MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why ICQ, MSN, AIM still in profile and not FB, Twitter, etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2010-05-29, 05:23 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]ICQ is rarely used anymore [...]

In Germany it is used by a lot of people! IMHO it's the most used IM protocol here.
(2010-05-30, 10:09 AM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-29, 05:23 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]ICQ is rarely used anymore [...]

In Germany it is used by a lot of people! IMHO it's the most used IM protocol here.
Yah the problem is that different areas use different services. For example the USA and Asia uses AIM but in Europe and Canada it's more MSN and ICQ. Also Facebook isn't that dominate in Europe as most countries got their own services just like Facebook in their own langauge. The only global service I can think of it Twitter at the moment.
As I said, there are a lot of service for nearly everything...
Skype is an actual contact while FB and Twitter are social sites. I dont' see a reason to add them to the contacts section. Skype would be more appropriate.
but you can still contact people via those networks.
This is just a load of rubbish...
Of all the people i know, hardly any of them use facebook or twitter, for one thing because they have something better to do than no lifeing each thing they do or going all happy because they now have 100 friends on their list...
All of them have atleast Yahoo or msn ( some even aim ) because it's useful and a good way for instant contact besides e-mail.
I'd say hardly any of you will be able to tell that they have yahoo or msn or aim or icq and they never use the messenger to chat.
Also agree with labrocca, those are just social sites whilst the others are actual contacts.
( Will look real professional for a company... a twitter link as contact instead of a <yourname>@yahoo.com )
(2010-05-31, 05:13 AM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]This is just a load of rubbish...
Of all the people i know, hardly any of them use facebook or twitter, for one thing because they have something better to do than no lifeing each thing they do or going all happy because they now have 100 friends on their list...
All of them have atleast Yahoo or msn ( some even aim ) because it's useful and a good way for instant contact besides e-mail.
I'd say hardly any of you will be able to tell that they have yahoo or msn or aim or icq and they never use the messenger to chat.
Also agree with labrocca, those are just social sites whilst the others are actual contacts.
( Will look real professional for a company... a twitter link as contact instead of a <yourname>@yahoo.com )
It's sad to see when people form opinions without having any knowledge about what they are saying. Facebook is probably the most effective way to contact someone besides email as you can chat with them, send them an message, or write on their wall. You can also look up people by their names and by high school they went too. Facebook is meant to contact people and share information with them, it does everything AIM, MSN, ICQ, etc do plus more! You don't chat on Facebook because you have no life but you chat with Facebook to interact with each other when you can't meet them. For example you don't see your friends every day for 24 hours do you? On Facebook you can keep in contact with them and share information even when your not with them.

Twitter is used to let people know whats going on, not to chat with each other. A company would use Twitter to keep people up to date, not to contact people so your argument doesn't make any sense. Also in my opinion a Twitter link would look way more professional and web 2.0 for a company than a @yahoo.com email address because it's pretty sad when a company has to use a yahoo email instead of their own @. A company could also supply their email on their Twitter profile for the people that prefer to contact via email.

I think AIM, MSN, ICQ will die out sooner or later as you got Facebook chat which in the future I can see to be a client. Instead of MSN, AIM, ICQ client you will have a Facebook client that allows you to IM to all the people that are your Facebook friends.

You also said that Facebook and Twitter are social services and not contact services but the whole point of a social services is to be able to contact and share information. As I said with Facebook you got multiple ways to interact with each other and that also counts for Twitter as you can write to someone or send private messages.
(2010-05-31, 05:13 AM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]This is just a load of rubbish...
Don't talk about things you don't actually understand yourself. This is just a load of rubbish and facts based on your opinion.
I agree on adding a Skype field.

Not so sure about Facebook or Twitter, which are social networks, not IM clients. And imo shouldn't be included by default.
Facebook does have an IM function though. Also, these are methods of contact for that person, not necessarily IM clients.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6