MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB.com Slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Why I think more staff should have server access so this doesn't keep happening. A guy leaves country and the server gets slowwwwww with noone to fix it...lol

That too has been brought up in the staff discussion of this topic. Rest assured, we are not just sitting around hoping for it to fix itself... as I do with my sites.

Patience is the key, however. People lead busy lives and weighing up options, costs and who to leave in charge takes time.
MyBB is extremely slow right now for me, I get 502'd every second page.
Thx Ryan, as most are frustrated...we hope things get fixed up properly.

Side note: I dont care that much about the santa hat...lol
You're right, we can break down small things and say they aren't big deals, but it is something that needs correcting. A staff team with their hands tied isn't useful to anyone.

Lets hope the speed gets resolved soon.
labrocca Wrote:I can get them a dual quad core for about $200 a month. MyBB doesn't need much imho and even a $120-$150 server would run this site well but for $200 this site would run on that server for maybe 2-3 years without change in hardware.

labrocca Wrote:Should all fit on a $250 server. At least one that is self-managed. My datacenter has very good prices mainly because of that fact.

A dual quad with 12GB ram, dual hard drives and a couple other upgrades would work imho.

Unsure what Chris pays now exactly and what the specs are but certainly something ain't so good.
With all due respect labrocca, I don't think you can make that call - you don't know the amount of traffic our current servers are pushing, as well as the resource utilization (extremely heavy) of things such as RedMine, etc.

labrocca Wrote:A few things are obvious for MyBB. It does experience DDOS attacks. It does run a few subdomain projects. It may benefit from special modules for both security and optimization.
The current infrastructure is as optimized as it can be. You can only do so much to protect against DDOS attacks, which I'll come right out and say, have been happening almost daily and we've been sitting behind Arbor devices for over a month now in an attempt to thawte them off.

Now, there was a comment somewhere about who has access to the server in case something happens to myself. Rest assured, there's appropriate controls in place surrounding that in the unlikely event that occurs.

To keep on topic, here's what's happening at the moment:

The current two servers are under extreme load. There are several bots (not legitimate) that continue to spring up and crawl the entire forum - they're not easily identifiable.

Work will be underway over the next few days to alleviate some of the load, and traffic will be shifted from Seattle to Chicago where I've got new equipment going in right now that I'll be taking over ownership/management of, instead of in a dedicated facility like we're in now.

I ask that everyone has a bit of patience - every spare second of my jetlagged (and sick from a terrible cold body is trying to deal with the issues we're seeing right now, and make the improvements I mentioned above.
Chris, speed is much better now.
Follow up was appreciated Chris, thanks for the heads up.
(2012-01-12, 11:11 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Chris, speed is much better now.

Agreed. Don't know if you did anything Chris but the speed now is the fastest I've probably seen this site, at least in the last 6 months. Hoping it doesn't deteriorate again though.
Quote:With all due respect labrocca, I don't think you can make that call - you don't know the amount of traffic our current servers are pushing, as well as the resource utilization (extremely heavy) of things such as RedMine, etc.

Absolutely. You're right. I'm only speculating. I hope I didn't offend you.

Quote:The current infrastructure is as optimized as it can be. You can only do so much to protect against DDOS attacks, which I'll come right out and say, have been happening almost daily and we've been sitting behind Arbor devices for over a month now in an attempt to thawte them off.

To be honest I believe I can do more. I've done some nifty things that have completely minimized the effects of a DDOS. It's now rare that I have downtime from DDOS.

Quote:The current two servers are under extreme load. There are several bots (not legitimate) that continue to spring up and crawl the entire forum - they're not easily identifiable.

I see them constantly too. You can stop most of them. If you want PM me and I'll share some tricks.

Quote:Work will be underway over the next few days to alleviate some of the load, and traffic will be shifted from Seattle to Chicago where I've got new equipment going in right now that I'll be taking over ownership/management of, instead of in a dedicated facility like we're in now.

Excellent to hear.

Just an FYI Chris for you to compare my setup. I serve a million pages per day. I really can't see how even with redmine you need more resources than me.

And it's awesome to see you make a post. I miss the old days when you were active. Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8