MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions and comments: Our new rules and guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I'd like to comment on the discussion of the showcase forum and how these rules affect it.

The rules say:

Quote:This forum has three aims:
To show off the potential of MyBB
To allow MyBB users to promote their sites
To allow MyBB users to gain feedback on their forum

But often sites are only evaluated according to the first one. And I think they are doing this because the word "showcase" implies that it's for sites that are customized and developed enough to show off as high levels of achievement. And they are ignoring the fact that it doesn't have to be this. It can simply be for promotion (without shame). And/or simply for feedback.

Anyway, I imagine most people don't read the instructions. But maybe changing the name from "Showcase" to "Show Your MyBB" would help. It might take away the idea that this is only for advanced sites.

And maybe where it says "It should display some form of customization or configuration from a default install" it could add the clarification you made about this could be as simple as changing the logo.

What confuses me is where people can ask for feedback about their sites before they open them. Let's say they are only half way ready to go online, and they want to find out if they are on the right track. Where would they post?

Andrew, I highly disagree with the re-name. It's pretty much stating the same thing. Also, if their sites are half finished then it's only half as good. Any site can succeed, and once they're all done and they post it we'll give them helpful advice to improve that. Until then ask friends.
It's not just about it being an 'advanced' site, it's about sites that have actually had some effort put into them, not something that was only installed 10 minutes ago, has no theme, 5 forums and 2 posts. Yes, you are allowed to post a forum like that, but with a forum like that, there usually really is nothing very positive for people to say about it. When people respond saying that there's nothing on there etc, that is their feedback, because the site wouldn't succeed if it were to stay as it was, and there is nothing else at all for people to comment on.
what is the definition of "bump" you guys have? Older Showcase threads that could use a bump if there is a major change to the site would be nice, but the max bump rule of 5 is not a lot *IF* you guys are considering responding to replies/comments as a bump.
I personally don't consider responding to a question or commenting on someone else said as a bump.
Thanks for confirming, hopefully the rest of the staff feels the same
I have a quick question about the showcase rules. If someone uses up their five bumps and the thread is locked, are they allowed to start up a new thread, or is it "over" for them until the next Showcase reset?
It should be over until the next showcase reset because if it isn't there is no reason to limit the number of total bumps.
(2012-08-04, 02:31 PM)cappazushi Wrote: [ -> ]I have a quick question about the showcase rules. If someone uses up their five bumps and the thread is locked, are they allowed to start up a new thread, or is it "over" for them until the next Showcase reset?

No you can't make a new thread, but showcase is cleaned approximately annually and you can create a new thread then.

It is very easy to avoid bumping your thread five times though. First of all, don't keep bumping your thread after the initial discussion has dried up. Then, only bump your thread when you have significant news and someone else should reply. Once again let discussion of your announcement finish organically. If you keep doing this you should be able to keep your thread active indefinitely without using any of your "bumps" (note that a bump is only defined as when you post twice in a row).

If you make 5 significant announcements and not a single person replies in between then your thread will be closed, but I think in that circumstance it's pretty clear that people here genuinely aren't interested.

Our aim is to avoid threads that keep getting dragged up by their owner long after everyone has lost interest or run out of feedback to give.
Btw I'm not sure if it's with all users, but I can delete my posts. So it's quite easy to avoid that showcase rule by just deleting old bump post and replacing with new.

inb4 I've just ruined a cool member privilege.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7