MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions and comments: Our new rules and guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2010-07-29, 03:37 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-29, 02:20 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Then go back to my thread, why include anything if there is an intention of it supposed to be customized. The only reason i am here at the moment is because MyBB looks. Feature wise i would go to PHPBB or SMF, both i just hate the look, neither can keep a calm but cool look. PhpBB looks like a 4 year old on photoshop and crack, SMF a 1999 design. Really, what sets MyBB at first glance, is the theme.

I think the point is that it needs to be original. The forum is called "showcase," "Showcase" being the operative word which implies that there is something to showoff; something original; something more then the standard.

Just like you're never going to see me on the cover of playgirl. I am an average programmer. I'd like to think I am sexy, but truth be told - I am probably not Smile

I've come to that conclusion too...

My point really is, why crush the new guys dream. Thats what SMF and PHPBB has on us right now. The newbs. This is just crushing them. The newbs of today, are the pros of tomorrow. This actually could be a downfall. If we get into an autoinstaller that is popular, thats what is going to be flooded, and just as easy as it is to install a software on there, it is just as easy to remove. I'd sersiously not like to leave a bad taste in their mouths that lasts a long time just because a stupid thing they did when they started.
(2010-07-29, 03:43 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-29, 03:37 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-29, 02:20 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Then go back to my thread, why include anything if there is an intention of it supposed to be customized. The only reason i am here at the moment is because MyBB looks. Feature wise i would go to PHPBB or SMF, both i just hate the look, neither can keep a calm but cool look. PhpBB looks like a 4 year old on photoshop and crack, SMF a 1999 design. Really, what sets MyBB at first glance, is the theme.

I think the point is that it needs to be original. The forum is called "showcase," "Showcase" being the operative word which implies that there is something to showoff; something original; something more then the standard.

Just like you're never going to see me on the cover of playgirl. I am an average programmer. I'd like to think I am sexy, but truth be told - I am probably not Smile

I've come to that conclusion too...

My point really is, why crush the new guys dream. Thats what SMF and PHPBB has on us right now. The newbs. This is just crushing them. The newbs of today, are the pros of tomorrow. This actually could be a downfall. If we get into an autoinstaller that is popular, thats what is going to be flooded, and just as easy as it is to install a software on there, it is just as easy to remove. I'd sersiously not like to leave a bad taste in their mouths that lasts a long time just because a stupid thing they did when they started.

So you'd like us to allow all those type of threads back just so the community could discredit those type of sites again and make the owners even less inclined to run a forum software?

That doesn't make sense. The new rules prevent this.
Actually Tim and i talked about this on MSN, i suggested to him a zero tolerance rule. Meaning a play nice rule, or don't play at all, total banning of the forum, which also restricts our own threads.
(2010-07-29, 04:05 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Actually Tim and i talked about this on MSN, i suggested to him a zero tolerance rule. Meaning a play nice rule, or don't play at all, total banning of the forum, which also restricts our own threads.

We've seen how that doesn't work out for any of us. It causes problems when members then argue with us about subjective moderation and it wastes our time when we have other jobs here at MyBB that we're supposed to be dedicated towards.

It's better to implement policies that prevent these things from happening at the core of the issue, before it gets to a point where it needs interference by a staff member.
I agree with this rule. The forum you linked Mark still shows that effort was put into it, so it can be showcased. I think in the end the rule means that you should put some effort into your forum, so when people go to it there's actually something to look at.
People only flamed when people made a forum with the default logo, default theme, and a couple of general forums. Now that we're stopping this, that's wrong too?? Doesn't make sense. You can't complain in threads when people make forums like this and then complain when we stop them being allowed Undecided If the only thing they're showcasing is their ability to install a forum and make a handful of forums and threads, then they're not showcasing anything.
Tell me if the new forum installation of a volunteer, doing it for a non-profit organisation, trying to showcase their new MyBB installation with the default Theme, default Logo and just a few new forums added with no content could be showcased too make the public awared of the existence of their organisation?

Think carefully before answering, many volunteers do not have much skills in new application installation and are not either an artist or designer. If the goal is to help people with a public forum, having limited skills and money to do so, can they be allowed to be known?

I would like also to know who you believe are the troublemakers, the people trying to showcase a default MyBB forum with no new content or the people harassing them to do so?

In a well educated world with mature participants, this situation would have never occured!

Honestly, i agree with Mark that the rule descriptive sentence is really too strict for some well intentionned new commer to the community. More emphasis should be put on the bad elements inside this community and not the inexperienced new commers trying to do their best to help another community...
(2010-07-29, 01:36 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]Tell me if the new forum installation of a volunteer, doing it for a non-profit organisation, trying to showcase their new MyBB installation with the default Theme, default Logo and just a few new forums added with no content could be showcased too make the public awared of the existence of their organisation?

Think carefully before answering, many volunteers do not have much skills in new application installation and are not either an artist or designer. If the goal is to help people with a public forum, having limited skills and money to do so, can they be allowed to be known?

I would like also to know who you believe are the troublemakers, the people trying to showcase a default MyBB forum with no new content or the people harassing them to do so?

In a well educated world with mature participants, this situation would have never occured!

Honestly, i agree with Mark that the rule descriptive sentence is really too strict for some well intentionned new commer to the community. More emphasis should be put on the bad elements inside this community and not the inexperienced new commers trying to do their best to help another community...

Completely agreed.
(2010-07-29, 01:36 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]Tell me if the new forum installation of a volunteer, doing it for a non-profit organisation, trying to showcase their new MyBB installation with the default Theme, default Logo and just a few new forums added with no content could be showcased too make the public awared of the existence of their organisation?

It's pretty clear cut: Both parties are at fault and we don't have the resources or the time to hold everyone's hand!

Thus, the new rules. Pretty simple.

Really? MyBB's default theme is terrible, I prefer SMF's "Curve".

phpBB wins for the worst theme ever, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7