MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Showcase forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hey i have a question, could we maybe get a new rule on the showcase forum?

Since every single forum is apparently copying Hackforums with the tabs. And every single one of them is just the same sections, forums and tabs with a different Theme wrapped around it. Its becoming quite stupid to say the least.
So i have a question, can we maybe get a rule:
"Below X number of threads/post you are not allowed to have more then X amount of Tabs/Sections?"
Or get some form of moderation that each showcase thread would have to be approved. So that every Hackforums copy can just be removed from the showcase forum.
I dont want to say people dont deserve feedback, but you could almost create a text file containing the following text:

Quote:To many sections, forums and tabs. That serve no purpose what so ever, also using tabs and sections completely unrelated to the theme / goal of the site.
Having VIP areas while not having any members to support something like that.
(then maybe some lines from yourself)

Suggestion changed quite a bit:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-122744-...#pid886394

Quote:Thats my point, MyBBs focuss should be to showcase what MyBB is capable off. Thats why maybe the whole showcase forum is a badly chosen name.

A "Looking for feedback" forum would be better suited and the showcase should be in my opinion something ran by MyBB itself to showcase MyBB forums that stand out of the crowd.

Like for example yours Brad and the one from Leefish. Something that the moderators choose to showcase clearly.
Now it just shows you how to copy Hackforums most of the times.
As much as I hate, hate, hate almost all of the stuff being posted in the Showcase forum recently, I don't think we should be dictating what posters can and cannot do with their forums (short of hacking etc.).

Maybe the simple truth is the Showcase forum is destined to suck because most of the admins using MyBB suck.
I agree - we cannot dictate how people should run their forums.

I am not sure how we can stop these newbie tabs fans posting, or even if we should.

I do think that perhaps the showcase should actually not be used for promoting a site to get new members. It should be for those forums that have either a great theme or some very cool modifications or are using the mybb software in a smart way to get their board active.
What exactly is the purpose of the Showcase to the MyBB project? Is it for admins to get members or is it to show what MyBB is capable of? This is something the MyBB team needs to answer for itself. I think the Showcase forum makes MyBB look pretty bad.
I haven't been copying any other forum with my design!
It's for admins to show off their forums, that's it. Clearly some of them do give MyBB a bad image, but what can we do about it? Say "Your forum sucks" and delete the thread? You can't even put it in a nice way. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see Showcase be more of a "what is MyBB capable of" type of section, I just don't see an easy solution for it.
(2012-07-17, 07:07 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly is the purpose of the Showcase to the MyBB project? Is it for admins to get members or is it to show what MyBB is capable of? This is something the MyBB team needs to answer for itself. I think the Showcase forum makes MyBB look pretty bad.

Thats my point, MyBBs focuss should be to showcase what MyBB is capable off. Thats why maybe the whole showcase forum is a badly chosen name.

A "Looking for feedback" forum would be better suited and the showcase should be in my opinion something ran by MyBB itself to showcase MyBB forums that stand out of the crowd.

Like for example yours Brad and the one from Leefish. Something that the moderators choose to showcase clearly.
Now it just shows you how to copy Hackforums most of the times.
I agree that mybb needs to showcase its abilities with good looking unusual forums that show what the software is capable of.

The community forum is to show what mybb is like out of the box; the Showcase should be to show what it can be edited to be with some plugins and/or ingenuity and time and effort.

Maybe have another forum called polish and promote and showcase should be for those forums that are so good that they are invited to post their site in it?

The reason for the invite could be the great theme, or the excellent management or the neat way of using the software.

PS _ I would hesitate to mention my little hobby site in the same BREATH as Brad's site.
Yeah, actually, that makes a lot of sense. I'll bring it up internally.
Honestly I completely disagree with trying to limited users ability to showcase their new sites here for whatever reason.. The first mybb copy I showcased here was dreadful.. and the only reason I got to where I am today is b/c of the harsh criticisms I received that motivated me to improve..

Sure not everyone will turn out like me and if they did frankly then the world we live in would be nothing but rainbows and butterflies b/c everyone would be perfect..

Having a place to 'learn your lesson' is very valuable in this community I believe and something we shouldn't look down on, but rather be proud of..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5