MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB over SMF?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I moved from smf to mybb there acp is nothing speciaal.
(2010-11-08, 04:30 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]I moved from smf to mybb there acp is nothing speciaal.

expected mate Smile
Yeah... I didn't like SMF, clearly >.>
Everything seemed so meshed together, a bit difficult to sort out with the eyes with the theme it comes with.

And after using vBulletin, Invision, and MyBB, I really prefer the Admin panel on its own separate page - not integrated with the forum like MyBB's Mod CP.
mybb can overcome vb if the developers concentrate. Toungue
(2010-11-08, 04:47 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah... I didn't like SMF, clearly >.>
Everything seemed so meshed together, a bit difficult to sort out with the eyes with the theme it comes with.

And after using vBulletin, Invision, and MyBB, I really prefer the Admin panel on its own separate page - not integrated with the forum like MyBB's Mod CP.
I tried SMF, it was HIDEOUS.

I used smf for about 8 or 9 months then i found mybb and made the switch smf is still in a beta process with its 2.0 they was on rc1.2 when i started and was on rc3 when i switched and have just released rc4 and i expect an rc5 will follow.
I joined mybb in june/july in my testing stages and in august they release 1.6.
Hoping 2.0 will be out sometime within the next 2 years as this is howlong smf have been running ther 2.0 betas at present possibly longer.
Hey guys, thanks very much for the feedback and the links and all that. Though I ask please please please don't turn this into a "SMF sucks! myBB 4eva!"

If anyone has actual constructive feedback between the two then I'm all for that.

So far I have not told everyone "We're making the switch to myBB!" as I've been using myBB for only a few hours so I still have a lot to learn about it. I keep both my SMF forum and myBB forum setup and constantly compare the two, keeping my own thoughts on what I felt were strengths and weaknesses between both.

I'm kinda trying to rush this as the only thing truly missing is our custom theme creation, but that is waiting on this little spar contest to be over.

At the end I honestly don't know so far. There is a lot of stuff I miss from SMF and there are a lot of features I drool over in myBB. So, I'll keep playing with them both and maybe when I'm done and decided which one I'll use, I'll post up the "thoughts between the forums" thread I made to take notes in.
What do you miss from SMF?
mybb have ajax "quick reply" and other cool core ajax features... like inline editing and so on. Actually i don't know any free forum engine that have core ajax quick reply... and ajax deep itegration. That's the one of the reasons for me, when i choosed MyBB... another one is the cool and very simple plugins system and simple ACP. So i choosed MyBB, despite there is no native support for mybb in my country.

I've been testing phpbb, fluxbb, bbpress, punbb, vbulletin, vanilla... they all have + and -, but myBB have all i need for professional community: online chat, blogs, buddy system, reputation system, tags, SEO sitemaps, galleries, ajax fetures, banner plugins, simple inline moderation, and many others for everything your heart desire.

Simple, fast and powerful.
(2010-11-09, 06:43 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]Though I ask please please please don't turn this into a "SMF sucks! myBB 4eva!"

Thats not what i was saying, i was talking from personal experience as i used smf for a while. You'll always get former smf users criticising smf and i'm sure with people switch the other way mybb->smf that they also criticise mybb on there support forum i bet i could find some threads over there if i looked.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11