MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notifications as in XenForo and esoTalk!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
He won't come to know if you disable the feature. Just a tag with linked with profile name is left.
Well, 99% of my users have used vB and they of course want all the fancy features it had, which is what makes people excited about forums.

I installed AJAX PM Notification but this won't suffice.

Labrocca mentioned Myspace. Well, if platforms resist innovation, they'll not resist the ultimate tribunal: Users.

You can't resist against people's desires and fight them saying "I think this is not needed", "I think it is a waste". It's not what you or me think that we will dictate the discourse, people will just move on and you either are with them or not.
Basically the two major things I want notification system for is reputation and subscribed threads.
Quote:Labrocca mentioned Myspace. Well, if platforms resist innovation, they'll not resist the ultimate tribunal: Users.

If I recall Myspace tried adding more and more features to be "innovative" and ended up turning off users who switched to the simpler interface of FB.

Myspace is a great lesson on what NOT to do for a website.

Quote:Basically the two major things I want notification system for is reputation and subscribed threads.

Those would be easy to code and to be honest those are decent notifications. The one real notification I'm against is the one OP mentions which is to be notified if you get quoted. I have 70-80 users with 10k+ posts. They are likely being quoted 100-200 per day.

But notification of reps and subsribed threads should be super easy. Heck...maybe I'll code it quick.
I know Tomm M is working on a notification system but he said he won't launch it until 1.8 beta.
(2012-04-27, 06:53 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Labrocca mentioned Myspace. Well, if platforms resist innovation, they'll not resist the ultimate tribunal: Users.

If I recall Myspace tried adding more and more features to be "innovative" and ended up turning off users who switched to the simpler interface of FB.

Myspace is a great lesson on what NOT to do for a website.

Well, because Myspace had a market niche completely different from Facebook. At best you can say that Facebook had a serious boost from Hi5 quitters.

One cannot draw a parallel line between unique social platforms and forum software. Forum software is a tool, not the platform. You can't grab a Myspace or Facebook distribution and start your own network.

On the other hand, forums migrate from VB to Mybb and viceversa everyday and, let's face it: VB leads the way, it's the reference, it's used by at least 70% of forums. The only reason for not being used by 95% is not being free.

Why are most of people here? You know the answer: Mybb is the closest you can get to VB for free. We can't ignore the elephant in the room.
(2012-03-07, 05:48 AM)HBB Wrote: [ -> ]Next 20 years, we will can be alerted to subscribed threads(etc) in the way is mentioned!

"Next 20 years", forums will disappear into the void, and the next big social networks will take over completely. A depressing, but likely reality. Facebook is the communication tool for the lazy, which is why many sites are integrating Facebook support. Want to register on a site? No, that takes too long! CONNECT with FACEBOOK! Fewer clicks = greater results. Go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlV5_4L6WNs
Quote:One cannot draw a parallel line between unique social platforms and forum software.

I can agree with that. But comparisons are often made.

Quote:On the other hand, forums migrate from VB to Mybb and viceversa everyday and, let's face it: VB leads the way, it's the reference, it's used by at least 70% of forums.

I think they are losing market share and I think since Internet Brands purchased the project it's lost direction. I don't see VB being the power house it was in 3 years from now. I made a point in another thread that we don't see "X feature like in VB" as much as we see "X feature like XF".

Quote:"Next 20 years", forums will disappear into the void, and the next big social networks will take over completely.

I don't see that happening. phpbb which wasn't even the first forum software is now 12 years old. Essentially the web hasn't changed really all that much. What's going on now which is going to make a difference is mobile apps. If anything I'd love it if MyBB built an App API to make it easier for developers to quickly make a full blown app for android or iphone.

There are a lot of differences with forum software which makes it unique enough and attractive enough that it should be around in some form for a long time. It's like saying blogs will disappear because of FB. People will not convert their entire web lives onto FB. I know I won't. I spend only .1 percent of my online time at FB. I hardly use it at all. I don't see the appeal. There is nothing there but friends who want me to look at some pics. People I see all the time and can have a real convo with.
This is a screenshot of what I have so far.

[Image: MipoU.png]

The plugin hooks into common functions that a user can perform and logs it. It then outputs it in a user friendly way. I plan to expand it for user-specific actions such as private messages and replies to your own posts, but I've just spent today working on it.

I'm honestly surprised that a notification system hasn't already been made...

Edit: Slightly improved screenshot. I will be working on it over the next couple of days, but the plugin itself is working fine.

[Image: 9luin.png]
If that's the kind of inane information I'm going to get from a notification system, I don't want it either ... I don't think that's what people are imagining or asking for.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8