MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release] Super Canonical
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:Semi-offtopic but by Ajax Post Spy do you mean one similar to the Digitalpoint one?

Yes that's exactly what I mean. I started one already but I prefer my imitator make it. No sense in me making plugins if we have him to do it. I make most of my plugins from neccessity. It's no longer neccessary for me to waste my time making plugins. Certainly at least not releasing them.

Yumi Wrote:I do believe this guy has a funny intention but nevertheless, he's providing free alternatives for everyone (so you're not forced to signup and contribute somewhere in some way), not asking anything for it and isn't being abusive. If he wants to be this way, so be it, I see nothing wrong and in the end, MyBB users benefit, which is what we should be promoting.

I agree. We should be promoting Mybb and anything that benefits it's users.

I am personally hurt by this person but that shouldn't have any bearing on how Mybb reacts to him. We should welcome him and even encourage him to make more plugins. What bothers me is that now I have no motivation to make plugins and release them. Unfortunately I am an adult with real bills and children to feed. I justified my time working on Mybb with the income I generated at Mybb Central. That's no longer going to work since people won't sign up if every new plugin I create gets imitated. I think that's what this member intended. So be it. I can't stop it. Effectively my days of releasing plugins is done.

I just really hope this person fills the void and does continue to make mybb plugins. It would be a shame if weeks go by and they do nothing. Then I decide to spend hours making something and this person pops up and imitates me again. It's a slap in the face. This person mocks me and imitates me. Who here would be happy about that? I accept it though. There is little I can do about it.

I have other projects to work on. I will work on some templates and probably open a few new forums. I need to find a new source of income to replace the losses I will have at Mybb Central.

Good luck to lar_bw0cker and his future here. Let's all hope he continues to make useful plugins.
(2009-03-23, 03:32 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. We should be promoting Mybb and anything that benefits it's users.

I am personally hurt by this person but that shouldn't have any bearing on how Mybb reacts to him. We should welcome him and even encourage him to make more plugins. What bothers me is that now I have no motivation to make plugins and release them. Unfortunately I am an adult with real bills and children to feed. I justified my time working on Mybb with the income I generated at Mybb Central. That's no longer going to work since people won't sign up if every new plugin I create gets imitated. I think that's what this member intended. So be it. I can't stop it. Effectively my days of releasing plugins is done.

I just really hope this person fills the void and does continue to make mybb plugins. It would be a shame if weeks go by and they do nothing. Then I decide to spend hours making something and this person pops up and imitates me again. It's a slap in the face. This person mocks me and imitates me. Who here would be happy about that? I accept it though. There is little I can do about it.

I have other projects to work on. I will work on some templates and probably open a few new forums. I need to find a new source of income to replace the losses I will have at Mybb Central.

Good luck to lar_bw0cker and his future here. Let's all hope he continues to make useful plugins.

OFF TOPIC:
Hi Jesse,
I wouldn't quit if I where you. You have some very good plugins that this guy will not be able to replicate, also only if you keep your plugins updated you will still have users that will pay subscription at your site (At lest I know I would, and you can bet on me keeping my subscription at your site if you only support and update your existing plugins when is needed). You are one of the last few guys that make good plugins, some of them very useful and if you stop I am not sure, but I think that MyBB will go towards a forum only for gamers and in time will lose in front of the other two big ones, but mostly SMF. What is fun a few days ago I was thinking about migrating all my forums to SMF even I like better MyBB. And what is more fun I was thinking to stop making plugins and ask some other plugin maker to take over what I have done, and one that I was thinking at it was you.
But to make the post short, I would still release plugins (or at lest I would still support what I have released) if I was you.
Good Luck!
I have a few projects started. I hope to finish those at least. But I used to release themes pretty often and I think I will spend time on those. Those are actually protected by copyright law unlike the idea of a plugin.

I would like to see lar_bw0cker welcomed more by Mybb members and encourage him to make plugins. Maybe you can ask him to take over your projects.

Quote:You have some very good plugins that this guy will not be able to replicate

No...he is a better coder than I am. He can replicate all my work probably in half the time it takes me to code. I am not a great coder. I just accomplish through perseverance. I am probably a faster theme maker though. Smile I was happy making plugins but I will be just as happy with whatever else I do.
Unfortunately I doubt this guy will make any original plugins, just copy your work, so now we're effectively losing the best plugin source for MyBB. Honestly, it makes me want to switch to another software, but I have so much invested in MyBB as it is. Sad
Such a shame you came up with plugins i would have never thought i wanted such as MyTabs the tabby forum one, yet i love this plugin and find it excellent, I would hope you rethink your decision I would also hope this new guy stays at MyBB but spends some time over in the Plugin Requests Forum and create some of those.
Labrocca...
Creating themes is an excellent idea. I've seen some of your work, and you are great at it.
However...I wouldn't give up on plugins either. By offering custom plugins and themes, you are indeed offering more to your subscribing members,which will keep them coming back. And I can bet onlookers (non-subscribed members and guests) will want to get a piece of the action.

I'm one of your many loyal followers, that get all excited like a little schoolboy, when you release a plugin.
We know that it will be of top quality and worth using. The same, I'm sure, will be true for your themes. Why not offer the best of both worlds...something that will boost the subscriptions even more. Remember, there are sites out there now offering themes for free...but very few of them offer both quality plugins and themes.

Just my little piece of advice.
(2009-03-23, 07:52 PM)Gordie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm one of your many loyal followers, that get all excited like a little schoolboy, when you release a plugin.
We know that it will be of top quality and worth using.

Same. There are hardly any mybbcentral plugins that I don't use, they all work well and are easy to install and use. I've said before that it isn't the fact that these plugins are similar per se that I think is a bit off, it's the way it's done, the username, the thread style being exactly the same as yours with previous releases, etc. Stopping making plugins would be a really bad thing.
Hapatio Wrote:I would also hope this new guy stays at MyBB but spends some time over in the Plugin Requests Forum and create some of those

True, I guess that trying to reinvent the wheel when it already exists is easier instead of coming up with something original.

There are many good plugins requests which would benefit users but hardly any takers...

Cheers,
Gene
I support all MyBB related developments and I hope labrocca does not decide to give up because of this. I'm sure you already know, however such plugins as these do not mean loss of revenue for you and I'm sure you can see plenty of reasons for you to continue. I could say more, but all in all, it's your decision. I hope you decide to continue contributing as you have done so far, and I really don't think two plugins with similar functionality to yours is really something you need to worry about.

On another note, this thread has gone way off-topic...
Has anyone noticed if you switch the 'r' and 'w' in lar_bw0cker it says law_br0ker? Looks very similar to law breaker. Undecided If he is super_labrocca this thread may be worth looking at.

Most of the plugins I use are Labrocca's It would seriously suck if he quit making plugins.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6