MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: BAM Announcements Manager (Updated - Version 2.0)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Another idea: IPv6. Depending on providers, if you are using IPv6, it changes often.
I've the trouble with gitlab which say me I connect from a new computer every 2 days: my IPv6 address changes when my IPv4 is static. And same trouble with BAM on a forum, with the same computer, I guess it's the same origin.
(2023-01-22, 12:09 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Another idea: IPv6. Depending on providers, if you are using IPv6, it changes often.
I've the trouble with gitlab which say me I connect from a new computer every 2 days: my IPv6 address changes when my IPv4 is static. And same trouble with BAM on a forum, with the same computer, I guess it's the same origin.

Very interesting observation. I suppose if this is erasing the cookies, perhaps the way that announcement dismissals are handled might need some rethinking.
(2023-01-21, 11:45 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-21, 10:55 PM)Darojax Wrote: [ -> ]Hello! Great plugin. We're however having an issue on our forum: When an announcement is dismissed it appears only a session cookie is set, so whenever closing the browser and opening it again the announcement reappears. We have set "Dismissed Anouncements Expiration to 30 days. We are also using a custom theme.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Regards

Fred

Are you using a private browser? These would clear cookies on each refresh, and would thus clear the announcements back out. Do you have any other cookie related issues on the forum (such as not remembering logins between visits, etc)? 

The reason that announcement dismissals aren't tracked in the DB (on the server side) is primarily because of the amount of overhead that would be required to keep track of it on large forums. In smaller forums it's not really an issue, but for forums that have hundreds of thousands of users, it would slow load times to try to do large queries like this on every single page visit (and as such, the plugin just relies on cookies instead.)

No private browser, just normal. And this is an issue for all users of the forum, just not me. There are no other cookie issues as far as I have been able to tell, the forum remembers login cookies fine as long as you tick the "Remember me" box when logging in, remembers posts you read etc.

We are using a custom template, could that be causing problems?
(2023-01-07, 01:58 PM)SvePu Wrote: [ -> ]Bitte überprüfen Sie die BAM Announcements Manager Plugin-Einstellungen in ACP » Home » Board Settings

Bitte überprüfe die BAM Announcements Manager Plugin Einstellungen im AdminCP

leider hat das keine Auswirkungen. Es bleibt einfach und kann nicht abgewählt werden.
(2023-01-22, 03:11 PM)Darojax Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-21, 10:55 PM)Darojax Wrote: [ -> ]Hello! Great plugin. We're however having an issue on our forum: When an announcement is dismissed it appears only a session cookie is set, so whenever closing the browser and opening it again the announcement reappears. We have set "Dismissed Anouncements Expiration to 30 days. We are also using a custom theme.

Regards

Fred

Are you using a private browser? These would clear cookies on each refresh, and would thus clear the announcements back out. Do you have any other cookie related issues on the forum (such as not remembering logins between visits, etc)? 

The reason that announcement dismissals aren't tracked in the DB (on the server side) is primarily because of the amount of overhead that would be required to keep track of it on large forums. In smaller forums it's not really an issue, but for forums that have hundreds of thousands of users, it would slow load times to try to do large queries like this on every single page visit (and as such, the plugin just relies on cookies instead.)

No private browser, just normal. And this is an issue for all users of the forum, just not me. There are no other cookie issues as far as I have been able to tell, the forum remembers login cookies fine as long as you tick the "Remember me" box when logging in, remembers posts you read etc.

I doubt it's a template issue. If there was an issue with the JS loading incorrectly, it wouldn't allow the announcements to be dismissed at all, so there's probably something else going on. 

If you go to developer tools (right click anywhere on the page, click "inspect element", and visit the console tab), it might show if there are any JS errors that might potentially be causing issues. I have a feeling I'll end up writing an alternative non-cookie-based implementation with the next version though, it seems this is an issue that has been reported by a few different people.
(2023-01-24, 10:31 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-22, 03:11 PM)Darojax Wrote: [ -> ]

Regards

Fred

I doubt it's a template issue. If there was an issue with the JS loading incorrectly, it wouldn't allow the announcements to be dismissed at all, so there's probably something else going on. 

If you go to developer tools (right click anywhere on the page, click "inspect element", and visit the console tab), it might show if there are any JS errors that might potentially be causing issues. I have a feeling I'll end up writing an alternative non-cookie-based implementation with the next version though, it seems this is an issue that has been reported by a few different people.

Riight. Well, I am receiving the following errors when checking the index page of the forum, doesn't look related though?

[Image: o7lcAx2.png]
An update for php 8 would be great!
Can we have a simple feature, for noobs, to easily add URL link instead of text? (for example: several links to various forum or website, but displaying only website & forum names, not the long URL). I know it is possible to do it with BAM 2.0, but not very intuitive (for newbies).
Unfortunately, Darth Apple (plugin developer) has not been available for months
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8