MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions and comments: Our new rules and guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2013-11-22, 09:34 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Are jokes permitted in General Discussion or any other part of the forum?
I see no reason why not, as long as it isn't directed at a group of people.

(2013-11-22, 09:34 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Is General Discussion a support forum for MyBB software?
No, the clue is in the name. General Discussion; not support, but discussions that don't fit in another category.

(2013-11-22, 09:34 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Are all parts of MyBB forum only for support of MyBB software?
No, some of them are not for support. For example MyBB.com Community & Site Issues is not support for your installation of MyBB but for this website itself. Forums for support are now located under the Support category (located top if the index).
(2013-11-22, 09:34 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Are jokes permitted in General Discussion or any other part of the forum?

Topics must be meaningful and have a point
This is a discussion forum and so posts must provide a source of discussion. We expect the discussion point to be something that is appropriate and relevant given the nature of our community.

(2013-11-22, 09:34 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Is General Discussion a support forum for MyBB software?

This has been explained to you specifically multiple times.

(2013-11-22, 09:34 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]Are all parts of MyBB forum only for support of MyBB software?

No, but the main focus of this community is support. Thus we reserve the right to remove any discussion that we feel does not deserve to be here.
@ Jitendra M
I disagree that the purpose of General Discussion has been specifically explained to me multiple times. I do acknowledge that I have been admonished about certain posts in General Discussion. Those admonishments did not sufficiently answer the questions I posted in this thread.
Ok...

General Discussion is a forum where topics that do not fit in other categories may be posted on. These topics must still follow the global forum rules -> HERE.
and the General Discussion forum rules -> HERE

More to that

Quote:The MyBB staff team reserves the right to moderate topics that do not adhere to the guidelines in order to keep the forum environment positive and constructive.

I hope that clarifies that. In the simplest way I know how to (and I do apologize in advance if this sounds condescending).We have laid out what you cannot post, but we also decide if something you post (that we have not listed on the no post list) is inappropriate and thus remove it. We are not dictators, but sometimes it may pay you to use some common sense when posting discussions on a forum software support forum. Even in the General Discussion section.
@ Jitendra M
Wouldn’t it be simpler to just put in the rules that jokes are forbidden? I find that simple language is best for forum rules. People rarely read them anyway and making them convoluted is an invitation to misunderstandings and the rules you linked to are what I would call convoluted.
We are not able to list everything so we list guidelines and reserve the right to modify those guidelines and we may interpret them slightly differently by each staffer (we are human after all)

Feel free to post in the forum as you wish given your understanding of the rules. If your posts violate the rules we will moderate accordingly. From this moderation you should understand that the topic you selected is inappropriate and you should not continue to post similar content. Many times we will post the reason for moderation so you can be informed and learn from the action.

However, blatant rule violations are a different matter and will be handled on a case-by-case basis with post moderation and possibly user moderation.

Use your judgment given what we staff have outlined and linked you to, but remember that this forum is primarily a product support forum and not intended to be a place for a user to focus most of his/her time in General Discussion. There are other sites that cater to such if that is what you need.
(2013-11-22, 11:25 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Use your judgment given what we staff have outlined and linked you to, but remember that this forum is primarily a product support forum and not intended to be a place for a user to focus most of his/her time in General Discussion.

What is the required ratio of posts in other parts of the forum compared to General Discussion? My judgement is likely different from forum staff and I would rather not guess.
Please stop stirring the pot.

You are the only person that is having these issues. Thousands of other users can manage to understand the concept of how this forum works, what the intent of it is, and post within the rules.
(2013-11-22, 11:54 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Please stop stirring the pot.

You are the only person that is having these issues. Thousands of other users can manage to understand the concept of how this forum works, what the intent of it is, and post within the rules.

That's not an answer.

The title of this thread is “Questions and comments: Our new rules and guidelines”. I asked questions directly related to this subject and you accuse me of “stirring the pot”.

The answers I’ve gotten in this thread thus far are as clear as mud to me. All I’ve done is ask for clarification about statements you and others made about the rules. To me these statements are confusing and ambiguous. If you can’t answer my questions clearly in plain english then let someone else try.

In addition to my other questions I now wonder if I'm also required to be “like thousands of other users”.
(2013-11-23, 01:38 AM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-22, 11:54 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Please stop stirring the pot.

That's not an answer.

The title of this thread is “Questions and comments: Our new rules and guidelines”. I asked questions directly related to this subject and you accuse me of “stirring the pot”.

The answers I’ve gotten in this thread thus far are as clear as mud to me. All I’ve done is ask for clarification about statements you and others made about the rules. To me these statements are confusing and ambiguous. If you can’t answer my questions clearly in plain english then let someone else try.

In addition to my other questions I now wonder if I'm also required to be “like thousands of other users”.
I think he means to stop being difficult. You shouldn't have to read the rules, they're simple really...
A) Respect others
B) Don't post stupid things (IE: profanity, inappropriate images, etc)
C) Don't spam (bumping, posting irrelevant/useless things)
D) Use the correct forums

Basically, it's just obvious things. Be nice, and don't spam is pretty much what it comes down to. Can you specify which rules you don't understand?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7