MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notifications as in XenForo and esoTalk!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2012-04-28, 07:27 PM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]This is a screenshot of what I have so far.

[Image: MipoU.png]

The plugin hooks into common functions that a user can perform and logs it. It then outputs it in a user friendly way. I plan to expand it for user-specific actions such as private messages and replies to your own posts, but I've just spent today working on it.

I'm honestly surprised that a notification system hasn't already been made...

Edit: Slightly improved screenshot. I will be working on it over the next couple of days, but the plugin itself is working fine.

[Image: 9luin.png]

Check out Nudges system on Iosnut.com, that'll be good.
Looks like the old Spy plugin that DP used to run on it's VB forum.

Technically that's not a notification system.
(2012-04-28, 04:35 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:One cannot draw a parallel line between unique social platforms and forum software.

I can agree with that. But comparisons are often made.

Quote:On the other hand, forums migrate from VB to Mybb and viceversa everyday and, let's face it: VB leads the way, it's the reference, it's used by at least 70% of forums.

I think they are losing market share and I think since Internet Brands purchased the project it's lost direction. I don't see VB being the power house it was in 3 years from now. I made a point in another thread that we don't see "X feature like in VB" as much as we see "X feature like XF".

Quote:"Next 20 years", forums will disappear into the void, and the next big social networks will take over completely.

I don't see that happening. phpbb which wasn't even the first forum software is now 12 years old. Essentially the web hasn't changed really all that much. What's going on now which is going to make a difference is mobile apps. If anything I'd love it if MyBB built an App API to make it easier for developers to quickly make a full blown app for android or iphone.

There are a lot of differences with forum software which makes it unique enough and attractive enough that it should be around in some form for a long time. It's like saying blogs will disappear because of FB. People will not convert their entire web lives onto FB. I know I won't. I spend only .1 percent of my online time at FB. I hardly use it at all. I don't see the appeal. There is nothing there but friends who want me to look at some pics. People I see all the time and can have a real convo with.

100% agree with every point.

Forums still have the charm. And Mybb is a software with potential to compete with commercial software, it just needs more programmers and analysts involved, needs more people verifying plugins, and if I may say, needs more professionalism - for example one can not announce he is going to release 1.8 and then refuse to discuss a time frame. There are people who actually need to plan things and it's unthinkable to be professional and depend on "I'm going to release when I have time and don't ask me again because today my football team lost". Or "don't ask for that feature because I don't like it".

I'm exaggerating a bit but sure you understand me.
(2012-04-27, 01:10 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Basically the two major things I want notification system for is reputation and subscribed threads.

MYSELF Wrote:I plan to expand it for user-specific actions such as private messages and replies to your own posts,

The system can easily be expanded for reputation and subscribed threads since all it does is use hooks.

Edit: Like this... [Image: 9CpCy.png]

(2012-04-28, 09:19 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the old Spy plugin that DP used to run on it's VB forum.

The only "spy" plugin I've heard of just lists new posts and refreshes it every few seconds.

(2012-04-28, 09:19 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Technically that's not a notification system.

Well what do you want then? As I've said in my previous post (and this one) it can be modified to display user-specific notifications such as messages to the current user, updates to subscribed threads. I could even make it compatible with other plugins like the like/thank you one, so it notifies you when someone likes your post.

At this time I've coded the system to store moderator actions (sticky thread, move thread, etc.) user profile updates (new sig, new avatar, change name) and member logging out/in. If you check out this list of hooks you can see what is possible.
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/spy.php

Should be easy to modify something like that to include other actions.

I actually wrote a MyBB version.
http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-5.html

It's for 1.2x so it would probably need adjustments for 1.6x.

The way the DP one works uses it's own table according to Shawn. That's sort of efficient since grabbing from a massive posts table might be more of an issue for resources.
Wow that DP thing is horrible. Impossible to read too since it is constantly moving.
(2012-04-29, 06:07 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Wow that DP thing is horrible. Impossible to read too since it is constantly moving.

Click on the pause button :p
Yeah that's very similar to what I've done, but I plan to have it notify you of actions other users perform on/with you.

I've finished with adding templates and settings for the plugin. I've also (easily) integrated it with the thankyou/like system and assume that it's just as easy for any other plugin.
The thing mentioned above doesnt look like a notification system. Its more of rss reader.
Currently I have hired a coder for developing a notification plugin for CHF.
(2012-04-28, 08:47 PM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]Check out Nudges system on Iosnut.com, that'll be good.
+1 That's all we are asking for I think...

(2012-04-30, 08:46 AM)ProVirus Wrote: [ -> ]The thing mentioned above doesnt look like a notification system. Its more of rss reader.
Currently I have hired a coder for developing a notification plugin for CHF.

I don't understand why coders keep making the cool stuff private.. I mean I can't afford to pay for a private custom made plugin.. They should be at least premium at a decent price.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8