MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tapatalk Forum App for MyBB - Calling for Beta Testers!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
At long last!

Been a while since our last post at this forum - as one of our top requests in 2010 and as we have promised to our users earlier, we will release MyBB support for Tapatalk API very soon.

If you have not heard of Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com), we makes Forum API that empower mobile app developers to develop forum application with a set of pre-defined Forum API that works across multiple forum system. Currently released mobile app that adheres with this API includes our official Tapatalk iPhone, Android and BlackBerry app; and also Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile 6.5 and webOS app from third party developers as well.

Our vision is to create a open Forum API ecosystem that anyone can use it. The API and our official supported plugin is free of charge and no royalty fee is required.

Our business model is to provide professional customization services with reusable assets surrounding this API, we make money with this and continue to fund the development / maintenance of plugins on more forum systems.

We are currently conducting internal testing of MyBB plugin for Tapatalk and we would like to invite MyBB forum owners to give it a spin and work with us to resolve the last few issues in preparation of our 1.0 release.

If you are a forum owner currently with a live MyBB-powered community, drop us a PM (with your email address so we can send you the beta build) here and we will work with you to get started.

Looking forward hearing from you!!
I would advise anyone thinking of using this to use this free, much more customizable, and overall higher-quality plugin instead:

http://www.mybbgm.com
Sounds great! Glad to see a forum runner alternative available too - especially such a good one. I'd have been up for beta testing had I not shut my site.

@Uncontrol above: While I agree that mybbgm is great, many forum users use tapatalk already to visit vBulletin and phpBB powered sites. Allowing them to add your site to the app and access all their forums from one place makes much more sense for them than having to load up tapatalk then a separate browser just for your site. When I moved to MyBB from vB, tapatalk was a much missed feature.
(2011-04-20, 03:52 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I would advise anyone thinking of using this to use this free, much more customizable, and overall higher-quality plugin instead:

That's a theme, not an app - apples and oranges.
(2011-04-20, 03:54 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]@Uncontrol above: While I agree that mybbgm is great, many forum users use tapatalk already to visit vBulletin and phpBB powered sites. Allowing them to add your site to the app and access all their forums from one place makes much more sense for them than having to load up tapatalk then a separate browser just for your site. When I moved to MyBB from vB, tapatalk was a much missed feature.

What do you care about what other sites your users are visiting? Your priority is how your users view your site. So either they have to pay for an app that allows them to see your forum on a bland app or have a customized mobile view that fits your site's style and they don't have to pay for it at all? They can just view it right in their mobile browser. You know, like a website.

How many people actually use Tapatalk? I guess for tech affluent websites the percentage is going to be much higher than other sites. At the very least, you should be running MyBBGM for your users who don't have Tapatalk, and don't want to pay to view your website on their device properly.

(2011-04-20, 03:58 PM)Darkimmortal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-20, 03:52 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I would advise anyone thinking of using this to use this free, much more customizable, and overall higher-quality plugin instead:

You're right; it's better to not have to load an app to view a mobile version of a website.
(2011-04-20, 04:08 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-20, 03:54 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]@Uncontrol above: While I agree that mybbgm is great, many forum users use tapatalk already to visit vBulletin and phpBB powered sites. Allowing them to add your site to the app and access all their forums from one place makes much more sense for them than having to load up tapatalk then a separate browser just for your site. When I moved to MyBB from vB, tapatalk was a much missed feature.

What do you care about what other sites your users are visiting? Your priority is how your users view your site. So either they have to pay for an app that allows them to see your forum on a bland app or have a customized mobile view that fits your site's style and they don't have to pay for it at all? They can just view it right in their mobile browser. You know, like a website.

How many people actually use Tapatalk? I guess for tech affluent websites the percentage is going to be much higher than other sites. At the very least, you should be running MyBBGM for your users who don't have Tapatalk, and don't want to pay to view your website on their device properly.

(2011-04-20, 03:58 PM)Darkimmortal Wrote: [ -> ]

You're right; it's better to not have to load an app to view a mobile version of a website.

Valid points, but I ran a gaming forum where a large number of the users already had tapatalk to view other gaming forums etc. I did install MyBBGM when I moved over, but some of them still preferred tapatalk for the simplicity. All I'm trying to say is that it's nice to have the option. Plus, does it really hurt for you to install it? It is free to install after-all then the option's there for people.

+1. Personally I hate Tapatalk, and using phpBB for a forum I was developing made me miss that awesome GoMobile theme.

euantor Wrote:Plus, does it really hurt for you to install it? It is free to install after-all then the option's there for people.

Well, the pop up when someone visits the site on a mobile device is irritating. And I would end up buying the darned app to browse the forum with, to test it thoroughly, and I'm all for the free stuff that's available and already works great.
The popup is easily fixed by altering the included JS file.

As I mentioned in another thread, my personal preference is to use an aggregate app rather than a mobile theme, however I have MyBBGM installed for those that don't. As I purchased this app long ago, it only makes sense to continue to use it.

Count me in as a beta tester. Won't be the first time my forum has been used to aid in developing TT. You're welcome Android users.
IMO just wait for an app that your users won't have to pay for?
I'm with Uncontrol and the rest. I dislike Tapatalk and while MyBBGM is buggy, it's still very good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4