MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Denied Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Just a quick point:

Quote:Here is an idea, require the WWW to be filled out but have it visible only to support staff.

Often support is provided by normal users rather than exclusively by staff. In those cases, normal users being able to see the URL can be beneficial (especially in cases of support threads complaining about JavaScript issues for example - the problem is almost always a conflict between different library versions or something of a similar nature).

I also just want to add that whilst there haven't been many staff responses to this thread, it is being discussed. We will make a comment once we've reached an official position that we all agree on, but as I'm sure you can accept that may take a while.
(2017-11-20, 12:33 AM)snakeoilos Wrote: [ -> ]As a new user of MyBB, I can't really believe some of the discussions that's happening now.. Big Grin Anyway, my 2c on 'denied support'.

1. This tag shouldn't be visible only to the mods. Mods aren't the only people who can help people out in MyBB. I try my best to help people if I happen to know the answer. Sure I am still a noobie but I still like to help. And I don't want to help people who have been officially denied support (whatever reasons there may be).

(2017-11-22, 04:22 AM)snakeoilos Wrote: [ -> ]FWIW I don't think less of you because you have that tag, so I didn't assume anything. Having said that - I'm not convinced removing (or even changing) this 'support denied' policy will work.

Huh
(2017-11-25, 09:18 PM)v_2 Wrote: [ -> ]Huh

What's there to be puzzled about? If a person post a support question, and have a denied support tag, I'm not going to help (let's be real here - the kind of help I can offer right now at this stage to anybody is minimal anyway Big Grin).

Everything else, it'd be normal activities. It's really not hard, the trick is not overthink things Lightbulb.
@snakeoilos

I think the puzzled is due to the contradiction within your comment in that you say you think no less of labrocca but yet you say you do not want to help people who have the "badge of shame" (thanks for that matt)

In the end it is clear that this badge is rather disrespectful to some very good people and we see a newer team within MyBB now days and i think the idea is to be more respectful to the community than it was in the past.

At times when paid mods could not be mentioned on this site etc. it has been these policies that have driven people "Developers" away from the community you just have to read some of the posts around the web.

@Euan T - i think it has been said a lot that this and many other issues are being discussed in the background and obviously here in the open by the community and we have seen a lot of talk by everyone from the MyBB team to the community that there is a need for keen developers and supporters within the community and we can see that this badge is just one thing that has impacted on those who have given and done a lot for the community.

As a business and project manager and a long time community member i find it odd that this policy is in place the talk about legal implications or moral implications is not really a good way to defend it as from a legal view there are implications by using this "badge of shame" and really that is what it is viewed as by the common user.

I am thankful for anyone who helps me to address any issue i have i do not care about the "badge of shame" it means nothing to me but it is not my view that is the problem it is the newbies and those who are not that converse with things and when we have developers that are offended by this badge and give up on MyBB to go elsewhere then this kills the community and we can see that hurting the community now.

It is time to act not talk i understand it hard within this environment to actually communicate within the team the different groups i ran within Australia are hard enough to communicate with and we have a more common time zone.

why keep isolating users and shamming them this is just a bad policy that can be managed so much better
(2017-11-26, 12:55 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]@snakeoilos

I think the puzzled is due to the contradiction within your comment in that you say you think no less of labrocca but yet you say you do not want to help people who have the "badge of shame" (thanks for that matt)
Where's the contradiction? Denied support != Ostracized.

(2017-11-26, 12:55 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]why keep isolating users and shamming them this is just a bad policy that can be managed so much better
The same users can get that tag removed, so what's the problem here really? Huh

Every few days I read threads and posts about how the MyBB staff can do this or that in a better way. Why not just fork the code and prove it? Personally I prefer MyBB staff to spend time collobrating on the future of 1.8.10 or 2.0 than on this.
(2017-11-26, 07:08 AM)snakeoilos Wrote: [ -> ]Every few days I read threads and posts about how the MyBB staff can do this or that in a better way. Why not just fork the code and prove it? Personally I prefer MyBB staff to spend time collobrating on the future of 1.8.10 or 2.0 than on this.

