MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: OMG He Ripped my Work!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Oh, don't get confused after seeing the title, This doesn't happened to me. Actually this is a common dialogue in the "Development" section now-a-days, Not in just MyBB but in many other Development Forums.

In Replies:

1) OMG, He/She stole my collapse button!
2) Text-Shadow in that area was My idea!
3) That Post-bit style looks Way too similar with XYZ theme.
4) I think you copied this from XYZ source!
5) IPB looking theme, Ripper!!
6) You copied everything and changed the background! :O
7) XYZ and ABC.. same theme? way too similar!

In PMs & Emails:

1) You @#$# Ripper! I will DDoS you site!
2) Put my Copyright back or say bye bye to your Host!
3) I will contact my lawyer if you don't put the copyright back!
4) This is exactly what I expect from a N**B Designer, who can't create his own designs.

Abuses, abuses and abuses.....

After so many Replies:

1) Staff: Find another place to fight each other! (Closes the thread)
2) Staff: Thats Enough! (Closes the thread)

Note: This thread wasn't meant to point somebody in here or any other forum.
So, it happens. We pretty much know this. Your point in posting about it is...? Are you asking our opinion on what to do with such people or how to stop it?

I don't get the point of you posting this. :s
(2012-08-24, 02:16 PM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get the point of you posting this. :s
Yes, the main aim of this thread is to discuss about this matter freely. How to stop this, Is anyone has faced these kinda situation or not, What did they do after facing that etc.
Maybe people should, uh, stop stealing other people's work?
(2012-08-24, 02:25 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe people should, uh, stop stealing other people's work?

Sounds like a good idea to me.
(2012-08-24, 02:25 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe people should, uh, stop stealing other people's work?

Sounds legit. Perhaps we should also ask people to stop pirating movies and music. It would be just as easy I suppose.
I'm not defending theme rippers, or even pirates for that matter, but I think we can't really expect them to stop just because it's 'not right' or 'illegal'.

And That day, when it get stopped, That would be an Official Developers' Independence Day.
At the very least, I think the MyBB team needs a real policy on how to handle such issues here. It's easy enough to dust your hands of the issue and say, "this isn't about us" -- which is technically true -- but if hacking websites can't have a place here, why is theft largely silently accepted? Members who are proven copyright infringers who are stealing the designs of other forums shouldn't be allowed to be here.

@BlackChaos: You're not allowed to discuss those things here, either, or post sites about them.
(2012-08-24, 03:10 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]At the very least, I think the MyBB team needs a real policy on how to handle such issues here. It's easy enough to dust your hands of the issue and say, "this isn't about us" -- which is technically true -- but if hacking websites can't have a place here, why is theft largely silently accepted? Members who are proven copyright infringers who are stealing the designs of other forums shouldn't be allowed to be here.

I agree. Clearing the involvement of the software developers and managers is understandable, but if theme rippers or 'inspired' people are let off with just a warning, it is only going to increase their confidence in the fact that there won't be any direct negative impact on them for stealing other people's work or uniqueness in design.
Then again, its an open-source software. There could be little that MyBB can do to directly stop theme ripping.

(2012-08-24, 03:10 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]@BlackChaos: You're not allowed to discuss those things here, either, or post sites about them.

Global forum rules Wrote:While it's acceptable for such topics to be included as an element to a discussion please set boundaries and keep a distance from discussions that might be incriminating.

I only used it as an element in the discussion at hand. I did not directly discuss it or its methods in any way, not accused any specific person of being involved in it. I'm pretty much in the clear.
I don't know if its me or what, but I just has a feeling that theme ripping has been drastically increased from 15 months or so. With the increase number of theme production sites, the ratio of theme ripping has been increased aswell.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6