MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is 'soft delete' feature really needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
To add to what dragonexpert said, you can make some kind of mod tool which "junks" threads, moving them to a junk forum, deny the ability to use deletethread using MyPermissions and give them access to the custom tool for junking, that is if you really can't trust your moderators. I use this for everyone. You can use the mod logs to see any moderator actions too, if they go on some rampage then you can easily restore a database backup and then take action against the moderator.
(2014-06-13, 05:46 PM)Robust Wrote: [ -> ]To add to what dragonexpert said, you can make some kind of mod tool which "junks" threads, moving them to a junk forum, deny the ability to use deletethread using MyPermissions and give them access to the custom tool for junking, that is if you really can't trust your moderators. I use this for everyone. You can use the mod logs to see any moderator actions too, if they go on some rampage then you can easily restore a database backup and then take action against the moderator.

The problem with this is that you lose the original FID and/or TID from where the thread or post came from. So the junk forum is totally useless without extra work to define the origin if you want to restore it. Otherwise why keep the junk forum at all if you are not going to possibly restore it.
(2014-06-14, 12:17 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with this is that you lose the original FID and/or TID from where the thread or post came from. So the junk forum is totally useless without extra work to define the origin if you want to restore it. Otherwise why keep the junk forum at all if you are not going to possibly restore it.

I've got it set so the moderator that junked the thread submits a reply, informing me who deleted the thread and also has a link back to the forum it was junked from.
Soft delete is to undo accidental or incorrect deletions. Having a moderation feature or a hide content feature or a moderation holding forum does not solve this.
TID & PID consistency is no.#1
I prefer to NOT (really) delete the post.
HIDE and only seen by Administrator (UID=1).
I prefer to build special Admin Control Panel to see those "hide" post.
(2014-06-15, 03:43 AM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]TID & PID consistency is no.#1

I'm not sure what you mean here, care to elaborate?

(2014-06-15, 03:43 AM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer to NOT (really) delete the post.
HIDE and only seen by Administrator (UID=1).
I prefer to build special Admin Control Panel to see those "hide" post.

There are going to be configurable options for who can fully delete posts and see soft deleted posts. [Issue #688]
I see, that's clarified already Jordan Smile
(2014-06-09, 02:52 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps you should be more selective with your moderators.
I sure can, I can do everything myself. But it is better that programs help us.

It is not that moderators delete good threads every day. But when it happens it hurts.

For example, you see some hot discussion and think 'good, good, many views and new users', but when you return hour ago it is gone, one of moderators decided that it is too hot and just removed it.
(2014-06-15, 10:55 AM)Qiao Wrote: [ -> ]It is not that moderators delete good threads every day. But when it happens it hurts.

For example, you see some hot discussion and think 'good, good, many views and new users', but when you return hour ago it is gone, one of moderators decided that it is too hot and just removed it.

that's the good example Smile
I registered and came here looking exactly for a thread like this.

Everything I could think of regarding the need for this feature has already been said by other members, so I'll just leave my +1 support for having this implemented.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6