Because I instead developed my own platform, to prove it. But that's not the point.

I am a large supporter of this website; and indeed this software. It just does not fit my needs as a web admin.
I am not sure that the actual owner of MyBB still takes an interest in reading posts on these forums, but I really wish that this team could be replaced, they have lost all credibility.

And since we are discriminating against "newbies" in this thread, I don't think we need to take seriously the posts of someone registered 2 months ago, with only 2 posts, the only content of which is a smiley face.
@snakeoilos

it might be fine for as a newbie to arrive here and assume a certain status quo or to just through out the fork the code line as you have.

longer term members can see trends and can see things you are not interested in but there is a reason we have been around for a while and it is our dedication to the the project and the community.

Over time the Team has changed a lot and the attitudes have changed the issues now are policies and code that is not up to date and this is recognized by just about everyone and the idea of having a community is to voice things and have a say about the direction or how things can progress.

I have been around the bush for a long time and done a lot with the MyBB system and a lot of us helped to achieve things a lot of years ago but policies did impact and while yes it is simple to fork the code and do what you want this is not going to help the community nor the project.

If you note i have been rather supportive of the MyBB Team to a point and can see some of the frustrations they have with certain members but not all the team is involved in the code and like any project there are streams that deal with various functions within the community and again as has been raised the project is lacking in developers some of us are pointing out why and how some people have been pushed away and we can say this because we have been around to and have or know those involved.

As to the users getting that tag removed if you read the OP you will see that this does not happen and in fact still has not and it comes down to this policy.

You yourself state very clearly that you would avoid those who have this tag

Whilst you do not know the reasons why they have the tag it is simple and clear in that you see this tag and choose to alienate that member for no reason other than seeing this tag

Quote:1. This tag shouldn't be visible only to the mods. Mods aren't the only people who can help people out in MyBB. I try my best to help people if I happen to know the answer. Sure I am still a noobie but I still like to help. And I don't want to help people who have been officially denied support (whatever reasons there may be).

That is alienating them solely for this "Badge of shame" some of these members are why you have MyBB today but yet again you have attacked them simply because you do not know anything about them but see a badge
this is the type of thing that you do not want to see within the community.
I am my own voice and just pointing out my views and opinions but i use cases such as yours to point out what i am saying and it is clear in that if a member does not have this Badge you would help them or welcome help from them
point in example
(2017-11-26, 08:06 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Because I instead developed my own platform, to prove it. But that's not the point.
As in you submitted a pull request to the MyBB staff, and they did nothing about it?

(2017-11-26, 10:00 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure that the actual owner of MyBB still takes an interest in reading posts on these forums, but I really wish that this team could be replaced, they have lost all credibility.
Sad to see the situation has come to this. Sincerely hope you guys can find common ground soon and sort out the differences.

To replace the current team requires more developers. Just forcing out the current group is not enough if nobody else steps up. And honestly, since it's not a paid gig, the demand to push them out will make MyBB worse as they may just decide to quit and stop developing altogether.

(2017-11-26, 10:00 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]And since we are discriminating against "newbies" in this thread, I don't think we need to take seriously the posts of someone registered 2 months ago, with only 2 posts, the only content of which is a smiley face.
Didn't realise that. Good point.

(2017-11-26, 11:25 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]this is the type of thing that you do not want to see within the community.
This is just a simple 'denied support', but seems some has been overthinking into this 'badge of shame', and how 'denied support' is actually seen to be as bad as a forum ban.

Whatever this new policy may be, let's hope MyBB will get better after this. If it doesn't - don't forget: I told you so. Big Grin
(2017-11-27, 01:33 AM)snakeoilos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-26, 08:06 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Because I instead developed my own platform, to prove it. But that's not the point.
As in you submitted a pull request to the MyBB staff, and they did nothing about it?

No, as in I wrote an entire software from scratch which I use in production. I chose not to submit pull requests, but instead to go my own way. I don't do things by halves.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7