MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] Intox-Fusion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-12-19, 08:45 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Doing something to be different is not good enough. Uniqueness is only valuable if it's an improvement. Design is not just how something looks ...

No I completely understand. I never said it's only about looks, or claimed that because what I had done was different it was therefore good.

My point was there was no need to say "why have you done this", "why have you done that" when you could have just said "I would change this because..".

You wouldn't go up to someone on the street with weird hair and say "why have you done that with your hair its absurd" so I don't understand why this is any different.

A lot of what it comes down to is personal preference.
Except I'm literally asking you why it has been done. If you cannot explain it, it's a failure as a design. I'm not nitpicking aesthetic things like colors and effects – these are core design elements.

Quote:You wouldn't go up to someone on the street with weird hair and say "why have you done that with your hair its absurd" so I don't understand why this is any different.

This analogy is absurd. We're talking about design here, not style. They're not the same thing. You're building something that has to be functional and user friendly – elements which, surprisingly, do not apply to haircuts.
Yeah, I mean if we left everything MyBB included by default there wouldn't be any themes. Some things just have to be changed/removed, time included. Like brad said, everyone has the time on their device (Cell/desktop/ps3/etc.) so no need for it.

Also I can see where you want to be unique, but no need to reinvent the wheel. Some stuff is already placed in the most practical spot.
Brad my analogy wasn't about the content of the analogy, it was about the way of communicating a message. You can give people advice and tell them your opinion without doing it in a "Why have you done that it's obviously wrong" manner. You weren't looking for answers to your questions because you knew I didn't have any. You weren't genuinely wondering why I had done it like that as if there was some reason you had overlooked, you had already made up your mind it shouldn't be like that in the first place. They were rhetorical questions intended to make me realise this, which I did. I have tried to listen to as much of the advice as possible, so here's an update:

http://i.imgur.com/rXUOG.png

Also any feedback on the popup login form?

http://i.imgur.com/4LFFr.png
I think this theme will be quite popular. I think there is a big difference between making a one off theme and a theme to sell which supports all the MyBB features that a lot of forum owners might not want but still need to be covered in a MyBB theme to be applied to a starter forum.

I still don't really like the quick reply being so squidged like that - I think it might look quite nice if the users browsing was a full width bar UNDER the quick reply with a smaller icon more in keeping with the rest.

The login form - if it is Prototype/pure JS based I like it. If it is jQuery I say - oh, so this will be a 1.8 theme?

How much of the theme is image based? Are you using CSS for the post buttons or is it all images?
(2012-12-19, 11:44 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I think this theme will be quite popular. I think there is a big difference between making a one off theme and a theme to sell which supports all the MyBB features that a lot of forum owners might not want but still need to be covered in a MyBB theme to be applied to a starter forum.

I still don't really like the quick reply being so squidged like that - I think it might look quite nice if the users browsing was a full width bar UNDER the quick reply with a smaller icon more in keeping with the rest.

The login form - if it is Prototype/pure JS based I like it. If it is jQuery I say - oh, so this will be a 1.8 theme?

How much of the theme is image based? Are you using CSS for the post buttons or is it all images?

Thanks for your reply!

I'm not a massive fan of how I've done the quick reply myself, but it just seemed unnecessarily wide and big if it took up the entire width. I'll post a preview up of it in a bit so I can get the opinion of other people.

This, so far, is purely in photoshop design stages. But there will be as much CSS as possible when it comes to coding it, I tend to do that anyway. As for how I intend on doing the popup login, I hadn't thought about it yet :p
Well, you're half-right: I suspected you didn't have real answers to my questions, but I would have been willing to listen if you did.

The update is better, but there's still so much stuff everywhere. My eyes can't focus on the content of the site. This kind of theme is popular, so maybe it will sell well. But I don't think it's good design.
Imo round the buttons in the post, they're inconsistent with all the other buttons. xD But looks better. ^.^
Here is one more update scrapping the compacted quick reply/thread tools box:

http://i.imgur.com/FLSgv.png

I agree it looks a lot cleaner.

Brad, maybe it only seems like that because there's a lot of hover states shown everywhere? Sure, you want the content to be the main focus, but you still want all the other elements to be easily visible and accessible.

Thanks for your opinion. It's lucky that I'm trying to design something which would be popular and would sell well, rather than cater to your personal tastes then, isn't it?

Thanks Eric, will do Smile
The quick reply form looks too.. "cluttered"? If that is it. Also, seeing you will require some code edits to accomplish this, at least with 1.6.x.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9