MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: FAQ on MyBB 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
You see, no matter what we do, it's never good enough. If we were to set a solid release date and we went past it, people would complain. If we were to set a solid release date and rush to meet that date, making mistakes along the way, people would complain. If we don't set any release dates and just say when we hope to have a beta released, people complain that it's late. If we gave absolutely no dates whatsoever, people would complain that we're not doing anything and claim they weren't being kept in the loop. So, either way, people aren't going to like it. If you're so desperate to have it, check out the SVN code and use it. We will release it when we feel it is ready. There is not 'nothing'. If you look on the dev site you'll see the developers have been doing far from nothing. Have you posted suggested fixes to bug reports to speed the process along?? Have you been testing the SVN code to find bugs to speed the process along?? I get the impression from a lot of people that they want everything to happen just like that, but don't seem to want to do anything to help. There has been steady development at a good pace considering the developers' other, more important commitments. Give them a break for God's sake.
^^^^^^ Yep. Like I said, a no-win situation. And the SVN is not only available but there are actually people using it (I've heard of one using it on their main site, though I wouldn't do that myself). If you want to see, get it and see. Past that I'd rather it wait around forever and be stable than be released and have major bugs that need patched every other day (or week or whatever).
True stuff matt, none of you need 1.6 right now anyways, 1.4 is fine and if you want it just for the features you can wait, it's not like 1.4 isn't working or anything, patience will reward you.
Quote:Have you been testing the SVN code to find bugs to speed the process along?
i planned to use MyBB 1.6 SVN as my main site as i would have enough data to test the new code fully while using. Testing on localhost is boring. With no or little self created users or posts, how can we test the moderation scripts for example. Thats why i was tempted to use it as my main site.
I wish Good luck to MyBB 1.6 and its developers.
I know what you mean and I know John Briggs is doing that, and I believe he's found some bugs because of it, but it is risky as we can't support you and there's no guarantee any upgrades will go as smoothly as a normal 1.4 > 1.6 upgrade.
Yeah Matt, I feel ya. People are annoying.

It's like waiting for a new book to come out. Your not going to complain to an author of a book that they haven't hurried and made it come out sooner. Why? Because they are a big name author and you probably just don't want to complain.

Same thing here, people just need to wait and accept that everyone's schedule isn't for them. People aren't devoting their time to make 1 person happy.

That's what the SVN is for. Go and use it if you want it so bad. I'm using it just to see what 1.6 is like and to get my themes ready for the release. Will I use it on a live forum? Probably not. 1.4 has all the necessary functions that i need. I probably won't even be upgrading until all the essential plugins I need are upgraded as well. And if it comes down to it, I'll upgrade them myself.

Sure 1.6 has a lot of new features that people want. But the majority of people asking for them are these newbies who have no patience and little to no experience with MyBB or forums in general.

They should just start using 1.4 and make it work. Because honestly, no sense in getting 500 plugins and 1000 different features if you don't build the forum right. It will just be dead. So make it work with 1.4, stop complaining and give the staff a break.

They work alot harder than you work on all of your forums combined. Heck they probably work harder than me, and I go to school 8 hours a day, work for 3 hours after school every day then come home and do more work for websites. All the staff are probably working way harder than me and I respect that. Which is why I'm in no rush for the upgrade. Would I like some of the features? Of course I would but I don't need them to run a forum.
What did I scare everyone away with my post?
I knew it. Mybb 2.0 will be a blast to the future
This is talking about 1.6.
I saw that you guys are now fixing bugs in 1.6 final release. Can we know how stable is it right now? is there any major issue currently being worked on? Or we are almost there...?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17