MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs. vBulletin - On Digital Point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
You could Convert A VBulletin Theme To MyBB Kinda Complicated But Easy.
Yeah I'm a member of a huge vB forum and the admin has outright stated loads of stuff is disabled or otherwise compromised because the server simply can't handle it.
(2010-12-01, 02:45 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 02:30 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-30, 10:30 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB couldn't handle something like UbuntuForums. MyBB is a much smaller scale option. After working with databases, and seeing how large and how badly the wrong script works on them, you notice that they aren't all apples, some are oranges.

OK, so they can't be compared because in very specific cases they won't have the same function? Confused

Because each has what they are made for. MyBB is not made for a giant forum. MyBB is made to be used from a small forum, to a large one. Vbull is made to suit medium to very large.
No? Mybb is made to be used on any sized forum. Of course, the default features/theme would need to be updated with plugins/new themes depending on what you need. Or else you're basically running into battle without a gun.

However, Mybb was made for ALL sized forums and blows Vbulletin away in features, and even speed! I don't think any forums really have a 'size-specification', or else you'd lose customers because it needs to be ranged to be a fit-all product. I'm sure Mybb can compete with Vbulletin no matter what size.

(2010-12-01, 03:30 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 02:45 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 02:30 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-30, 10:30 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB couldn't handle something like UbuntuForums. MyBB is a much smaller scale option. After working with databases, and seeing how large and how badly the wrong script works on them, you notice that they aren't all apples, some are oranges.

OK, so they can't be compared because in very specific cases they won't have the same function? Confused

Because each has what they are made for. MyBB is not made for a giant forum. MyBB is made to be used from a small forum, to a large one. Vbull is made to suit medium to very large.
No? Mybb is made to be used on any sized forum. Of course, the default features/theme would need to be updated with plugins/new themes depending on what you need. Or else you're basically running into battle without a gun.

However, Mybb was made for ALL sized forums and blows Vbulletin away in features, and even speed! I don't think any forums really have a 'size-specification', or else you'd lose customers because it needs to be ranged to be a fit-all product. I'm sure Mybb can compete with Vbulletin no matter what size.

You do realize the MyBB codebase is about 10 years old? Its nothing to shame to say Vbull is better at managing larger sites. MyBB was made to be scalable. And it is, to its extent. Vbull extent just happened to be farther. I've seen it happen a few times. It comes down in the end to how much time and effort you are willing to put into a growing site, and if you have the time. I'm sure UbuntuForums could run MyBB. Though i'm sure it would be barebones and take weeks to import the database.
Yes I do, which is why in 2.0 it'll just blow them away more. And, could you please tell me how vBulletin can manage larger sites better?
(2010-12-01, 03:45 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I do, which is why in 2.0 it'll just blow them away more. And, could you please tell me how vBulletin can manage larger sites better?

2.0 is in about 3 years minimum my guess. Took about two from 1.4.4-1.6 from when i joined so thats about the bare minimum. Who knows what IB and VB can do by then.

And as to how? Its just made that way. Nothing else i really can say about that.
I agree with Joe, but 4 is growing on me.

vB ftw

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you.
Mark, if you can't defend vBulletin with something other than "it's made that way" then personally I don't believe you.
(2010-12-01, 03:36 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]You do realize the MyBB codebase is about 10 years old? Its nothing to shame to say Vbull is better at managing larger sites. MyBB was made to be scalable. And it is, to its extent. Vbull extent just happened to be farther. I've seen it happen a few times. It comes down in the end to how much time and effort you are willing to put into a growing site, and if you have the time. I'm sure UbuntuForums could run MyBB. Though i'm sure it would be barebones and take weeks to import the database.

And vBulletin's is about 6 years old. How is Mybb's codebase 10 years old? last rewrite according to Wikipedia was in 2006, Which according to my math is just 4 years.

(I'm just going off what wikipedia says about rewrites and the dates.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7