MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB-es copyright infringements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Tierney Wrote:/facepalm.

He is stealing other peoples work. That is against the law. Period.
Some measures need to be taken if you don't want that to happen. Plus I would personally take anyone to court which claims he made my theme/software/addon/module or anything.

Also what about people releasing commercial mods for free? They should be also taken down.
Don't get me wrong, I don't support piracy but if I don't do anything to protect my work, it's my fault that someone ripped it and it's now sharing it over the web.
Conclusion: Implement callback to home website and license keys. Something similar like the people behind WP themes at Themeforest did.
None should get something for free which someone payed and the developer putted a lot of work in it to make it available! Also I'm not the troll here. Thank you.
(2011-02-18, 09:54 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]Conclusion: Implement callback to home website and license keys. Something similar like the people behind WP themes at Themeforest did.
None should get something for free which someone payed and the developer putted a lot of work in it to make it available! Also I'm not the troll here. Thank you.
The issue is that he's ripping the themes... this means that even if someone did implement a callback, when it's ripped, the callback will just get removed.

How else do you think there are versions of vBulletin out there that are given away for free? Someone goes through the code and removes the callback features.
Right, but WP themes support function files - MyBB doesn't. Aside from that, it's absolutely useless against someone who rips a theme. Secondly, my themes are protected by a license. I have absolutely no way of protecting myself from theme rippers other than by dealing with it as it comes. This is an issue with ripping themes and not software.
(2011-02-18, 09:30 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-18, 01:30 AM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]And so you're sending a DMCA to sure show him a thing or two? This is beyond stupid, especially when HostGator is going to side with its paying customer.

Hostgator is like a fascist government when it comes to copyright etc...
They are the only host I'll never use and/or trust due to the fact everyone who doesn't abide to moral rules is hosted there and they refuse to take those f*ckers down no matter how much evidence you send them.

This is from personal experience.

That is correct. As I was trying to tell you guys earlier HostGator won't do anything. The fact that Pirata asked for his themes to be removed and they complied makes it laughable that you guys are trying to get HostGator to do something when you could simply ask.

One of my friends hosts a site there and gets DMCA notices all the time, guess what happens? Nothing.

EDIT: No my friend is not this guy.
(2011-02-18, 09:48 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-18, 09:45 PM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-18, 09:40 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]Come on please, it's not like he is sharing warez files plus we all know how easy it is to steal something which is web based without proper protection. Technically if the some of the actions (DMCA) were taken sooner, you wouldn't need to worry. And for all people there making themes, implement some theme call home protecting system for god sake. Also to make your DMCA filling easier, use this software:http://killer.freshface.cz/.
Saves you a lot of time. A simple denial to theme demos *requiring registration wouldn't stop it but it would make it less. Also theme should come with license key and callback home. Anyway spotting ripped themes is a little harder than the pirated ones. And to answer my question, my software is freeware, and the other one coming up soon, features protection system to ban IP addresses for software use connecting with it to the internet if their license doesn't correspond with the one in our database. Better to protect sooner than to worry later.

/facepalm.

Hey so i'm gonna go steal your car. Oh you know the dangers of buying a car, someone might steal it.'

I'm not saying that stealing isn't going to happen. Murloc's point is that we shouldn't do anything about it. I disagree with that. If someone stole your car, you would want the cops to get the guy to give your car back and stop stealing cars alltogetger.
Tierney is right.
(2011-02-18, 10:52 PM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-18, 09:40 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]Come on please, it's not like he is sharing warez files plus we all know how easy it is to steal something which is web based without proper protection. Technically if the some of the actions (DMCA) were taken sooner, you wouldn't need to worry. And for all people there making themes, implement some theme call home protecting system for god sake. Also to make your DMCA filling easier, use this software:http://killer.freshface.cz/.
Saves you a lot of time. A simple denial to theme demos *requiring registration wouldn't stop it but it would make it less. Also theme should come with license key and callback home. Anyway spotting ripped themes is a little harder than the pirated ones. And to answer my question, my software is freeware, and the other one coming up soon, features protection system to ban IP addresses for software use connecting with it to the internet if their license doesn't correspond with the one in our database. Better to protect sooner than to worry later.

/facepalm.

Hey so i'm gonna go steal your car. Oh you know the dangers of buying a car, someone might steal it.'

I'm not saying that stealing isn't going to happen. Murloc's point is that we shouldn't do anything about it. I disagree with that. If someone stole your car, you would want the cops to get the guy to give your car back and stop stealing cars alltogetger.

(2011-02-18, 10:03 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Right, but WP themes support function files - MyBB doesn't. Aside from that, it's absolutely useless against someone who rips a theme. Secondly, my themes are protected by a license. I have absolutely no way of protecting myself from theme rippers other than by dealing with it as it comes. This is an issue with ripping themes and not software.

Well... there are kimd of ways to add a functions kind of file. Basically, make the theme rely heavily on a variable defined in a specific plugin for the theme and only make the variable get returned if a valid license key is entered. It's a hassle, but it is possible if you're all that bothered.
(2011-02-18, 10:52 PM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]

/facepalm.

That was directed at him. Sorry.
(2011-02-18, 11:12 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Well... there are kimd of ways to add a functions kind of file. Basically, make the theme rely heavily on a variable defined in a specific plugin for the theme and only make the variable get returned if a valid license key is entered. It's a hassle, but it is possible if you're all that bothered.

It still does zip for theme ripping. Besides, it's hardly worth the effort in the long run. It's virtually impossible to protect properly.
Exactly. It's just a fact of life for now. Every forum software I know of has the same issue too. Wordpress is a major exception in the fact it allows PHP execution.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9