MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Denied Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2017-11-27, 01:33 AM)snakeoilos Wrote: [ -> ]To replace the current team requires more developers. Just forcing out the current group is not enough if nobody else steps up. And honestly, since it's not a paid gig, the demand to push them out will make MyBB worse as they may just decide to quit and stop developing altogether.

It's not as if there's development happening anyway. First there was empty promises, now the tactic seems to be these public discussion threads. It's just pulling the wool over community members' eyes. When the team is right, the level of contribution and the final product will be much greater than any of us imagine. That's my experience with free open source projects.

What i hate is the hypocrisy of this team. What's contained in the SEP is a very generic statement. There's nothing in there that's controversial ! You will find similar wording in just about any corporate or institutions' code of conduct. Yet this team seems to think there's something wrong with the policy. Is there not one of you that's willing to vouch for the SEP as it stands ? I would never be able to work for a company whose policies I don't agree with. So if you have a problem with the SEP why don't you amend it OR delete it ? Maybe because you still want to look good by having up ethical policies.

Just remember, when members are required to sign up here, they have to hit the I Agree button. I Agree to your policies and code of conduct. Again this effects your credibility.
(2017-11-27, 01:33 AM)snakeoilos Wrote: [ -> ]And honestly, since it's not a paid gig, the demand to push them out will make MyBB worse as they may just decide to quit and stop developing altogether.

As professional developers, this isn't the case.

I (personally) don't see these "replace the team" calls have any standing; there's a lot more to being part of the team than just creating new features or fixing bugs.

As open source software, anyone is able to contribute via GitHub - if you want to change MyBB, fire us over a pull request. Don't sit behind a keyboard and berate the people who have worked tirelessly to produce a product that you're wanting to see improvements to - learn, develop, contribute and improve.
As the thread creator I'd like to say I wasn't calling for anyone in the team to be replaced nor do I think they are doing a bad job necessarily. I think some of this thread is getting off-topic and it's derailing the progress.

I'm anxious to see a result for Denied Support tags not discuss a dozen different unrelated topics.

If the team can come to a decision and make it public I would appreciate that. Ultimately it's the team that decides the direction of the policies. I think enough community input has been given and maybe it's time to close this thread.
Quote:It's not as if there's development happening anyway.
I've only signed up for a few months, but already there's multiple MyBB releases. So development is happening, just not at a pace or evolution people have come to expect. To be honest everytime I upgrade MyBB it's kindda PITA as it means merging new changes into old templates.

Quote:First there was empty promises, now the tactic seems to be these public discussion threads. It's just pulling the wool over community members' eyes. When the team is right, the level of contribution and the final product will be much greater than any of us imagine. That's my experience with free open source projects.
Open source projects can have conflicts I guess. Time is often a factor, hopefully there can be more developers who can join this community. But as mentioned, a lot has moved on to other spaces, forums are seen as some form of relic, and not sure where do we find these developers. Myself I am just a C/C++ programmer, and I sorted pick up PHP on the go and don't know any modern PHP frameworks.

All I can do for my is find bugs, and suggest fixes. Hopefully if everybody does our little bit, MyBB will be better.

Quote:What i hate is the hypocrisy of this team. What's contained in the SEP is a very generic statement. There's nothing in there that's controversial ! You will find similar wording in just about any corporate or institutions' code of conduct. Yet this team seems to think there's something wrong with the policy. Is there not one of you that's willing to vouch for the SEP as it stands ? I would never be able to work for a company whose policies I don't agree with. So if you have a problem with the SEP why don't you amend it OR delete it ? Maybe because you still want to look good by having up ethical policies.

Just remember, when members are required to sign up here, they have to hit the I Agree button. I Agree to your policies and code of conduct. Again this effects your credibility.
From what I can gathered so far, the team has no real problems with this policy. Obviously I'm not speaking for them... And I still find this a non-issue. Removing this policy may well mean they are no longer hypocritical, but really, it's symbolic at best and not going to change anything.
--- this topic is closed for further discussion (as suggested by the topic starter) ---
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7