MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why ICQ, MSN, AIM still in profile and not FB, Twitter, etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2010-05-28, 04:34 PM)gamesmad Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so IF we could choose which four were default, what would you choose?

My choice -

MSN
Facebook
I think it should come with the standards but needs to get an option in the ACP that will allow us to remove, edit, add new ones in the Contact Details. If you really want this now than you can edit it manually in with some Template editing and database configuration.
(2010-05-29, 09:43 AM)gamesmad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-28, 10:06 PM)Walkman 5.0 Wrote: [ -> ]but this is only a easy mod

That's not the point. If 90% of people are going to want to change it, why should it be a mod and not a standard feature? The flip-side of the argument is that a lot of people still use MSN, ICQ, AIM, YIM.

Personally I don't have a problem with setting up profile fields how I want them to be, but for a new user, that task might seem a lot more complicated. Then again, every other BB has those 4 profile fields by default.

but if you change the languaje file and a litle code modification
Personally, I don't use AIM or Yahoo!

Long story cut short, everyone is going to want different things as default, but there isn't "room" for more than (about) 4 as default.

Perhaps it would be good to keep the ones we have, but also add a few extra fields that the board admin can choose whether or not to use?
(2010-05-29, 02:27 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-28, 04:34 PM)gamesmad Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so IF we could choose which four were default, what would you choose?

My choice -

MSN
Facebook
I think it should come with the standards but needs to get an option in the ACP that will allow us to remove, edit, add new ones in the Contact Details. If you really want this now than you can edit it manually in with some Template editing and database configuration.

Like just make them all custom profile fields instead of having some default fixed ones?
ICQ is rarely used anymore and certainly a lot less than FB or twitter. I'd like to see the twitter used.
(2010-05-29, 05:14 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-29, 02:27 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]

My choice -

MSN
Facebook

Like just make them all custom profile fields instead of having some default fixed ones?
But than you would have an uber long list. I believe that we should have the option to add/remove/edit the Contact block.

If we just add Twitter and Facebook than in a few years we will just get another thread complaining "why isn't there a Soaloricaous field?" or what ever becomes popular than.
i would suggest to remove ICQ,MSN,AIM,YAHOO, etc from the core MyBB.
One could create custom profile fields if he wants it. It annoys me to see the additional contact details which i cannot hide or delete
I think there are too many social services we could add a field for... MyBB 1.6 is feature frozen and there will be enough time to discuss this for MyBB 2.
I am going to work on a plugin that will allow the admin to enable specific contact links, so a list of things to add would be nice. I will leave the default items alone for now.

Facebook
Twitter
MySpace (about as popular as ICQ these days!!)
Digg
Google/Orkut
Bebo
Friendster
LinkedIn
Flickr

Admin will be able to turn them on/off and alter the link template to user profiles at those sites.
(2010-05-29, 02:27 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]If you really want this now than you can edit it manually in with some Template editing and database configuration.

I know how to edit it (I already said in post #29), I'm just debating why those 4 are still default profile fields. It's something that had never crossed my mind until I read this thread, but OP has a good point!

(2010-05-29, 04:33 PM)Walkman 5.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-29, 09:43 AM)gamesmad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-28, 10:06 PM)Walkman 5.0 Wrote: [ -> ]but this is only a easy mod

That's not the point. If 90% of people are going to want to change it, why should it be a mod and not a standard feature? The flip-side of the argument is that a lot of people still use MSN, ICQ, AIM, YIM.

Personally I don't have a problem with setting up profile fields how I want them to be, but for a new user, that task might seem a lot more complicated. Then again, every other BB has those 4 profile fields by default.

but if you change the languaje file and a litle code modification

Thats not the point! If someone is brand new to myBB, wouldn't it be better if they didn't have to do that? Also, what seems very simple to us, isn't so simple to someone who barely knows what PHP is Toungue

(2010-05-29, 09:41 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to work on a plugin that will allow the admin to enable specific contact links, so a list of things to add would be nice. I will leave the default items alone for now.

Facebook
Twitter
MySpace (about as popular as ICQ these days!!)
Digg
Google/Orkut
Bebo
Friendster
LinkedIn
Flickr

Admin will be able to turn them on/off and alter the link template to user profiles at those sites.

I think that is the best solution, and a good plugin would demonstrate how this would be a fantastic core feature Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6