MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is 'soft delete' feature really needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2014-02-14, 05:03 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-14, 04:47 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-14, 03:05 PM)Qiao Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, definitely.

I have to backup my forum every hour, just to be able to restore deleted content. This is a must when moderators are relatively free to moderate. Sometimes they remove what should not be removed, and nobody know what was removed, even administrator.
Just make a junk section for staff only, and make a custom thread tool to send threads to that section. You can also make a thread in the junk section, sticky it, and then make a post tool to add posts to that thread.

Or just deny moderators the permission to delete threads and posts.

I think soft delete is needed. I am not currently content with using unapprove for soft deletion. It wasn't designed for that and makes things like this not allowed in the core. A great thing about soft delete is that you can allow moderators to delete posts but retain the end decision of whether a post is to be gone forever.

If Moderators are only allowed the soft delete option, then on very big boards the admin's will have more work to do, by cleaning up after the moderators.
(2014-02-14, 08:38 PM)G-lynx Wrote: [ -> ]If Moderators are only allowed the soft delete option, then on very big boards the admin's will have more work to do, by cleaning up after the moderators.

does not mean that the feature is not worth having though.
(2014-02-14, 09:09 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-14, 08:38 PM)G-lynx Wrote: [ -> ]If Moderators are only allowed the soft delete option, then on very big boards the admin's will have more work to do, by cleaning up after the moderators.

does not mean that the feature is not worth having though.

Yes , only when the regular user deletes his/her threads/posts can the soft delete option work perfectly. Then the moderators can choose to permanently delete it or choose some important one's to be reviewed be admin to decide if that user should be punished etc...
Are the people requesting this unaware that Undo Delete already exists and works excellently and likely can be modified to work with 1.8 as well.

Hard delete with admin undo delete if required is the way to go. That or just unapprove the post or thread. It's not complicated.

IMO this is the last thing to be concerned or wasting time on with devel of 1.8
(2014-04-14, 01:53 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Hard delete with admin undo delete if required is the way to go. That or just unapprove the post or thread. It's not complicated.

that is essentially what the soft delete feature is. lets users and mods delete thread and posts but allows the admins to undo it. soft delete simply removes the threads and posts from all counters and queues, even for mods.

using a junk or trash forum works okay, but I dont like how you lose the TID/FID of where the post/thread came from. Soft delete preserves all of that information
Let me ask my question again:
(2014-02-06, 01:37 PM)Adriano Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an option to view all soft deleted content in MCP?

I can't see it. How can we easily moderate all soft deleted content? Do we have to search all posts and threads to find it?
I think you go to the thread the post was in (or forum if it was a thread).
Please also note soft delete feature hasn't been finished yet.
Soft delete will be main reason I will switch to 1.8 (I have heavily tweaked 1.6 forum, switching is not easy)

Yesterday I again had moderator went berserk event. Soft delete is needed a lot.
Perhaps you should be more selective with your moderators.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6