MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - anyone preparing plugins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2018-05-15, 05:57 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-15, 02:09 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-15, 01:55 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]So guys, how will you solve this on your boards, I am just curious about it because I dont know the best way... anyway I need to solve this ASAP Sad

Keep an eye on this repository:

https://github.com/kawaii/mybb-pdatactrl

In the next couple of weeks we should hopefully have something usable for forum owners.

Do we have couple of weeks?!  Huh

10 days until the law comes into force, and as I said earlier you should be ok if you can prove you're working towards compliance. It's not going to come into force on the 25th and you get immediately prosecuted and fined on that day.
(2018-05-14, 08:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Q: Can I delete my account and be forgotten?
A: Our sign up agreement does say "You agree your account can not be deleted without exceptional circumstances" I will however review each case as requested on a one to one basis.

That's invalid. The law requires you to give them the right to delete their content.  You can't say that they'll agree that you're exempt from the law.  That's like saying "I agree that you can murder me" and then claim it's not murder because they agreed.

@sarisisop I think your terms are insufficient on a number of points but that one in particular is just not going to work.

I don't know what is and what isn't valid to be honest Labrocca, all I know is that my members are happy and if/when the need arises I look at each case on a one to one basis. My forum is probably different to most as it is for people with a health problem, our members support each other and share information and there is no monetary value to what we do.

I have only ever had a handful of requests to be deleted in the past 6 years, and most of the time I can convince them to stay. All my members are welcome to speak to me one to one and if they insist then I will manually go through everything to give them a satisfactory solution.

(2018-05-14, 08:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ] 
This law is insanity.  Huge burden on small sites which don't have the resources to fully understand and comply with this ridiculous EU law.  I'm not in EU, I shouldn't have to care about this.

What about my issue. I'm a British expat living in France with a server based in the USA. It's bad enough knowing what rules apply to me now, how it will be after Brexit who knows.

At the end of the day it's just the same as the cookie law. Most people I speak to are fed up with pop-ups about it and still don't really understand or care. I have never had a cookie notice and not once have I been contacted about it.  

Another thing I have is a newsletter group where members opt in from the CP. The reason for that is because the law in the USA where my server is based says I must include a live address and a one click unsubscribe to mass mail. That is not possible or going to happen in my case.

And like Euan said "If you can show you are trying" then what can happen ? They are not going to be knocking on my door with the handcuffs for the way I run my forum.

We all have to look at our own forums on an individual basis. What type of member we attract, how well we communicate with them and how large our membership is. I delete any accounts with zero posts that are one year old, all my members know they can talk to me personally and I also have 3 forum helpers whose main job is to help the members as opposed to moderating them.

We're lucky that we attract the type of people that wouldn't want to leave, but they know they can should they insist.

Cookies GDPR: My members don't really care, as they trust me and have much more going on in their lives to worry about dumb rules that they don't understand.

Smile
Hi again,

I beg you all to stop spamming this post with GPDR questions that are not concerning for a MyBB's Plugin for the GDPR.

Create new posts about, if this site outside the EU needs to follow this GDPR or not, what I should do, or this sort of things. It's logicall to have doubts about this regulation, but 6 pages of 8 are not about what this plugin should have or not, and this is really a mess.

Sorry for this "mod's text".
(2018-05-17, 09:56 AM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]Hi again,

I beg you all to stop spamming this post with GPDR questions that are not concerning for a MyBB's Plugin for the GDPR.

Create new posts about, if this site outside the EU needs to follow this GDPR or not, what I should do, or this sort of things. It's logicall to have doubts about this regulation, but 6 pages of 8 are not about what this plugin should have or not, and this is really a mess.

With all of the various differing translations and interpretations of this new law a thread like this is invaluable for solving this crisis that's been given to us all. I see nothing wrong with it.
No offence @NoRules but the discussions over here are related to GDPR only and somehow counted as the decision-making steps towards what to do and what not with the plugin.
I have not seen such a quality thread with full of knowledge and information for a long time now.
Quote:Corey H
With all of the various differing translations and interpretations of this new law a thread like this is invaluable for solving this crisis that's been given to us all. I see nothing wrong with it.
Hi Corey H,
as I said, it's necessary to solve all the doubts of this regulation, but it must be in this post? That's all I was saying.

(2018-05-17, 01:23 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]No offence @NoRules but the discussions over here are related to GDPR only and somehow counted as the decision-making steps towards what to do and what not with the plugin.
I have not seen such a quality thread with full of knowledge and information for a long time now.
No offence at all effone,
I just want to be this post more specific to point what is better for the plugin to have. I try to collaborate with the longest post in this forum I remember, but I don't see posts asking for this or for that part that would be nice to be in the plugin, and more about doubts that (in my opinion) miss the objective of the post.

If someone creates a new post about doubts of the GPDR, I think it'll be OK to everybody share there their knowledge and information.
@NoRules, why split up GDPR topics into multiple threads? Seems like having it all discussed here seems appropriate and other than your post it all seems to be on-topic about the law and various implementations.
(2018-05-17, 09:56 AM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]Hi again,

Sorry NoRules if you think I am spamming this thread Sad

I thought my posts were on topic and like everyone else I'm just trying to find a solution.

A forum is about discussion and I was just answering Labrocca who had made a comment on one of my previous posts.

But fair enough this thread is in "Plugin Requests" and as I'm happy with my choice I will apologise if you or anyone else thinks I was spamming, but it was not my intention.  

*I won't be asking for my account and all posts to be deleted though. (Intended as a joke)  Smile
Seems to be a misunderstanding about the new law. @Sarisisop, even IF you had asked to delete your account and post, the boards admin did not have to do anything more then just delete you as a member.
(you can't clame that your nickname can reveal your true identity)

IF your nickname where "firstnameandlanstname" the board admin should change your boards nickname to something that will not reveal your identity. Your post is NOT anything the board admin have to delete, the reason is in article 17. 3.

Falling under the journalistic rights, and the right of Freedom to Speech. 
The board admin/owner can justify that the thread no longer will be understandable IF some of the post where deleted, and will for fill the law by anonymous your nick (IF the username could lead to your true identity. IF your username where "Paul", the board admin can just delete your access to the board, so not more able to login. Course there is millions "Paul" in the world, and no one can clame that that nick will track your true identity).

About the need of the plugin, well IF the username where trace able to users true identity, a plugin that can change quote username to new username will be satisfied. Nothing more is needed.
(2018-05-18, 06:29 AM)BaggerHD Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to be a misunderstanding about the new law. @Sarisisop, even IF you had asked to delete your account and post, the boards admin did not have to do anything more then just delete you as a member.
(you can't clame that your nickname can reveal your true identity)

Yes I know BaggerHD, that is why I said "Intended as a joke"  Wink  

The OP did say "THANKS A LOT FOR ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK" so I felt I was giving feedback. I also thought the conversation between Myself and Labrocca was constructive too, I didn't think it was spam. I was just posting in a light hearted manner in my last answer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14