MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [ANYONE?] Help Jfusion project!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2009-08-13, 08:06 AM)mariusvr Wrote: [ -> ]...It is very unrewarding for me as a free opensource developers to get so many negative comments and therefore you will find that we will focus our development with other forum softwares that are happy to be exposed to millions of Joomla users..

Thanks, Marius

Thanks for the huge project Marius.
Also, it is not fair to judge all of us based on the words of a few people, (even if some of them are staff members)

BTW, MyBB core developers and top management do not work on plugins.

(2009-08-02, 12:36 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]I contacted JFusion devs now... I might use Joomla for my next project so I'll take care for the MyBB plugin.
If I can not improove the situation with them, I might use SMF or PhpBB instead.

Help IS available....?
We have a plugin dev willing to help, what happened with this?
seeker mentors aren't staff Wink.

But, mariusvr it's not that we don't want to open our selves to millions of potential people. It's just we as current users of mybb don't feel the need to integrate with a script we feel isn't at a good level. I mean Joomla is honestly one of the CMSs I have personally used. It's a huge project that lost control of it self. In all honesty I think they should have a complete rewrite before adding any features. As it's huge and slow. Even out of the box it's one the slowest loading CMSs I've come across. The Admin panel is a joke it take 10 minutes to find simple things. Even with all their features I found out i couldn't make sub-categories without an add-on. The project in my eyes is a joke used by noob admins who aren't willing to search for something that will make their lives truly easier.

I mean Drupal is easier to use. Yes, Drupal! It's probably the most unfriendly CMSs to use for Noobs as it uses a lot terminology. But, once you get the basics of that down it's a great system. The thing is though it's actually usable for complicated sites. And, well Joomla is only usable for simple sites but it's to big and bulky that it's not worth using on simple sites.

You would be better off using one of the smaller projects or even something like Wordpress which is becoming more than just a blogging script. But, a project like SilverStripe would be great for noob admins. It's feature rich and has a WYSIWYG editor and honestly the developers are actually looking towards the future of the web and not just giving people a bunch of old code so all the plugins will still work.
(2009-08-14, 06:21 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]...mariusvr it's not that we don't want to open our selves to millions of potential people...

You what is funny NetSage (and all other people who don't like Joomla)?

On other forums, I used to be the one trying to warn newbies that Joolma "is highly over-rated and usually a waste of time."
Joomla is (can be) just a "required component" in the background.
  • jFusion (not joomla) is incredible, you can achieve user-sync, and single sign-on with several open-source scripts.
Soon they will have jFusion working across multiple domains and servers. Heart

##
ps. Anyone who can afford to, please, donate $$ to MyBB and / or jFusion today.
It's not about jFusion though. It's about what jFusion is based on. I'm not going to put words in the developers mouths and say "Oh, this sucks and that sucks" or "We won't do it because..." because I don't know about their opinions. All I know, is if I was a developer for MyBB - I wouldn't want to help until they organize Joomla! more and make it easier to use. It's dumb to work off an "unsteady" platform.
(2009-08-14, 11:00 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]It's not about jFusion though. It's about what jFusion is based on....

For you, it's about what jFusion is based on...
For me, and many others, it's about exciting experiments with single sign-on (SSO); What are the options for SSO which *actually work* for someone who is not an expert programmer?

aMember?
Cost = ~$180 + ~$40 for every module!! Limited to only one domain... {Forget It}

Typo3?
Free, but the SSO mods are mostly outdated, and I never got any to work; Has anyone here succeed with Typo3 SSO?

Moodle?
If your server has the correct dependencies, I was able to get Moodles' SSO working, even on *different domains and multiple servers.*
You are stuck using only Moodle, and the keys all need to be replaced, and re-entered into each site, every 30 days.

OpenID?
Has some potential, but is not an actual single sign-on.

jFusion?
Free & works well (if you follow the instructions), your users do not have to ever see the Joomla (depending on the set-up), and "soon they will have jFusion working across multiple domains and servers." Exclamation
  • Many open-source dev's have tackled SSO, and jFusion has produced a quality product which actually works.
But, out of all the single sign on options you listed I would say OpenID would be the best in the long run. As it would allow people a single login not only between the CMS and Forum but across many sites. Well in a way of course it's based on your openid which you can use to login but your username and everything may not be the same on everysite.

While jfusion is limited to just Joomla and what ever forum you integrate it with.

Typo3 shouldn't even be listed as well I could never get it to install. And, well I was only able to find good support in German which doesn't personally help me. Drupal again would be a better example in my eyes and it already supports openid.
(2009-08-15, 01:04 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]But, out of all the single sign on options you listed I would say OpenID would be the best in the long run....

I like OpenID a lot, for some types of authentication, but it is not a *real* SSO, why?
With Moodle SSO, for example, you login only once, and when you "travel" to another domain (even on another server), you are automatically still logged in. Moodle does it (very securely) with public/private keys.

With OpenID you are logging in (each time) everywhere, they just make it really easy.
Also, OpenID can have serious issues with usernames, since it is a URL being used to login.
A userID can be passed with OpenID, and then you can easily get two people with the same username posting on your blog, CMS, or forum.

#
Nothing on that list is currently "perfect"; When jFusion 1.2 starts to work on multiple domains (and multiple servers) ....
You will be able to sync your users and offer SSO on a growing list of open-source platforms. Unless someone comes up with a better option, I've discovered a reason to use Joomla in the background. Toungue
I didn't argue about moodle as I haven't had any experience with it personally.

But, it sounds like a very nice project that I would like to see integrated with MyBB Toungue.

Looks like the drupal community had it for awhile but the project looks to be dropped Toungue.
^^^
Have you ever seen this before? Open source e-portfolio and social networking software - Mahara
http://mahara.org/
Mahara has a perfect, secure SSO with Moodle, adding MyBB would be amazing. Smile

#
ps. Right now, you could connect them all together, including MyBB (using jFusion), and your end-users would never know Joomla was involved.* Toungue

* Depending on the exact configuration of the set-up.
(2009-08-15, 03:34 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]ps. Right now, you could connect them all together, including MyBB (using jFusion), and your end-users would never know Joomla was involved.* Toungue

Or! We can avoid the middle man and just make a moodle plugin Wink. I think that's better than even messing with jfusion and wasting 20mb of my server space with something I won't even be using.Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7