MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Huge MyBB Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2011-03-14, 03:10 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I take it.

(2011-03-14, 03:23 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Size does not matter.

(2011-03-14, 03:38 PM)pg001 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get me wrong but most of the forum which pass the 100k posts mark in mybb face constant sql errors and db lockups.

We're about to hit 100k, with over 1.5k daily, and we haven't had not one SQL error.
(2011-03-14, 03:38 PM)pg001 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get me wrong but most of the forum which pass the 100k posts mark in mybb face constant sql errors and db lockups.

Few problems;

1 - As there aren't a huge number of forums that exceed that number, MyBB hasn't yet been perfectly optimized for huge boards. If you're monitoring the suggestions forum, though, many suggestions have already been made for performance increases.
2 - As mentioned before, this is also an issue relating to your host. Trying to run a large forum on a small, shared host is only going to cause you headaches regardless of software.
3 - How do you know that other forums haven't made performance tweaks such as those made for MyBB? I wouldn't doubt that several other BBS are equipped slightly better for higher loads than MyBB, but I figured it went without saying that each board has to make it's own tweaks to solves unique problems.
4 - Your experience with large boards comes from..?

(2011-03-14, 08:45 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-03-14, 03:10 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I take it.

(2011-03-14, 03:23 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Size does not matter.

Toungue

I figured I'd get a response.
Quote:1 - As there aren't a huge number of forums that exceed that number, MyBB hasn't yet been perfectly optimized for huge boards. If you're monitoring the suggestions forum, though, many suggestions have already been made for performance increases.

That's correct. I've been giving my best feedback to dev team I can about issues I face. Right now I'm seeing some issues with queries that should be called from datacache instead. The shame is that MyBB has all the groundwork there imho to be optimal for big boards. It just needs some careful consideration with implementation.

However most forums under 500k posts will very very well under MyBB with a low-resource dedicated. I'm running SupportForums.net right now from a $10 a month shared host which has a couple dozen other sites on it too. No problems with performance.
(2011-03-15, 02:28 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]However most forums under 500k posts will very very well under MyBB with a low-resource dedicated. I'm running SupportForums.net right now from a $10 a month shared host which has a couple dozen other sites on it too. No problems with performance.

If i remember correctly when my forum had around 100k posts we went to a VPS.. but it all depends too of course on the activity on the board and how many visitors..

200 visitors in an hour is different than 200 visitors in 5 minutes..

If it's not too much to ask? What where your hosting needs when you had around 800K posts and 200 visitors in 5 minutes with hf?

Who was your shared host though? And what plugins were you running? There are a lot of factors.

Quote:What where your hosting needs when you had around 800K posts and 200 visitors in 5 minutes with hf?

A single dedicated with other sites I ran. I don't use VPS. I think they're crap and not much cheaper than a dedicated.
Well i have a "dark" one. That's not a great forum in posts, (150k) but there's 121k members.
So, i'm easily on the toplist in the registered members category. Smile

200-250 visitors/5 min.
I run it on a VPS with 2Gb ram.
Actually, If you run the "original" MyBB without any mods installed.
You'll get best and fast performance, even with low resources of shared-hosting.

But, if you comparing Big MyBB with other Big Forum Software. MyBB will beat and win performance.

Try to look this "autobot" very huge huge forum with 10 millions posts Wink
http://sandbox.metamorpher.de/
(2011-03-15, 02:28 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running SupportForums.net right now from a $10 a month shared host which has a couple dozen other sites on it too. No problems with performance.

If you don't mind me asking, who is it? My current plan is about to run out and I've been looking around for a better deal.

(2011-03-17, 04:10 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, If you run the "original" MyBB without any mods installed.
You'll get best and fast performance, even with low resources of shared-hosting.

But, if you comparing Big MyBB with other Big Forum Software. MyBB will beat and win performance.

Try to look this "autobot" very huge huge forum with 10 millions posts Wink
http://sandbox.metamorpher.de/

LOL what the f**k is that?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9