MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB.com Slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Had issues a few weeks ago, but not as of late.
The last issue I had, I believe it was a problem with my ISP & certain sites hosted at the same data center of MyBB.com

After I got a completely new IP from a different gateway from my ISP, everything was blazing again. No problems since then.
(2012-01-06, 07:38 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]No one knows sysadmin of MyBB software more than me. That's a fact.

That is most definately true. MyBB really does need someone that does nothing but manage the server to prevent things like this.

Off topic: Labrocca, about how many subscribers do you have on HF, SF, and MyBBCentral?
I've been getting bad gateway errors for a while now and the site does indeed seem to suffer random periods of excessive slowdown.

On another note, +rep for labrocca for such a generous offer.
Have a discussion with Tim (he's away at the moment though) about it. MyBB's setup is pretty complex so I'm not sure how a migration would work.

With Chris being away it's obviously difficult to manage. Although I'm sure we recently moved servers (or planned to). Either way, Chris picks up a lot of the costs.
Quote:Have a discussion with Tim (he's away at the moment though) about it. MyBB's setup is pretty complex so I'm not sure how a migration would work.

Nothing I can't personally handle. I already run a very complex setup that I not only self-manage but setup from scratch.

Best way would be to get specs and requirements and I do a complete setup. Then once server needs and setup are complete we begin to move site. Since you run subdomains you can do one piece at a time.

Quote:Off topic: Labrocca, about how many subscribers do you have on HF, SF, and MyBBCentral?

I won't say exact numbers. But you can be sure it's a serious number.
I have certainly noticed the performance issues too, but Chris is usually relatively diligent when it comes to the server. Unfortunately he has been overseas for the last month and a half so he hasn't been able to deal with recent issues.

I'll send Chris an email now, I think our current infrastructure is sufficient but we could probably benefit from a service like cloudflare.
Considering this is a "community" based project...why does 1 person control anything?

Expand the server control to top devs or those with knowledge (staff) so this does not happen.
Those of us wanting to donate have not been able to since who knows when....

Sorry to sound so brash but it doesn't make sense to me Huh
(2012-01-10, 02:19 PM)Vapor Wrote: [ -> ]Considering this is a "community" based project...why does 1 person control anything?

Development wise it is a community based project, but not everything needs to be ran by the community.

(2012-01-10, 02:19 PM)Vapor Wrote: [ -> ]Expand the server control to top devs or those with knowledge (staff) so this does not happen.

I believe Chris, Tim, and Dennis all have some form of server access but there is an internal discussion about this.

(2012-01-10, 02:19 PM)Vapor Wrote: [ -> ]Those of us wanting to donate have not been able to since who knows when....

That's out of our hands. You can blame PayPal.
The bad gateway message is something that's happening on the server itself rather than a problem with the network, so it's up to server admin to solve whatever is causing it.

I don't want to be the one hosting mybb.com. Technically it's not a problem but the DDoS is the real kicker. If you are the target of such attacks (with >100Mbit or even >1Gbit incoming) there is simply nothing you as server administrator can do - it's the hoster/datacenter that has to deal with it, and there are few that do, and those are expensive.

DDoS attacks are very popular at the moment, there's a bug in various gameservers that can make them send data packets to arbitrary IPs. So with several 10'000 gameservers online you can initiate a high bandwidth DDoS attack to anywhere with very little effort. It's scary...
Thanks nathan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8