MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] Mochachino (?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I like it, it's better than other themes available today.
(2012-11-15, 12:33 AM)smexy Wrote: [ -> ]I like it, it's better than other themes available today.

Are you sure you look at the same themes I do?
(2012-11-15, 12:16 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-14, 11:54 PM)WebOutfit Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-14, 11:50 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]I like working on several designs at a time and then deciding which one to go with. I'm looking ti expand the product range in my shop.

Anyway, I've spent all night basically completely re-doing this theme, it looks completely different and I'm quite happy with how it looks so far, but of course feedback is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/nsVCv.png

Now that the colour has changed I'll need to come up with a new name :p

lol nice copy of paypals homepage.

I know, it's what inspired me to make this that way, obviously. Guess it still needs a bit of work. I really like what they did with their login box's, a forum theme based off the new paypal website might be quite good.

What don't you copy? Copying is not good.
Try to not copy themes that are available on the theme try to make something unique if you want be a designer, find ispirations Smile
(2012-11-15, 01:45 AM)WebOutfit Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-15, 12:16 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-14, 11:54 PM)WebOutfit Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-14, 11:50 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]I like working on several designs at a time and then deciding which one to go with. I'm looking ti expand the product range in my shop.

Anyway, I've spent all night basically completely re-doing this theme, it looks completely different and I'm quite happy with how it looks so far, but of course feedback is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/nsVCv.png

Now that the colour has changed I'll need to come up with a new name :p

lol nice copy of paypals homepage.

I know, it's what inspired me to make this that way, obviously. Guess it still needs a bit of work. I really like what they did with their login box's, a forum theme based off the new paypal website might be quite good.

What don't you copy? Copying is not good.

If people didn't copy, the human race wouldn't be where it was today. I don't see anything wrong with re-creating something I like the look of.

Where do you draw the line anyway? Why is it ok for you to copy pictures of game characters which you didnt design or create and slap them on your website, but I can't do it with a button? At least I'm re-creating something I've seen, you're just literally copying it.

Of course I'm playing devil's advocate, I don't care if you slap mario's face on your website. My question is where do you draw the line and why is it different? Can you even answer that?

(2012-11-15, 12:39 AM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-15, 12:33 AM)smexy Wrote: [ -> ]I like it, it's better than other themes available today.

Are you sure you look at the same themes I do?

Because clearly he must be wrong and clearly everyone has to have the same taste as you when it comes to themes....get over yourself. I may have designed this myself but I know enough to know it's actually not bad. If you don't like it then fair enough I respect that, but you don't speak for the entire community.

(2012-11-15, 06:33 AM)Dominic Wrote: [ -> ]Try to not copy themes that are available on the theme try to make something unique if you want be a designer, find ispirations Smile

I'm not used to people on here being so nice about things. I appreciate what you are trying to tell me, and thanks for doing it in a manner which isn't arrogant or condescending.
If you can't tell the difference between using an image of Mario in the context of a gaming website and lifting someone else's design elements wholesale in order to sell a theme based on someone else's design language ... I don't know what to tell you.

Look, there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other people's work, or even lifting small elements entirely and remixing/reusing them in a different context. However, your work doesn't exist in a vacuum, and so far the reaction to your work is that it's mostly mediocre, that you lift design elements from other people's designs, and that you attempt to buy designs you don't have license to and resell them as your own. You're trying to build a business, but you have yet to develop a single stellar product that is yours and yours alone. Honestly, you should take a few months and think of how you can do something really great rather than this mediocre 2009 looking stuff.
(2012-11-15, 03:16 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, you should take a few months and think of how you can do something really great rather than this mediocre 2009 looking stuff.

Since when did website design turn into PC gaming? 2009 on the Internet is not that old. We aren't discussing the oh-so-latest-and-greatest, amazing GeForce here, we're looking at design elements. I'll admit the design is rather dull, but it still isn't something that changes every half-year like computer hardware.
(2012-11-15, 03:40 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Since when did website design turn into PC gaming? 2009 on the Internet is not that old. We aren't discussing the oh-so-latest-and-greatest, amazing GeForce here, we're looking at design elements. I'll admit the design is rather dull, but it still isn't something that changes every half-year like computer hardware.

If you're doing trend-based design, three years is a lifetime. Some aesthetics simply don't hold up well over time, and the hyper gloss, hyper glassy trend is dead. Good riddance.
There is nothing wrong with buying themes/designs to sell them as yours, too bad you did not checked out before opening this thread to see if it was truly yours to sell this way. Keep it going with your themes though Smile
(2012-11-15, 03:16 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't tell the difference between using an image of Mario in the context of a gaming website and lifting someone else's design elements wholesale in order to sell a theme based on someone else's design language ... I don't know what to tell you.

Look, there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other people's work, or even lifting small elements entirely and remixing/reusing them in a different context. However, your work doesn't exist in a vacuum, and so far the reaction to your work is that it's mostly mediocre, that you lift design elements from other people's designs, and that you attempt to buy designs you don't have license to and resell them as your own. You're trying to build a business, but you have yet to develop a single stellar product that is yours and yours alone. Honestly, you should take a few months and think of how you can do something really great rather than this mediocre 2009 looking stuff.

That's not really what I'm saying. I get the 2 have completelly different connotations attatched to them. I'm just saying that when stripped down, they are the same thing; taking a design which isn't yours and using it on your website. If you even want to get technical about it, I'm pretty such a video games company could legally get you to remove any use of their characters without permission, whereas copying the appearance of a website is not illegal, but of course I am just nit picking right now and I do get that copying designs is frowned up if the intention is to profit.

Anyway, I am not trying to sell this design am I? Not yet anyway, and if I do I will have changed it enough by then so it won't be a copy. I like to do a lot of designs in photoshop as a hobby to pass the time, I probably design something everyday. I do it for me mainly, because I enjoy it. Whenever I am on website I constanlly analyse it's layout, structure and appearance. If I see a website I like, I will often design a forum theme based around it. Sometimes I will just see a specific combination of colours I like which inspires me to design something, other times it's the whole look of a website. Since I enjoy doing it so much I figured I might as well try and make some money from it. If I don't succeed I won't really mind too much, it's just nice knowing that my time spent actually has a pusrpose and is therefore productive, rather than just a pointless pass-time.

Quote:you attempt to buy designs you don't have license to and resell them as your own.

Please don't say things like that with such an "accusing" tone to them, you make it sound like I've been conducting some illegal, underground activity. I've already said that I was told I would have re-sale rights to the theme I bought from the seller. It isn't my fault I was mis-informed. Besides that, buying the rights to a theme with the intention of re-selling it is neither illegal, or immoral. In fact the idea is essentially quite a good one, so I really don't know why you're trying to make me feel guilty.

But ignor

(2012-11-15, 04:01 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing wrong with buying themes/designs to sell them as yours, too bad you did not checked out before opening this thread to see if it was truly yours to sell this way. Keep it going with your themes though Smile

Yes to be honest I should have contacted Mike from Audentio to verify before I spent money on it. I guess just trusting people nowadays can't be done. Anyway no worries, I got a re-fund for it and removed it from my site, and no sales were made so as far as I'm concerned no harm done at all, other than a night of my life wasted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8