MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RTFW.org
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Guys --> Heart
(2011-03-31, 06:59 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]You still have yet to give any specifics. You've merely insulted my eye for design and compared it to outdated websites and offered nothing. You, sir, are useless to me.

lol why do you think it needs to be handed to you on a silver platter? I'm not your designer. I said the colours are bad, so change the colors. The fonts are bad, so change the fonts. So funny to me that a dude who created a website about criticizing other websites can't take that same criticism. I predict a bright future for this one.

Look at MyBB themes that are clean and well received. Compare them to your theme. The differences will be quite glaring.
To appropriately be a critiquing website, your theme should resemble something that is critical, like a tabloid or gossip magazine. Interesting concept. I feel your site has potential. Nothing too bad to say about the theme itself except that it seems ironic. I wouldn't necessarily go to a tabloid for valid criticism, but I definitely wouldn't go to a comic book for constrictive criticism either. A gossip magazine/tabloid-style theme would echo satire and I feel would be more appropriate in that if some criticism were made about a person in a tabloid or gossip magazine they would more likely take it to heart and do something to correct the criticism as opposed to just brushing it off. The current theme, as is, could incorporate more of the colors found in the logo, and I personally would suggest it be made into a secondary theme.

If you need a designer, I can refer you to someone.

Good luck with the forum though Smile
(2011-03-31, 08:20 PM)Torengo Wrote: [ -> ]To appropriately be a critiquing website, your theme should resemble something that is critical, like a tabloid or gossip magazine. Interesting concept. I feel your site has potential. Nothing too bad to say about the theme itself except that it seems ironic. I wouldn't necessarily go to a tabloid for valid criticism, but I definitely wouldn't go to a comic book for constrictive criticism either. A gossip magazine/tabloid-style theme would echo satire and I feel would be more appropriate in that if some criticism were made about a person in a tabloid or gossip magazine they would more likely take it to heart and do something to correct the criticism as opposed to just brushing it off. The current theme, as is, could incorporate more of the colors found in the logo, and I personally would suggest it be made into a secondary theme.

Okay, I could see a tabloid/gossip magazine style theme for the website. My only issue is I don't read them so I don't know much about what makes them feel tabloid/gossipy. I'll look in to it, but my hands are a bit full right now with my main focus (a commission I'm getting paid for, which is the reason I spent so little time on this theme in the first place). I would rather not pay for a design, especially since (contrary to the belief of some) I can make my own designs.
(2011-03-31, 05:59 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]So if we were to drop the "constructive" aspect of the site, would you be okay with the current name? And if we chose not to, do you have any suggestions for replacing the "F" that don't sound like we're crapping out?

Also, I have yet to receive an actual suggestion for improving the theme. So far it's just been "the theme/colors suck." Keep in mind I made it (admittedly rather quickly) so I don't really see much wrong with it.

Finally, I'd rather have ads from the start so we don't have to deal with users complaining when we put them up (and you know they will).

That's not true. I think you just want all the little bits of money you can get, but I'd really recommend removing the advertisements until you get big enough. You can give reasons for adding them when you're big, and have them upgrade to remove them, that's fair. But having them there from the start is pretty stupid, just my opinion.
(2011-03-31, 09:19 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-31, 08:20 PM)Torengo Wrote: [ -> ]To appropriately be a critiquing website, your theme should resemble something that is critical, like a tabloid or gossip magazine. Interesting concept. I feel your site has potential. Nothing too bad to say about the theme itself except that it seems ironic. I wouldn't necessarily go to a tabloid for valid criticism, but I definitely wouldn't go to a comic book for constrictive criticism either. A gossip magazine/tabloid-style theme would echo satire and I feel would be more appropriate in that if some criticism were made about a person in a tabloid or gossip magazine they would more likely take it to heart and do something to correct the criticism as opposed to just brushing it off. The current theme, as is, could incorporate more of the colors found in the logo, and I personally would suggest it be made into a secondary theme.

Okay, I could see a tabloid/gossip magazine style theme for the website. My only issue is I don't read them so I don't know much about what makes them feel tabloid/gossipy. I'll look in to it, but my hands are a bit full right now with my main focus (a commission I'm getting paid for, which is the reason I spent so little time on this theme in the first place). I would rather not pay for a design, especially since (contrary to the belief of some) I can make my own designs.

You can take some inspiration from time.com, people.com, tmz.com, www.bild.de
(2011-03-31, 09:42 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-31, 05:59 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, I'd rather have ads from the start so we don't have to deal with users complaining when we put them up (and you know they will).

That's not true. I think you just want all the little bits of money you can get,

Okay, you're partially right. It's not so much want as need, since I don't have any consistent source of income. On top of that the other guy is expecting some kind of income so there's that. At least I'm trying to keep the ads relatively out of the way, and I won't be putting any more up.
If you need a consistent income, this isn't the way to do it. And despite what you may think, you can't design -- or at least, not in a way that's appealing to your target audience (which is, webmasters -- us). If you're the only one who likes your design, how much is that worth? If I glue a bunch of fabric together and claim to be a clothing designer, that doesn't help me if nobody wants to wear my ugly clothes.

Quote: I'll look in to it, but my hands are a bit full right now with my main focus (a commission I'm getting paid for, which is the reason I spent so little time on this theme in the first place).

Then why launch the website at all? What a bunch of lazy excuses. The irony here is amazing.
You've got to spend money first before you can make money. Buy a nice custom theme, and don't put ads up until you've got a few active members. If you don't make the ads to obnoxious (music/popup/video ads) then they won't even give a crap about the ads and they'll be happy that you're making some sort of income so you can keep the site up and running.

Alright, fine. I'll talk to the other guy about buying a theme for the site. I don't know if he'll be okay with removing the ads, but I'll bring it up too. I just wanted suggestions to try and make my design work. I knew it wasn't top-notch, I just didn't figure I would get personally attacked over it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6