MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs. vBulletin - On Digital Point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2010-12-02, 12:41 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-02, 12:37 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-02, 12:28 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]The point is, they may prefer vBull, but a Mybb forum could run that with no problem. Personally I find vBulletin to be, as described above, a bulky software. It doesn't have many useful features, and I get the feeling that the admincp was coded by a monkey. It's so cluttered - I couldn't figure much out my first demo, and was overwhelmed.

I was actually about to purchase a vBulletin license too. But along with them having terrible support (so I've heard), I knew I couldn't live with the Admincp. And, I wasn't sure how long I could live with the default theme. Toungue

Explain to me why a few OPEN SOURCE giants would prefer to use a NON open source solution, when an OPENSOURCE solution would work.
I will as soon as you revise that post so I can understand it, please. Smile

It seems as if you are defending OS and not NOS.

I'm saying that if MyBB could handle ubuntu forums, they'd use it over a paid non open source solution, since they are a free open source solution. The merger would likely fail before the database could be transfered.
(2010-12-02, 12:42 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-02, 12:27 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 05:56 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 02:45 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Because each has what they are made for. MyBB is not made for a giant forum. MyBB is made to be used from a small forum, to a large one. Vbull is made to suit medium to very large.

I think you have to re-think on that comment Mark. There are several Huge MyBB forums which are running without any issue. HF is a best example among all.

Name me 300 more. I bet if you browsed topsites you could easily find 300 sites running Vbull that are that size. I don't think you could find even half MyBB wise.

The amount of "big" MyBB forums doesn't matter, isn't the point argued is that MyBB is made for Large boards as well?

Just because many of them aren't using MyBB doesn't mean MyBB wasn't intended for large communities as well.

The higher amount of vBulletin out there just tells me more people prefer it over MyBB - not that MyBB is only made for small forums >_>
This.

(2010-12-02, 12:44 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-02, 12:41 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-02, 12:37 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-02, 12:28 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]The point is, they may prefer vBull, but a Mybb forum could run that with no problem. Personally I find vBulletin to be, as described above, a bulky software. It doesn't have many useful features, and I get the feeling that the admincp was coded by a monkey. It's so cluttered - I couldn't figure much out my first demo, and was overwhelmed.

I was actually about to purchase a vBulletin license too. But along with them having terrible support (so I've heard), I knew I couldn't live with the Admincp. And, I wasn't sure how long I could live with the default theme. Toungue

Explain to me why a few OPEN SOURCE giants would prefer to use a NON open source solution, when an OPENSOURCE solution would work.
I will as soon as you revise that post so I can understand it, please. Smile

It seems as if you are defending OS and not NOS.

I'm saying that if MyBB could handle ubuntu forums, they'd use it over a paid non open source solution, since they are a free open source solution. The merger would likely fail before the database could be transfered.
Care to link me to Ubuntu through PM? I'll take a look and then see what I think to better defend my opinion.
Ubuntuforums.org there is the site. Register and ask, they will give the same response. XXX Script would not be able to handle our database. I made a thread here once trying to get people to help convince.
(2010-12-02, 12:27 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 05:56 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 02:45 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Because each has what they are made for. MyBB is not made for a giant forum. MyBB is made to be used from a small forum, to a large one. Vbull is made to suit medium to very large.

I think you have to re-think on that comment Mark. There are several Huge MyBB forums which are running without any issue. HF is a best example among all.

Name me 300 more. I bet if you browsed topsites you could easily find 300 sites running Vbull that are that size. I don't think you could find even half MyBB wise.

Thank proves nothing mark. Think about what you're saying.
To be fair, vBulletin 4 on default configuration couldn't handle a 6-digit (XXX,XXX) post forum. God knows why 1 week of public beta is good enough to release 4.1 for good.

Besides, the only open-source option Ubuntu Forums knows about is phpBB...
If they haven't seen the Mybb forum software, then this isn't up for debate.
The obvously have. I myself have done it multiple times.
Perhaps the stock converter won't work for a huge forum, no, that's pretty much common sense. Converting to a software as opposed to optimizing a software for maximum performance and whether or not a script can actually handle it are all separate things. HF has nearly as many posts as UF, and growing at an astonishing rate (I remember when labrocca posted about the 1/2 million post mark a few months ago).

Thus, your argument is mainly focused on the conversion aspect rather than the actual functionality.
But to be PERFECTLY fair to either software, both have to be optimized for maximal posts.
(2010-12-02, 02:54 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps the stock converter won't work for a huge forum

The MyBB Merge System can convert any sized forum. The only scaling factor is time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7