MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Huge MyBB Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yeah obviously a lot of custom work will have to be done anyway. Just wondering if it's worth recommending MyBB or if I should recommend something else (commercial, maybe).
No matter what you recomend its gonna need a lot of work. I'd recomend getting someone experienced with whichever software you choose to confirm your decision as the best.
(2011-03-18, 02:31 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah obviously a lot of custom work will have to be done anyway. Just wondering if it's worth recommending MyBB or if I should recommend something else (commercial, maybe).

Is the goal a forum? I mean if you're going to use any old forum software package MyBB stands up to the best of them. Making adjustments to MyBB will likely be just as easy as adjustments to VB or IPB. Plus MyBB should have less load than those.

One weakness right now in MyBB is cache. It's not utilized properly. I've recently discovered this.

Really every query counts at that level. I still advise custom.
(2011-03-09, 01:53 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]But let's compare HF to top forums software.

#1 as MyBB
#1 against any SMF
#2 against any PHPBB
#5 against any IPB

Not true http://forum.burek.com/ has 9451705 and over a million members.
We will probably go custom Labrocca, was just wondering how people thought about that, maybe we will use MyBB and just strip it down insanely.
A million users, must include public users eh?

The last few companies I've been with just used Sharepoint, god, I hate the forum software with it.
(2011-03-18, 07:44 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]We will probably go custom Labrocca, was just wondering how people thought about that, maybe we will use MyBB and just strip it down insanely.

That's a total option imho. Just know from moment one that you're immediately breaking from the tree.

Quote:Not true http://forum.burek.com/ has 9451705 and over a million members.

I'll be passing that site in 2-3 months easily. I prune 0 post members but I've had 720k registrations. And I've had 10.5 million posts but I prune those too. That site has had 8M posts. So I'm still bigger.
(2011-03-18, 08:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be passing that site in 2-3 months easily. I prune 0 post members but I've had 720k registrations. And I've had 10.5 million posts but I prune those too. That site has had 8M posts. So I'm still bigger.

A lot of people with their ego would never prune stats, quite admirable really.

Isn't going custom going to produce the same sort of risks MyBB could produce when a large amount of users are using it? I'm sure a completely stripped down version with a lot of attention can cope.
(2011-03-17, 04:10 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, If you run the "original" MyBB without any mods installed.
You'll get best and fast performance, even with low resources of shared-hosting.

But, if you comparing Big MyBB with other Big Forum Software. MyBB will beat and win performance.

Try to look this "autobot" very huge huge forum with 10 millions posts Wink
http://sandbox.metamorpher.de/

Wow, I wish I could accomplish that myself for the hell of it.
(2011-03-18, 08:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be passing that site in 2-3 months easily. I prune 0 post members but I've had 720k registrations. And I've had 10.5 million posts but I prune those too. That site has had 8M posts. So I'm still bigger.

So that's why HF is at like 300K or something, I can't check because my ISP blocks connection to HF now.
(2011-03-19, 12:23 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't going custom going to produce the same sort of risks MyBB could produce when a large amount of users are using it? I'm sure a completely stripped down version with a lot of attention can cope.

It wouldn't even resemble MyBB at the end of the day anyways, so when push comes to shove it doesn't matter to be quite frank. Any team managing a 1m+ userbase would have to be on it's toes 24/7 to fix security holes, performance issues, and other bugs, not to mention actually manage the forum. At that point your starting software's impact will be negligible. There are only a handful of sites out there that house this many users so no forum software is exactly an ideal candidate I wouldn't think.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9