MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is 'soft delete' feature really needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Oh great.... Instead of "Can you make this like VBulletin threads" were going to get slammed by "Can you make this like Xenforo threads."

If there is a set standard for something, Mybb should follow the standard. So we should have standard BBCode. But for things that there is no set standard, there is no reason to copy another board.

By having the option to delete and to soft delete as separate, Mybb is adding features that Xenforo doesn't have. So we are more "fully featured." Now my guess is that Xenforo has an option to permanently delete it later on. Mybb is just making it easier so you don't have to click as many things to actually hard delete a post. So... I think we win. (of course, I haven't played with either delete functionality, so I am going on what I understand from this post). If you dislike both deletes I'm sure it would be fairly simple to create a plugin to make the hard delete functionality closer to what you prefer, which is copying that of Xenforo.
(2014-01-26, 04:12 PM)Adriano Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

It looks like in MyBB 1.8 we will have an option to 'soft delete' posts/threads, which functionality is similar to hide posts/threads. I would say it's the same.
We can hide content from users without deleting it permanently.

Do we need another feature like that? I think new version should be kept simple. Smile

Discuss!

yeah, its a very nice feature i think. just think that you accidentally delete a very useful article... it would be a nightmare if you cant get it back...
I'm referring to XenForo because it clearly went a lot more thought into every detail than MyBB.
It's the new gold standard for PHP boards.
Sometimes content needs to be deleted permanently. In which case directly deleting the content instead of having to soft delete it then delete it makes sense. Additionally, some administrators may not wish there to be an illusion that content has been deleted when it still exists.

Quote:It's the new gold standard for PHP boards.

I've heard people say the same about MyBB 1.8. Every board has it's merits, but even Xenforo is far from perfect.
Is there an option to view all soft deleted content in MCP?
(2014-02-06, 10:45 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]I'm referring to XenForo because it clearly went a lot more thought into every detail than MyBB.
It's the new gold standard for PHP boards.

If its the new Gold Standard for PHP Boards why haven't I come across a single xenforo board yet? I'm sure they exist, but its no standard.
for me yes, because sometimes some users have a problem with another on support forums and sometimes if you are from support(moderators) group, some people have conficts between some post and delete this post.

Then some users report this user and a problem exist inside your forum with no concern of what was the problem, so in this way i think you can evaluate this post and take the better desition to do.

Or sometimes you have delete your own threads and maybe you can use this info in some future, so if you have this info and it's still there you can use it xD. For me it's an excellent innovation for MyBB.

You can enable or disable anyway, but for me it's better activate this xD.
Yes, definitely.

I have to backup my forum every hour, just to be able to restore deleted content. This is a must when moderators are relatively free to moderate. Sometimes they remove what should not be removed, and nobody know what was removed, even administrator.
(2014-02-14, 03:05 PM)Qiao Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, definitely.

I have to backup my forum every hour, just to be able to restore deleted content. This is a must when moderators are relatively free to moderate. Sometimes they remove what should not be removed, and nobody know what was removed, even administrator.
Just make a junk section for staff only, and make a custom thread tool to send threads to that section. You can also make a thread in the junk section, sticky it, and then make a post tool to add posts to that thread.
(2014-02-14, 04:47 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-14, 03:05 PM)Qiao Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, definitely.

Just make a junk section for staff only, and make a custom thread tool to send threads to that section. You can also make a thread in the junk section, sticky it, and then make a post tool to add posts to that thread.

Or just deny moderators the permission to delete threads and posts.

I think soft delete is needed. I am not currently content with using unapprove for soft deletion. It wasn't designed for that and makes things like this not allowed in the core. A great thing about soft delete is that you can allow moderators to delete posts but retain the end decision of whether a post is to be gone forever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6