MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Win7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(2009-11-21, 02:10 AM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I beg to differ. Efficient code is often SMALLER because it makes proper use of functions for repeated tasks that are used in multiple places.

I lolled. Like Firestryke31 said, loops and function calls are actually less efficient than unrolled loops and "god" functions because of the processor cache. The reason people use loops and functions is because it makes development easier, and the code more maintainable. Given this amount of overhead is usually quite negligible but it does start to have an effect when working with low end systems (I'm talking hand-held consoles and phones here, not just shitty PCs).

(2009-11-21, 05:42 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't surprise me if there were source files that haven't been touched since '99 that everyone just kind of forgot about.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were files people weren't even allowed to touch since no-one understood the code within any more and it fell under the "it works, just leave it alone" principle.

(2009-11-21, 05:42 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I'm sure that there are a bunch of software bugs MS would be absolutely thrilled to fix, or even just throw those entire modules out the door, but can't because some big important company has software that relies on that buggy behavior. Instead, they reinvent the wheel so they can leave the broken one in so that they can be free to develop the new one without breaking that program that relies on the broken one.

The Win32 API springs to mind. Parts of the Win32 API are fundamentally broken but Microsoft can't fix this since the Win32 API is built to a DLL and DLLs have to maintain binary compatibility with previous versions of the same DLL so re-writing chunks of the Win32 API are only allowed providing the external API doesn't change, you can't make fundamental changes without breaking that rule. This is one of the reasons the .NET API came to be, to address major issues with the Win32 API; it's just a shame that .NET is only for managed code.
To anyone (like me) who prefers the classic start menu, maybe this can help. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.
(2009-11-24, 09:12 PM)MrD. Wrote: [ -> ]To anyone (like me) who prefers the classic start menu, maybe this can help. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

If it works, post here please.
Yeah, the new start menu is annoying IMO, but I'll live with it. Thanks for the info though.
Actually, I personally want a good shell replacement - have yet to find one which suits me...
Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.
I thought the RC was locked?
Nope, the RCs still work.
No i mean downloads for it.
I installed Windows 7 yesterday. Went without a hitch, it installed itself onto the partition I told it to and left the Linux partitions and encrypted HDD alone. Didn't have to install a single driver to use it for gaming (although I guess that will change in the future with new hardware). Seems smoother than Windows XP (probably also because it now sees 8GB RAM instead of just 3.5).

Only negative thing is that whenever my (Linux) USB stick is connected, it pops up a window "You have to format this drive before you can use it. Do you want to format it now? Yes/No". If I clicked yes there I'd lose my data, and I haven't found an option yet to disable this pop up box. Other than that it leaves my Linux stuff alone though like it should.
Glad it works so nicely for you frostschutz, Linux formatted USB sticks are a mess on 7, I experienced that too...

Just out of curiosity - did anybody run a virtual Linux on 7 allready?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28