MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] Mochachino (?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Wait, uh... what exactly did he copy from paypal's design? It still looks old and ugly to me:

[Image: 1rxeol.png]
Switch to usa
(2012-11-19, 04:26 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, uh... what exactly did he copy from paypal's design? It still looks old and ugly to me:

http://i48.tinypic.com/1rxeol.png

http://i.minus.com/ibyGVeheo4mnS0.png
Thanks Xige I agree with your point about the footer and the menu hover. And I also agree there is no need for the welcome message and avatar, I just think they are a nice addition, but I can see what it looks like without it.

FMB, that's not entirely true. In my thread in the showcase section I was accused of stealing themes from NanoSkinners (even though I co-founed NanoSkinners) and stealing a design from Audentio for my splash page (when I had actually designed it for Audentio). Then of course not to mention people accusing me of stealing themes from Audentio and selling them off as my own. People just made assumptions or just didn't bother inform themselves properly, which is no better than the things I've done to be given my reputation. I've admitted I was wrong copying PayPal so obviously, and it won't happen again. But the only things I have done wrong are assuming no one would care about copying paypal, and not informing myself of the copyright over the skin I was trying to sell. Mistakes though they may be, I have learned from them and people should move on.

Regarding your point about my design, first of all thanks for the tip about things flowing. I personally don't think a bit of variation is a bad thing, but I can see where I can make it more consistent.

I've got a few things to work on for the next update but I'll keep this thread updated.
You don't have a bit of variation, you have way too much. You should stick to one and create from it, but having two different styles of menu and two different styles of making a gradient like box is not attractive - it's messy design.

No one told you that you were stealing a design from Audentio on your splash page, rather, you're the only one really being paranoid imho - I told you countless times on that thread no one was talking about Audentio but the fact that it looked so similar to Nanoskinners. Yes you were co-owner but one would have expected something new and improved after all these years so. You didn't even edit the Audentio theme you tried to sell at all, you just removed the header and added bad typography and left it at that, honestly, it was another person's original coding and design - it is stealing in a way. This matter was cleared out already so I don't know why you keep bringing it up, as I said you haven't been accused of anything that hasn't been true until this point. Last time I checked, you were the one who mentioned that people are accusing you - I just responded to what you've said, how about you get over it and move on?

I get that you're semi-willing to take advice unlike some people on MyBB - I do appreciate that as a designer and but you have to be completely willing, otherwise your designs won't improve.

Shelley told me once, you sometimes need a pair of fresh eyes, she might not remember me she told me that (it was wayyy back around '08 or '09) but it's advice I take to heart because I know that I can always improve. I'm thankful I have Audentio's staff to ask for opinion and to share opinion with, that's how we learn from each other. Hell, Eric and Mike (and one of my very dear friends) are one of the reasons why my coding skills to this day are quite decent. So really, just take the advice and go with it.

I'll stop giving short responses and give you my advice.
The site is still too gray, honestly, it brings down the quality when you smother a design with a color. Makes it look a bit "drabby". The avatar on the top right looks out of place, the welcome seems ok but I don't quite suggest it. The first menu you have a style, on the thead you have another style with a different shade of blue (due to mask, I'd guess) plus on your menu on the header you have a 1px inset highlight but not on your thead - as I said it looks like you don't know what you want to do. On top of that the top menu you have a hover/active state of straight lines with a set height, but on your bottom one you have different menu style, different color, and your hover/active state is at 100% height of the container.

The glow on the thead doesn't look right, looks a bit over done, so does the glow on the logo - you need to work on your typography too. You have two different kinds of gray on header and footer - you should at least be consistent on that unless the footer will be complete dark dark gray - otherwise consistency my man. The top top menu still looks like paypals - adding a middle to top straight glow doesn't make it any different plus at the moment you seem to have 3 menus.

You have quite a bit to work on.

Edit: I think this is the longest post I've bothered to post here...
(2012-11-19, 05:07 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-19, 04:26 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, uh... what exactly did he copy from paypal's design? It still looks old and ugly to me:

http://i48.tinypic.com/1rxeol.png

http://i.minus.com/ibyGVeheo4mnS0.png

OH, that would explain a lot. I wonder why the Canadian site hasn't switched to the updated design...

(2012-11-16, 06:21 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]too bad PayPal patented login areas at the top of the window.

You're kidding right?
I have to say that I have to agree with people on the grey overpowering the entire design. I recommend experiments with different shades of white to brighten it up a bit and get arid of the grey. You also need to calm down on the glow just a tad bit.

As for the paypal matter. I have to say that the header area of your theme looks exactly like paypals header. You should work on redesigning the header area and make something more unique. From what I see, you just blatantly copied them and made some slight changes to it.

Here's some recommendations for the header;
  • Try removing the navigation from the left of the login and making it say the welcome message.
  • You can also add the user area up to the top right and make the login a drop down instead of Paypals style.
  • Remove the floating avatar as it doesn't need to be there, the text to the left goes with my first recommendation.
  • The navigation to the right of the logo looks fine, but try to add the general forum links to there then you can incorporate some sort of small menu under it with links such as; New Forum Posts, View Your Posts, Who's Online, Staff, etc.
  • Change the header color completely and try adding some different shades of white. Silver would work too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8