MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why ICQ, MSN, AIM still in profile and not FB, Twitter, etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2010-05-23, 04:43 PM)Nitrus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-23, 04:42 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]If you use the right msn/aim/yahoo/etc client, you can send encrypted messages, that their respective owners can't read. You cannot do that on facebook, twitter, or myspace.

What's that go to do with whether MyBB should keep them or not?

Oh sorry i forgot to enter my point there. My point is i have about 50-70 on my list alone, who won't even make a facebook for that reason. So thats why they are still on there. They are still used. I don't know many people who use facebook chat. Most people i know always say "Hey, get on msn bro"
The issue isn't which is the best IM method. The issue is whether there should be some facility in MyBB for allow a user to enter their username/profile link for some of the new social networks.
(2010-05-23, 11:41 PM)Nitrus Wrote: [ -> ]The issue isn't which is the best IM method. The issue is whether there should be some facility in MyBB for allow a user to enter their username/profile link for some of the new social networks.

Which someones arguement was they weren't used as much. Imho most people on forums use MSN more then facebook, for people they meet on forums. There are us brave (Or just stupid) few who don't care see our facebooks.
As Nitrus said those can be easily added with the custom field option but I do believe Twitter, Facebook, and Skype should be added as they are services that are bigger than ICQ Toungue. Also I don't think MSN will go anywhere soon as Facebook chat sucks at the moment.
OK, so IF we could choose which four were default, what would you choose?

My choice -

MSN
Facebook
That's precisely the point, this type of functionality is a matter of user choice, MyBB can only integrate the functionality that best represents the use of these platforms today.

Not only that, but there becomes an issue with dependency on third-party platforms, you would have to limit the integration of Twitter and Facebook significantly in order to protect the future of the software.

I do agree that some of those contact options need revising.
I am only asking that the contact options be updated to more current/relevant options, not for full access to the FaceBook API or anything like that. Just a simple "enter your username" and MyBB will link it to the appropriate profile URL
but this is only a easy mod
(2010-05-28, 10:06 PM)Walkman 5.0 Wrote: [ -> ]but this is only a easy mod

That's not the point. If 90% of people are going to want to change it, why should it be a mod and not a standard feature? The flip-side of the argument is that a lot of people still use MSN, ICQ, AIM, YIM.

Personally I don't have a problem with setting up profile fields how I want them to be, but for a new user, that task might seem a lot more complicated. Then again, every other BB has those 4 profile fields by default.
Well, let's keep Yahoo! and AIM. I would like to add Skype though at least. Facebook and Twitter are good though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6