MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Daily digest plugin - willing to pay $!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi - I am looking for someone who can put together a plugin that will allow users to subscribe for an hourly/daily/weekly/monthly (or whatever) e-mailed digest of forum activity they have not seen in the forums they have access to.
Digests need to truncate messages to ensure users do log in to read them in full, and need to be formatted attractively on emails with clickable links for each message

Someone has already had something like this working (http://community.mybb.com/thread-58114.html), though not in plugin form, and it seems not to work any more under version 1.6.8 (for me at least) - perhaps though it would not be too hard to adapt this script for someone who knew what they were doing?

I would be willing to financially contribute if required. Can anyone help?
I will have a look at the existing mod and see if it can be made a plugin.
(2012-11-06, 11:12 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I will have a look at the existing mod and see if it can be made a plugin.

Thanks Leefish - that would be amazing!
Current status - it works. I have removed the hardcoded mybb url so it can be installed at any site, I now will make a plugin file with some simple settings, and install the task settings on activation.

That will be a beta release. Ideally - this should be an optional thing - that users are sent an email by default, but can opt out of it in the usercp. Or vice-versa.

As I have never made anything like that before that would take a while, so lets get this simple usergroup variant working first.
(2012-11-06, 12:55 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Current status - it works. I have removed the hardcoded mybb url so it can be installed at any site, I now will make a plugin file with some simple settings, and install the task settings on activation.

That will be a beta release. Ideally - this should be an optional thing - that users are sent an email by default, but can opt out of it in the usercp. Or vice-versa.

As I have never made anything like that before that would take a while, so lets get this simple usergroup variant working first.

Sounds promising! - though I wonder why it does not work for me? - assuming we are talking about the same thing, I removed hardcoded url as well, substituting my own (www.nzarchitecture.net.nz)

For me, task manager logs report successful sending of digests when expected, but none are actually sent. I contacted the original author of the script (who is now not a myBB user), who thought it might be that something was changed/made incompatible in the update from v 1.4 to 1.6.8
Well, I am testing on MyBB 1.6.7 (I will upgrade testfish to ensure up to date plugin) but did you see the post I made regarding tasks not running? Maybe THAT is the problem.

BUT - right now - I have it working

I will put it on github after dinner.
Not sure why, but the task manager log reports the task as running, even though nothing is sent (or al least nothing is recieved). Could there be some issue with the way email is being handled? Asa troubleshooting test, is there any way perhaps to make MyBB expliciltly log the contents & recipient of each email it sends?
What you can do is make it so it sends the mail only to admins (group4) and set a test user to admin. On that test user give a " wrong" email. That should show up as a system mail error.

Have you tried sending a mail to a user using the email function? Does that work?
(2012-11-07, 07:30 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]What you can do is make it so it sends the mail only to admins (group4) and set a test user to admin. On that test user give a " wrong" email. That should show up as a system mail error.

Have you tried sending a mail to a user using the email function? Does that work?

Good idea - just tried that, but nothing appeared in system email log, and task manager again reports success for this task.
Tried sending an email directly to that bogus administrator, and still no system email log error appears .

However if I send an email to another test account with real email address, the message is received normally. I wonder how MyBB detects a message failure? Perhaps nowadays 'message failed' bounce responses are being intercepted as spam?
Arch - I will send you a login for testfish - please set the email to a real mail and then I will run the task.

I will also update to 1.6.8, but I don't think that is the issue really.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5