MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install New Copy Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey there,

I just wanted to know if this would work before I go ahead and do it. Our FTP is completely unorganised and to sort it we wish to take all the files offline. As the current copy of MyBB installed is 1.6.0 we will upgrade to 1.6.1.

If we remove all the files and then upload MyBB 1.6.1. Then install it and change the database to the old database will it work?

If any database updates have been made between version 1.6 and 1.6.1 it won't so if anyone knows this please let me know.

Thanks,
Clarkie
Just download the 1.6.1 changed files package from the blog announcement post, upload them to your server (making sure they overwrite them) and run the upgrader.
No, if you remove files and then after organizing FTP, re-upload new ones, it will not work.

Upgrade your MyBB without going to delete any thing.
Okay thanks for letting me know. Why would it not work? We'd install a new copy blank then simply redirect it to the old database?
That wouldn't work, because you haven't upgraded the database... It would give you errors because the forum would be 1.6.1 but the database would be 1.6.0
If you want to keep the db and not the files what i would do is.
1. Deactivate all plugins.
2. Upgrade the existing forum to 1.6.1
3. Delete your files
4. upload the new files
5. import the old db overwriting the db.

Hope that makes sense
That makes perfect sence. Thanks Smile
It seems this is being made more complicated than it needs to be. Once you've done whatever you need/want to do with your files (make sure you don't delete something you need like plugins, the cached CSS or uploads), upload the 1.6.1 files and run the upgrade script. Deactivating plugins shouldn't be necessary. Uploading the new files to upgrade the forum, then deleting files, and then uploading files again, doesn't make much sense to me, and you don't need to do anything with importing databases...
Thanks Matt, what we're doing is clearing our FTP and we want to do that offline. Also, there's lots of redundant MyBB files (files in MyBB folders) that need removing but without removing the current ones.

If I am backing up the database in phpMyAdmin what settings should I use?

I guess I could take all the files off, reinstall 1.6 and then merge it?
(2011-01-05, 05:56 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to keep the db and not the files what i would do is.
1. Deactivate all plugins.
2. Upgrade the existing forum to 1.6.1
3. Delete your files
4. upload the new files
5. import the old db overwriting the db.

Hope that makes sense
This is not helpful advice. For one, that isn't upgrading, because you're basically upgrading your site then just overwriting that with an old database.

I agree with Matt, this whole situation is just being made more complicated for no reason. Undecided
Pages: 1 2 3 4