MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can MyBB compete with commercial forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I've seen many people say so and I agree to some extent. I'm curious to know what some staff and BBOs think.

By the looks, MyBB 1.8 can compete with XenForo!
Sure we can. Do you want bloated software, or just what you need and the ability to easily add more features? Do you want blazing fast or turtle slow? How about a great security history?

Sometimes I see people use IPB of XF just because "MyBB has no good themes". They just haven't looked around enough.
(2012-09-10, 05:02 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]Sure we can. Do you want bloated software, or just what you need and the ability to easily add more features? Do you want blazing fast or turtle slow? How about a great security history?

Sometimes I see people use IPB of XF just because "MyBB has no good themes". They just haven't looked around enough.
Not to mention how much time commercial software consumes on installing... let alone buying it.

I think a big part is because of the "I want this because no one else has it or can't afford it."

MyBB is very good, 1.8 will destroy XenForo, maybe even IP B?
Hm. I have a good bit of experience with forum software (specifically vBulletin) and I have to say that MyBB leaves some things to be desired. (inb4gangkill) I know that often people ask for a CMS, etc and the only answer is that MyBB isn't a community suite, but perhaps its time to expand the operation a little? Maybe find a developer to join the team who will work exclusively on "official" MyBB plugins? I know that part of the appeal to me for the IP Suite is that anything I could ever really want is available from them for a pretty reasonable price. I know that when I get around to learning all of this stuff (wait to tackle trying anything until after I finish CSC101), the first thing I'm going to do is work on a CMS plugin.

Anywho, that mini-rant over I have to say that the only real threats I consider are the IP Suite (honestly, I think it might be the best forum package out there) and vBulletin (mainly because of the following it has garnered [thus a large database of plugins, etc] and the sheer ability to customize it so much).

Essentially, MyBB is one of the best forum systems out there, but it is lacking in a few areas.
(2012-09-10, 05:08 AM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]Hm. I have a good bit of experience with forum software (specifically vBulletin) and I have to say that MyBB leaves some things to be desired. (inb4gangkill) I know that often people ask for a CMS, etc and the only answer is that MyBB isn't a community suite, but perhaps its time to expand the operation a little? Maybe find a developer to join the team who will work exclusively on "official" MyBB plugins? I know that part of the appeal to me for the IP Suite is that anything I could ever really want is available from them for a pretty reasonable price. I know that when I get around to learning all of this stuff (wait to tackle trying anything until after I finish CSC101), the first thing I'm going to do is work on a CMS plugin.

Anywho, that mini-rant over I have to say that the only real threats I consider are the IP Suite (honestly, I think it might be the best forum package out there) and vBulletin (mainly because of the following it has garnered [thus a large database of plugins, etc] and the sheer ability to customize it so much).

Essentially, MyBB is one of the best forum systems out there, but it is lacking in a few areas.
Yes thats a good point but you have to take in account that $150 - $250 is a lot of money, not considering the price of a theme for it.

I believe IP Board lost when the 3.14 UI was released, it's extremely ugly.
(2012-09-10, 05:17 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-10, 05:08 AM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]Hm. I have a good bit of experience with forum software (specifically vBulletin) and I have to say that MyBB leaves some things to be desired. (inb4gangkill) I know that often people ask for a CMS, etc and the only answer is that MyBB isn't a community suite, but perhaps its time to expand the operation a little? Maybe find a developer to join the team who will work exclusively on "official" MyBB plugins? I know that part of the appeal to me for the IP Suite is that anything I could ever really want is available from them for a pretty reasonable price. I know that when I get around to learning all of this stuff (wait to tackle trying anything until after I finish CSC101), the first thing I'm going to do is work on a CMS plugin.

Yes thats a good point but you have to take in account that $150 - $250 is a lot of money, not considering the price of a theme for it.

Eh. To some, it is. To others, not so much. Either way, I think MyBB stands to gain a LOT in that area. What better way to attract more users than to offer a free and better alternative to what IP Suite does? Have someone (an official developer so that you can call it an official MyBB team created plug in) create a CMS plugin, a blog plugin, a "store" plugin, etc. I can't help but imagine that people would flock to it. And it keeps the purists happy. They have their forum only systems, and everyone else gets an awesome, free, stable, official, a-bunch-of-other-adjectives CMS/blog/etc.

Also, that version (and UI) was from like two years ago... That's like judging MyBB based on 1.4.
(2012-09-10, 05:26 AM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-10, 05:17 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]

Eh. To some, it is. To others, not so much. Either way, I think MyBB stands to gain a LOT in that area. What better way to attract more users than to offer a free and better alternative to what IP Suite does? Have someone (an official developer so that you can call it an official MyBB team created plug in) create a CMS plugin, a blog plugin, a "store" plugin, etc. I can't help but imagine that people would flock to it. And it keeps the purists happy. They have their forum only systems, and everyone else gets an awesome, free, stable, official, a-bunch-of-other-adjectives CMS/blog/etc.

Also, that version (and UI) was from like two years ago... That's like judging MyBB based on 1.4.
I don't see MyBB adding all of those features in core til maybe 2.0 or if someone made a plugin. And MyBB developers are volunteer, them doing that much of work would be so time consuming and it would only be right to pay them IMO.

I don't keep up to track with IP B! I thought 3.14 was the version that changed the UI to the current one. Either way the current one is dumb IMO.
My completely honest opinion? Nah. Though I have to watch how I say that, don't want to get jumped lol.

MyBB is great, but keep in mind it's a free software, that means the development team doesn't really have anything to encourage quick development other than kudos. So what that means is very slow release times, lack of official add-ons, lack of resources, etc.

That said I love the simplicity of MyBB, and hope that's enough to keep it ahead of the other free softwares out there nowadays, but I really don't think it's ahead of any of the commercial stuff (vB4, but who even cares about it anymore? xD).
Why people compare the MyBB stand alone forum software with those community suits? I mean, MyBB is a forum software, people should compare it with the IPB forum script, not the IPB downloads/blog module or the vB overloaded community software.
(2012-09-10, 07:41 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Why people compare the MyBB stand alone forum software with those community suits? I mean, MyBB is a forum software, people should compare it with the IPB forum script, not the IPB downloads/blog module or the vB overloaded community software.

Because lack of those things makes MyBB look less developed to the average user. XP

If I were comparing car engines, I wouldn't just compare the parts that both engines had, I'd compare everything in each engine (More parts in one engine obviously makes it look better than the other, so long as they're made right).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9