MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will it be possible to create table-less templates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I understand that it's pretty difficult to do now, but will the changes made in 1.8 make it a little more feasible?
Probably not any easier than with 1.6. MyBB 1.8 will still be using tables.
Well some changes with the JS (Like how inline moderation works) is changing for the better in 1.8 from what I've read. So switching from tables to divs shouldn't break MyBB functionality like it would in 1.6 (Though I might have read wrong xD).
That's mainly what I'm wondering... I've built plenty of sites from scratch, so the HTML and CSS aren't a problem, bit the scripts could be tricky.

Anyway, once 1.8 is out I'll try making a responsive html5 template system. If I'm successful I'll release it to the public.
Should be easier. The aim is to have no hard coded HTML.
(2013-04-27, 05:00 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Should be easier. The aim is to have no hard coded HTML.

Ah, excellent. So the templates will be 100% editable without requiring any core edits, then?

EDIT: Also, 1.8 will be around for awhile, right? It seemed like it was just going to be a quick release to bridge the gap between 1.6 and 2.0, but now it seems like 2.0 is a few years off.

I just don't want to put too much effort into redoing all the templates unless 1.8 is going to be around for at least a year or two.
Should be, yup.
http://keithpickering.net/examples/teotuwip/

I'm using my own forum as an example as I begin to develop this template system.

My goal is basically to rewrite every aspect of the default one to make it more semantic, accessible, and responsive. I'll obviously have to change some things around to make it compatible, but I'm going for a very simple starting point.

There are three stylesheets right now: one for structure, one for my grid system, and one for aesthetic things (colors, background images, fonts, etc). This should make it extremely easy to customize.

I'm thinking I might try out inuit.css instead, because I've heard it's a fantastic framework for just about anything. Since this is a pretty large project, it might make sense to use a framework.

Anyway, if any semantic web experts want to take a look at my current code and give me some feedback, it'd be greatly appreciated.
There are times when you want to use tables over divisions. Tables have some very handy features such as column and row spanning that divisions and CSS just don't have. You can try and replicate them using JavaScript but you're opening a whole new can of worms with that.
There is a tableless MyBB theme somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5