MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will Mybb ever become too big?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Looking at the direction of Mybb I have to wonder if we aren't adding too many features. It's great to have software that's abundant in features but the mybb team seems so small and the project so large. Eventually this is going to be a problem imho as the resources of mybb team are limited.

Seems to me that many features of the current version of Mybb could be fine tuned much more than adding on a ton of new features or heck..the planned rebuilding that 2.0 will be.

Anyone else worry about Mybb getting ahead of itself? It would only take two key developers to leave and this project would come to a near halt imho. Can we rely so heavily that forever Mybb can keep current and this same growth pace for features? It's impressive for sure but risky too.

Discuss...
I'd just like to add this. Even if the main developers decide to leave for some reason, we do have backups. Smile
We realize our current limitations as they stand right now and we have been discussing possible strategies to attract more profession to our staff. Changes aren't going to be rolled out overnight, but we're discussing some stuff.
Yes i do. Mybb is going so fast yet it lacks so many basic features. Ex. Lex's group permissions, would be a nice addon. As would many of yours, Labrocca, and Matt's new ones too.
I wouldn't consider those basic features. What they are - features that other forum software's have, which aren't even necessary, but people want 'just because'. Adding one more feature just means adding one extra thing to the list, requiring updates, security fixes/updates, etc. I think this is what labrocca is getting at - all these things are just simply features to please the userbase. But hey, that's what forums are about, right? Becoming the most popular software available.

I think the project is going along at a good pace. Things get done 'when they're ready', but none the less no one's in a rush - so essentially, from my viewpoint, it's a relatively low-stress situation (don't quote me on this, and correct me if I'm wrong; just my input).

Though, I am a bit concerned. If you take a look at it, MyBB really does compete with the big guys (IPB, vBulletin, etc.), not only in terms of features and performance, but in support and all the other little things. It's good, but bad at the same time. I always wonder, "what could they possibly add to make it better?" Of course, nothing really comes to mind Toungue

I think if MyBB concentrated on making the best even better, rather than always growing, it would get farther Smile
(2009-05-12, 11:24 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]We realize our current limitations as they stand right now and we have been discussing possible strategies to attract more profession to our staff. Changes aren't going to be rolled out overnight, but we're discussing some stuff.

Glad to see the issue is recognized.

I think if I was to be in charge of the project I would work on group permissions as my #1 priority for 1.6x. Seems to me that the existing perms are all forum related and not by group. Also I think the error handling could be greatly improved.

I just hate to see mybb follow VB by adding features outside the focus of a forum software when it could do so much more in it's own existing realm.

Good discussion though imho.
(2009-05-13, 12:54 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I just hate to see mybb follow VB by adding features outside the focus of a forum software when it could do so much more in it's own existing realm.

True that - it's really the main attraction to MyBB, a free vBulletin.
The hard part is finding staff members that contribute and stick around. Smile

We're getting there though.
(2009-05-13, 12:56 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-13, 12:54 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I just hate to see mybb follow VB by adding features outside the focus of a forum software when it could do so much more in it's own existing realm.

Not true. the layout is different. vb is almost a social network these days. mybb still a community.
(2009-05-13, 01:08 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-05-13, 12:56 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]

Not true. the layout is different. vb is almost a social network these days. mybb still a community.

I agree. The attraction is a full featured forum without too much fluff. I can afford a VB license and had one...got rid of it because imho the software is too bloated. Pretty soon VB is gonna require a dedicated server for pretty much any use. I have many complaints about any software that's not modular and requires me to install lots of components I just don't need. I think that's why Wordpress is #1 blog software over Joomla. With Joomla much is built in while Wordpress has an incredibly easy plugin system that works very well. Wordpress core hasn't really changed all that much in features since 1.x days. I would like to see Mybb follow in that same regard where it strengthens core features and allows for simpler plugin use.

Right now there are elements of the plugin system that can be made easier such as a better blank template function. The 1.4x admincp is a great step in the right direction for that imho. Took me a bit to figure it all out but well worth it. Very good design.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10