MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notifications as in XenForo and esoTalk!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I like the idea and supported it since it first appeared.

It could also help board owners to keep their users online for more time {^_^} instead of having them logging in and out waiting for e-mail notices (not applyable for all scenarios, but still it would contribute by making the community more interactive).
(2012-03-07, 07:57 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]People expect sites to run like Facebook. But you try that stuff on shared hosting and you'll need a dedicated when you have 30 users online at once.

This is FREE software. If you can afford $100+ a month for a dedicated to run software you can afford a XF license for all those spiffy features.

I prefer lean and mean myself.

But if options are added I'm hoping MyBB knows to create toggle features for just about everything. Of course that will make the software more complex and prone to bugs. Yippee.

The way you're projecting it is that you NEED a dedicated server if you want this feature, I disagree. It can be optimized enough to be no where near a big a hit as you think it will be and if there's an option to disable it completely then what's the fuss? I disagree that just because we're on free software we can't have nice features - that's not what MyBB is about in my opinion.

I don't think anyone expects their forums to run like Facebook, it's just finding neat features which their users want, and will certainly help boost activity on their forums.
(2012-03-08, 02:30 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]The way you're projecting it is that you NEED a dedicated server if you want this feature, I disagree. It can be optimized enough to be no where near a big a hit as you think it will be and if there's an option to disable it completely then what's the fuss? I disagree that just because we're on free software we can't have nice features - that's not what MyBB is about in my opinion.

I don't think anyone expects their forums to run like Facebook, it's just finding neat features which their users want, and will certainly help boost activity on their forums.

I agree with this. Just because it's free doesn't mean we have to sacrifice usability/features.

Modernization is going to happen whether everyone is 100% ready or not. Right now, social networking and status updates are big. Ditto with notifications.

If MyBB can't stay up with modern times, then it is going to feel older and older.
^ Agree. This "OMG IT'S NOT A SOCIAL NETWORK" attitude needs to stop. Forums are their own type of social network, and this sort of information is invaluable. That said, I know Tomm M is working on a plugin like this for 1.6 ...
I agree with this as well. People are joining the bandwaggon to ditch ideas the second they're posted only because they're available in a social network. Like Uncontrol said, forums are social networks, albeit a lot more information based, but still there for people to easily connect and stay interested in activity going on. Imo this feature would help that idea out a lot.
I've wanted this kind of system for a while now. It saves people searching for threads of interest and so you can stay up to date with the forum.

I plan on writing a plugin based off the moderator logging system. To log actions of a moderator, you must provide a user ID, an ID of whatever they moderated and some text to explain what they did. Using that model, it should be easy to write a notifications system that takes those similar values. The tricky part is displaying notifications to specific usergroups, but I'm thinking of ways to do it.
Quote:People are joining the bandwaggon to ditch ideas the second they're posted only because they're available in a social network. Like Uncontrol said, forums are social networks, albeit a lot more information based

Forums are not social networks. They have aspects of social networks but forums were here FIRST. Keep that in mind. Social sites copy more from forums than the other way around.

Forums had buddy lists years before MySpace or Facebook. Which I think were aspects stolen from instant messaging systems. Years ago shoutboxes & chats for forums were a rage because they copied IM features. Which is now part of Facebook of course.

Forums can borrow ideas and aspects from other genres but the real force in any forum is content and activity.
(2012-04-26, 05:51 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Forums can borrow ideas and aspects from other genres but the real force in any forum is content and activity.

Which is where notifications comes into play.
(2012-04-26, 05:52 AM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-26, 05:51 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Forums can borrow ideas and aspects from other genres but the real force in any forum is content and activity.

Which is where notifications comes into play.

Odd....you responded to my posts 1 minute after I made it...all without any modification to the existing MyBB notification system.

So you only proved my point. We just don't need any Ajax notification system. You'll see the regular MyBB notification as soon as you click a new page or if you want you can get an email or pm notification.

What more do you REALLY need?
Profile comments imho are not very different from how reputation already works. It can easily be a plugin to leave latest 10 reps on their profile.

What I'd like to see is better tools for the buddy list and for groups. Both are under-utilized and yet part of MyBB already.

Examples include permission to allow only those on your buddy list to see your profile. MyBB did add option for only buddy list to PM recently.

Currently the custom groups don't have logs for who was added or removed. And you can't bulk pm contact your group as a group leader. Would be nice for something along those lines.

I really think MyBB can be a lot more innovative than simply adding "X feature like X forum".

What does MyBB NEED? Really think about that. NEED vs want.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8