MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smite Forums - Third Person MOBA Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
You're very good at ignoring valid comments.

I wish I had never spent any time talking to you about your site.
Berlo, I thought you were a nice guy. You ripped off Brad's theme and you are just ignoring his comments in this thread - not even bothering to acknowledge them.

Yes, you gave a small link at the bottom of your site as a thanks, and swapped some colours about, but you copied his theme. You know you did. This is really the thanks you give him - take his theme and then ignore him. He never had to share what he did - he just wanted to kickstart fresh ideas. I think if this happened to me (what you have done to Brad) then I sure as heck would keep all new ideas to myself going forward.

I am so disappointed in you, I did not think you were like this Sad
(2013-01-05, 01:41 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I think if this happened to me (what you have done to Brad) then I sure as heck would keep all new ideas to myself going forward.

This had occurred to me, but I don't want to let one bad apple spoil the bunch. When I have significant new info, I will continue to share. However, I won't release any code going forward – though I made that decision already.

This doesn't affect me on a practical level since my users will never see this. But I feel slapped in the face.

I still hope to release a "humanized" base theme this year.
Berlo takes influence as well as the structural elements from HARAJUJU and brad-t took the structural integrity from Ferron's Block & Blue theme. I don't understand the volume of duplicated templates Berlo took, but as far as I know it's just the postbit and etc - doesn't seem like a lot of damage to me?
Hmm, having looked at Block and Blue the major style elements on that are the header (with JQuery login) and the use of droid sans as the font

The rest of Block and Blue is pretty much standard MyBB templates, and that is the real point I think - Harajuju is not. Having spent a fair amount of time modding my own templates I know what a HUGE amount of work that is that Brad has done - and it is not just the work in terms of the templates - it is the ideas. Take a look at BlockandBlue - the postbit and new thread and edit thread and even the forumdisplay threadlist are all stock templates.

I think it is not so much the fact that he has ripped off Brad's ideas - it is that he is just ignoring Brad. That is poor form.
You may as well have your MyBB Humanization thread closed/removed since you don't want anyone using your ideas to build their website. I didn't post this here for it to be a drama spotlight, I am showcasing my website that I personally have spent time working on. Thanks to the people that have taken the time to check it out so far, big things are coming in the next couple of weeks.
(2013-01-05, 02:20 AM)Californian Wrote: [ -> ]Berlo takes influence as well as the structural elements from HARAJUJU and brad-t took the structural integrity from Ferron's Block & Blue theme. I don't understand the volume of duplicated templates Berlo took, but as far as I know it's just the postbit and etc - doesn't seem like a lot of damage to me?

There's a big difference here, namely

1. I've modified pretty much every template of Block & Blue heavily – nothing stylistically is the same, particularly in the newer version where the only code remaining is the login box – and
2. Block & Blue was released as a theme to be modified by site admins. The Humanization Project was not released as a theme.

It's a document with the intent to show that admins can do a lot more with MyBB than we've been doing. My examples are MY EXAMPLES, and while it would be fine if we're talking about a few ideas that resemble mine there is code directly lifted from me here.

You reading the Humanization Project and deciding to replicate my templates entirely shows a total lack of creative effort, and worse, a belief that my theme can't be improved upon – which it definitely can.

As for volume ... not a lot, but all of the most highly visible and recognizable elements.

Berlo had PM'ed me a while ago asking for advice and said that the theme would not resemble mine so much once his development was finished. That was months ago, and it looks the same now. So I think this was done in very bad spirit.

This will be the last post I make about this. You know what you did and I think it's very clear to anyone that this is in bad taste, and not the intention of my project. If people think this is the nature of it, then yes, maybe I should just delete it.
I respect your opinion Brad on the matter of my theme, but attacking me and derailing my thread like this is in VERY bad taste and quite immature on your behalf, especially when you have acted so encouraging on your project and my theme is so different from yours on quite a number of levels.
A number of people, reputable people for that matter have said you are in the wrong. Instead of deflecting, avoiding and lying about the whole ordeal Id go back to the drawing board. As someone from the outside looking in and reading every post in the thread nobody has derailed it, they've actually given nothing but criticism and pointers, isn't that the point of "the showcase?" The fact that you have the gall to say you "improved" on something when to me you just changed colors and text is kind of a slap in the face to the person you lifted the ideas from. He told you outright that you're missing the point of the Humanization project and you're telling him to close it down because you took it as I can steal your ideas without repercussion.

You talk about respecting Brad but what kind of respect is being given when you clearly ignore his posts and copy/paste stuff from his creations, telling him to close down his project? He's not attacking you or being immature, and he's still encouraging you to do the right thing and giving you advice but you're just not getting it, it's unfortunate.

I still think you should rename "general" to something different.
(2013-01-05, 03:17 AM)Berlo Wrote: [ -> ]I respect your opinion Brad on the matter of my theme, but attacking me and derailing my thread like this is in VERY bad taste and quite immature on your behalf, especially when you have acted so encouraging on your project and my theme is so different from yours on quite a number of levels.

I'm trying my best not to get involved in this thread, but can you post these many levels of differentiation? Though to weigh in slightly, I do believe brad's project was in good taste, he wanted to inspire other Administrators to make more of MyBB, I'm pretty sure he didn't intend for users to directly take his ideas and implement them. If he wanted that to happen, I'm sure he would have made a MyBB 1.8 suggestion thread and listed everything he thought should be core. He inspired me and many other Administrators in the right way, an example of this is the lengthy disgusting registration system with MyBB. I hated all that unnecessary information and saw that brad had the idea to change it, so I was inspired by what he had done and changed mine too and have it how I wanted it, not how brad has his. Hell I'm still inspired and plan many other design changes to my forum because of what brad has done, but I'm not going to keep going to his thread and steal his - I want to come up with my own.

Personally I think it's probably best for you both to take it to PM's, having it in the spotlight is probably bad for both of you. Plus it will just result in this thread being closed which sucks for everyone involved.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6