MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux deleted it self.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
You guys, I really need help. I don't know what happened. I was using my computer just fine this morning, I took my dog for a walk, turned off the computer, and when I came back I tried to turn it on and for some reason Ubuntu is telling me that it doesn't exist! It's saying that /dev/(something) doesn't exist.

I'm dual booting with OSX, so I logged into OSX, went to disk utilitys and it is saying disk0s4 and Linux Swap are unmounted. I don't know what to do guys and Ubuntu has all my pictures and videos on it and I really need it back. Even if I can't get Ubuntu to work again I at least need my pictures back.

Any help would be really great.

I also have a picture of the error message it's giving me if you need that.
Have you tried remounting the drives?
Can't do it from Mac... since I don't have "sufficient permissions" and for some reason my live CD won't boot D=

Trying to get hold of my brother so he can give me his password... this is one reason I switched to Ubuntu.... he went to NewYork and didn't give me any of his passwords >.<
Try a different Linux image, something like Mint Smile quick download on a reasonable connection
Alright. Than if Mint boots how can I mount it?

From terminal or is there a screen I can use?

Sorry for teh noobz
Mint is a livecd so you should have a GUI.
But that wont help him get the installed Ubuntu back.

Normally if you're encountering this its because your drive isn't being recognized by the boot loader for some reason.

Regardless, you can't "mount" them from another OS and have it help because it only mounts for THAT OS. Not for Ubuntu.
Could he not boot into a liveCd ubuntu and mount?
My recommendation is to get a LiveCD, backup your data and re-install Ubuntu again.
If you can't access your Linux HD partition from the LiveCD, something's wrong.
Tried using the ubuntu 10.10 CD I had while I was downloading Mint and it gave me the exact same error message as when I tried to boot from the HD.

So I'm burning mint now (I'm slow, I know) and I'll try to use it as soon as it's done.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8