MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Tutorial] Tabbed forum with jQuery (multi categories in one tab)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2009-12-27, 04:59 AM)Skyance Wrote: [ -> ]If I would have known this before I bought my subscription... well I would have still bought my subscription it anyways, this is a waste of time as you could just pay the measly $10 and get the plugin that takes 2 minutes to install/config.

This would be good if you only wanted it to work on certain themes.
Nice, but the main reason Labrocca has one is because with his method you can add more than one category into a tab. With this, every category has a separate tab, which makes every tab only has one category. Pretty pointless.
Labrocca's method was designed to make it easier for forums with a lot of categories to be more user friendly in browsing.

No offense, honestly, it's a great tutorial!
wow, brilliant job. I just noticed this on Tierney's forum and it is much nicer than Labrocca's plugin.
I agree. This is much more sleek than Labrocca's.
Just wanted to say Tierney has a very nice design going there. Would be a good showcase site for this particular tutorial.

As to whether a plugin or a tutorial is better; I just think it's fantastic that people have a choice as to what approach they can take for a particular feature.

Thanks for posting your tutorial here, Joey_Pham!

For instance, for tabs only, one could use CSS only, or a combination of Javascript and CSS. And if you did decide to opt for a framework, you can also choose between e.g. jQuery or MooTools.
Okay, how do you add multiple categories in one tab?
(2010-03-02, 07:49 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, how do you add multiple categories in one tab?

You can't, that's why I said Labrocca's method is better. It may be paid, but it's the only way to do what you're asking for.
(Actually, I think someone made a free plugin that works the same way, and you can add multiple categories to a tab. Not sure it he released it, but I know he was working on it.)
Thanks it works. Another reason not to buy plugin. Thanks for the code.
(2010-03-02, 08:45 PM)Joshee Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-02, 07:49 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, how do you add multiple categories in one tab?

You can't, that's why I said Labrocca's method is better. It may be paid, but it's the only way to do what you're asking for.
(Actually, I think someone made a free plugin that works the same way, and you can add multiple categories to a tab. Not sure it he released it, but I know he was working on it.)

Well, from reading the source from the mod, it seems it doesn't allow multiple categories 'cause it uses "title="cat_*".
Now, I'm thinking if we go into {forums} and manually define everything (btw, anyone know what template that is? I want to try this), like the categories, it should work.

But then again, most of you know more about this than I do, so meh. :/
The source code of Labrocca's mod?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17