MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Huge MyBB Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
My company is looking at opening a forum and it would need to be able to handle over a million users. I wonder how MyBB would do if I pitched it.
(2011-03-17, 04:35 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]My company is looking at opening a forum and it would need to be able to handle over a million users. I wonder how MyBB would do if I pitched it.

a millions users would tax any forum software.your issue would be bandwidth and hardware related. that and i'd really look into the the sphinx search and pre-parse plugins from Ryan and make those work on 1.6.2.

And I would suggest the same for any board with a million users.
Well yeah obviously we would make sure there's adequate hardware and bandwidth. Just wondering if the software itself would have inherent issues at that scale.
should be fine, the two plugins i mentioned would help a bunch though
(2011-03-17, 06:21 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Well yeah obviously we would make sure there's adequate hardware and bandwidth. Just wondering if the software itself would have inherent issues at that scale.

You would have problems. When you run mass scale like that you need custom software that's stripped down. You'd have to butcher MyBB for that size of a forum. Because at that size even one extra query on a page can matter.

Using MyBB would require more hardware. The savings in hardware could be used to code custom software.

An example of a mass scale forum is of course Gaia. Sure it's phpbb (or it was) but it was stripped down to it's bare essentials.

You're also talking about a million users. Any default forum software would have issues and require some fine-tuning.
IMO get your company to hire labrocca for a few weeks to train your IT guys. You likely can't get a better tutor.
>implying labrocca deals with over 1000000 users
HF gets almost a million monthly unique visitors. Does that count?
Smile

But he is talking about members and the DB activity for that is going to make a vast difference. A table with a few million records does have different requirements. Almost for sure you're going to want MySQL 5.5 and InnoDB. It's by far the best improvement in MySQL in 3 version.

FBI is that a real forum? Or, just one like generated for testing purposes because the last person registered is admin and the stats don't look right.
That's a testing forum for a plugin which creates random junk posts. Did you review the content? It's pointless.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9