MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Win7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Now, watching this forum from my "stripped-Vlite" of Windows 7 on Pentium III 866MHz Smile
Yeah, faster than XP..
(2009-11-15, 07:29 AM)Sundim Wrote: [ -> ]I really like that it just shows the icons in the start bar now, and not the actual program names heh... Saves so much space!

I turn that off. When you have multiple instances of applications open, it helps to know which instance you are selecting Smile
(2009-11-15, 02:41 PM)MrD. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-15, 07:29 AM)Sundim Wrote: [ -> ]I really like that it just shows the icons in the start bar now, and not the actual program names heh... Saves so much space!

I turn that off. When you have multiple instances of applications open, it helps to know which instance you are selecting Smile

It's still just one icon though, with live view when holding your mouse over.
(2009-11-15, 04:00 PM)Martin M. Wrote: [ -> ]

+1 to the first and last
To the middle, yeah, leave it turned on and hover over (mouseover) the icon to see a little live display with each window in it.

To be honest I'm glad Windows has stolen that look and mouseover function from KDE. It rocks.
I just got a laptop with Win7 on it. It's cool, so far so good.
I'd like to try Linux though. But my dad won't let me now..
I once wanted winVista when it came out, in my winXP desktop.. installed it, and a couple of months I wanted to switch back to winXP because it was too slow and stuff. Now he says "you're not switching again!" I even told him I could handle to do everything in order to get Linux working. But eh.. he just won't let me.

Still thinking of some way to convince him to install Ubuntu.
I am satisfied with win7, yeah.. but I just like Linux.
(2009-11-15, 04:00 PM)Martin M. Wrote: [ -> ]

I turn grouping off too since anything that increases the amount of clicks I have to use to switch between things is a bad thing. Also having the text in the taskbar makes it pretty damn clear when things are open or are just pinned there.

My main gripe for grouping and the live view is that they all add delay (in the case of grouping it means more mouse moving, and in the case of live view that is an actual delay before it decides to show you what you want to see).

To be fair, when I am cross-referencing something, I will normally open the thing I am referencing on the other monitor from what I am working on; but I still like text on my taskbar entries.
(2009-11-15, 10:14 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Still thinking of some way to convince him to install Ubuntu.
I am satisfied with win7, yeah.. but I just like Linux.

Instead of trying to think of some way to convince him to "install" it, how about convincing him to use something that doesn't REQUIRE installation?

Live CD Version of Mandriva lets you boot directly from the CD into a Linux desktop. Of course, it isn't persistent, but you can solve that if you have a large USB key and "seed" Mandriva to it using Mandriva Seed, however that requires you have a PC that can boot from USB, OR that you make a boot disk/cd to boostrap to the USB drive for loading. All of this is pretty well documented on Mandriva's site.

(2009-11-15, 10:53 PM)MrD. Wrote: [ -> ]I turn grouping off too since anything that increases the amount of clicks I have to use to switch between things is a bad thing. Also having the text in the taskbar makes it pretty damn clear when things are open or are just pinned there.

My main gripe for grouping and the live view is that they all add delay (in the case of grouping it means more mouse moving, and in the case of live view that is an actual delay before it decides to show you what you want to see).

To be fair, when I am cross-referencing something, I will normally open the thing I am referencing on the other monitor from what I am working on; but I still like text on my taskbar entries.

Well, those are all good reasons to turn it off. I'm undecided to far. Its nice ON for small resolutions, but far high res monitors where you have tons of space anyways, its not needed.
Can Win7 also be called "The Future OS"?
(2009-11-15, 08:07 AM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Now, watching this forum from my "stripped-Vlite" of Windows 7 on Pentium III 866MHz Smile
Yeah, faster than XP..
I thought MS recommended at least 1GHz or something. I tried a stock Win7 build 7260 install on my netbook (Atom 1.6GHz) but was far more laggy than a nLite'd XP, so used that. This Windows 7 on my desktop has gone through vLite, but can't really strip much out since it's prone to breaking. Never really got dism working that well either, so I just stripped out the most annoying things and resorted to turning everything off instead.
(2009-11-16, 06:23 AM)MadZula Man Wrote: [ -> ]Can Win7 also be called "The Future OS"?

No, because we already have it Toungue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28