MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notifications as in XenForo and esoTalk!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
MyBB just hasn't had a 'major' release in a long time. It's already been confirmed that 2.0 will have a WYSIWYG editor...

I am not saying that we won't want notifications in 2.0 - I am just offering my alternative, in the meantime or in case it doesn't happen solutions, as 'primitive' as they may be; they work.

We already use Ajax for a few things. We are not blind to this.
(2012-03-06, 11:14 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]OP means this, and I disagree that MyBB should add it.

[Image: mXwYv.png]

[Image: 7Sal.png]

Yes, that was what I meant. Sorry for my bad english, I just try doing my best!
Imho unified notifications/alerts system is a must have for any web app oriented on user interaction.
To be honest if it's something that can be disabled I'd love for this to be implemented. You could always adjust it and not have it email users, instead have it PM them or other methods. Granted for big-boards it can be hell, but sites like this seem to cope http://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/.
(2012-03-07, 03:37 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest if it's something that can be disabled I'd love for this to be implemented. You could always adjust it and not have it email users, instead have it PM them or other methods. Granted for big-boards it can be hell, but sites like this seem to cope http://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/.

This ^

(2012-03-07, 02:12 PM)Rafio Wrote: [ -> ]Imho unified notifications/alerts system is a must have for any web app oriented on user interaction.

This too ^

I want my board to be more interactive, many, I mean "many" members on my board have been asking for that, I don't care about CPU usage, I'm ready to upgrade my server, in my opinion, it's a must.
(2012-03-07, 05:48 AM)HBB Wrote: [ -> ]Next 20 years, we will can be alerted to subscribed threads(etc) in the way is mentioned! but, It won't be customary.
Xenforo (and the other boards) are swapping their old ways with new ones using Jquery and Ajax. Xenforo probabely will solve its problems with ajax graduately and everyday so better.
What about MyBB? MyBB still doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor as default! when a large scale of boards are possessing a wysiwyg as in: SMF, Xenforo, Vanilla, vBulletin, ...
Escaping from ajax(or new things) will kill MyBB!

MyBB 2.0 will have WYSIWYG as default. I personally prefer the normal bbCode editor though.
People expect sites to run like Facebook. But you try that stuff on shared hosting and you'll need a dedicated when you have 30 users online at once.

This is FREE software. If you can afford $100+ a month for a dedicated to run software you can afford a XF license for all those spiffy features.

I prefer lean and mean myself.

But if options are added I'm hoping MyBB knows to create toggle features for just about everything. Of course that will make the software more complex and prone to bugs. Yippee.
If this is added there will be an option to turn it off, no worries Smile
Hm, I definitely don't have a dedicated server, and when I have 70+ members on (With Xenforo) I get no slowdown. xp I use the cheapest ipage package available btw. Not to mention the 700+ Pokemon images I host on my site that people constantly hotlink. I mean, unless I'm missing it I don't see too much of a problem.

But that aside a simple option to turn it off would obviously fix that, like it's been said. xD
(2012-03-07, 07:57 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]People expect sites to run like Facebook. But you try that stuff on shared hosting and you'll need a dedicated when you have 30 users online at once.

I dont belive alert system could be such big performace hit for server. You can store new alerts count and cache of last 3 alerts in users table so you dont even have to make that one extra db query to get those alerts from separate table, but even then if that table was running on engine with good concurrency support (Postgres or InnoDB) it would'nt cause server to sweat.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8