MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB over SMF?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
i just installed smf 2(just to import my users from ucoz to MYBB via SMF ) and i have to say that he is superior to mybb 1.6 ;(
when mybb 2.0 will appear ? at least you started working on it?
errrr no why do you think i left smf and if you read around will find other people also converting from smf.
(2010-11-17, 06:40 PM)Evollution Wrote: [ -> ]i just installed smf 2(just to import my users from ucoz to MYBB via SMF ) and i have to say that he is superior to mybb 1.6 ;(
when mybb 2.0 will appear ? at least you started working on it?

MyBB 2.0 will be released when it is ready.
(2010-11-17, 03:47 PM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]There's a lot. Lets see......

You are so deliciously painted a charm of SMF, so it becomes unclear - what is you don't like in it?
(2010-11-17, 07:35 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 will be released when it is ready.

I just wanted to know if there will be version 2.0, or is it just a mythSmile
(2010-11-17, 09:13 PM)Evollution Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-17, 07:35 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 will be released when it is ready.

I'm certain 2.0 will be a rewrite, so it could be two to three years before we see it.
(2010-11-17, 11:20 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-17, 09:13 PM)Evollution Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm certain 2.0 will be a rewrite, so it could be two to three years before we see it.

2.0 will be a rewrite as it says here http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/2.0.0
(2010-11-17, 09:11 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-17, 03:47 PM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]There's a lot. Lets see......

You are so deliciously painted a charm of SMF, so it becomes unclear - what is you don't like in it?

MyBB has modern features and utilities SMF could only dream of. MyBB allows you to convert popular video formats into embed code on your forum. With SMF, you'd need a mod for that.

MyBB allows you to quote multiple people by clicking a simple button without having to refresh the page. You can even cross quote from different threads. A feature SMF never thought of.

MyBB has MyCode and the ability to write and design all of the Help files.

MyBB has the contact bar at the bottom.

MyBB has the simple user group colors within posts. SMF does not and this is a standard feature throughout just about any forum software.

You can edit themes and templates right in the Admin CP for MyBB whereas you cannot in SMF.

Plugins in MyBB usually do not have an issue transferring to custom themes whereas most of the time, they do in SMF and a manual edit is usually called for.

Overall, both have strengths and weaknesses and in the administrative control I feel SMF overshadows MyBB. However, your time isn't spent in the admin panel after initial setup. The majority of your time will b spent posting. And that is where MyBB truly shines. It's far superior features and modern technology make SMF fold.

I will never listen to people that tell me "SMF sucks, MyBB for the win!" because it's childish and quite inaccurate. SMF has admin features that you and only you get to enjoy. MyBB has posting features that you and all of your users get to enjoy. Take your pick.

-I also personally feel the MyBB community is way more cool than the SMF community.
To be fair, when comparing any two softwares you'll always find things that one does really well and one does not so well, and as you're doing, you'll have to pick the one that overall is better, even if there are things you want from the other. Plus I have to say I think you've taken a much more thorough look at both and compared them than what some others do.
(2010-11-16, 01:54 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that's what you'd normally do. Actually copying a post is not something that's going to be needed very often, because then surely you end up having the same discussion in two threads which isn't usually what people want.

If we need to have backups of important posts in an archive, we simply can't copy. It's so natural to copy posts. I was just looking for this tool and trying to make it in the custom Moderation Tools. Can't as well.

Just because people don't talk much about it, it doesn't mean it's not handy. It's because people give up or are afraid to be sent to "Request A Plugin" yet again. A tool box comes with all sizes of tools, even those we don't often use.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11