MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB.com Slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
same here, its comparatively slow as compared to other sits Sad
I noticed the slow speed as soon as i arrived here.
I checked the who is online page and there was nearly 100 registrations or logins.
Yet on the online today bit it says only 15 members active.
So this must mean there bots trying to register yes?
Is mybb weak against xrumer and spam tools like that?
I mean it does not look good so many attempted registrations all day.
I am sure that will be adding load to the server?
(2012-01-20, 05:15 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed the slow speed as soon as i arrived here.
I checked the who is online page and there was nearly 100 registrations or logins.
Yet on the online today bit it says only 15 members active.
So this must mean there bots trying to register yes?
Is mybb weak against xrumer and spam tools like that?
I mean it does not look good so many attempted registrations all day.
I am sure that will be adding load to the server?

You see, you confuse MyBB as a software with server administration. MyBB is strong against xrumer by virtue of the fact the bots rarely ever register. They get stuck at the login screen. A hacker could do this to any site. Point a hundred bots at any site and they'll appear in the list. It doesn't mean mybb is weak against them.
(2012-01-20, 07:53 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]They get stuck at the login screen. A hacker could do this to any site. Point a hundred bots at any site and they'll appear in the list. It doesn't mean mybb is weak against them.

Exactly what we have been telling you at another site i am aware of lolz.
Yet at other side you deny this and here you accept it as fact?
Which one of you is telling the truth?
(2012-01-20, 09:52 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-20, 07:53 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]They get stuck at the login screen. A hacker could do this to any site. Point a hundred bots at any site and they'll appear in the list. It doesn't mean mybb is weak against them.

No you said mybb is "weak against xrumer bots" which evidently isnt true, because they can't get past the login screen. Why does it not look good? Surely it looks great, MyBB prevents the bots from registering and spamming. Thus your site is safe from spam. There are no real software features that can prevent them "attempting" to login or register, other than the fact that they are locked out for 15 minutes after a number of failed login attempts.

(2012-01-20, 10:08 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]

No you said mybb is "weak against xrumer bots" which evidently isnt true, because they can't get past the login screen. Why does it not look good? Surely it looks great, MyBB prevents the bots from registering and spamming. Thus your site is safe from spam. There are no real software features that can prevent them "attempting" to login or register, other than the fact that they are locked out for 15 minutes after a number of failed login attempts.

Keep telling yourself that Tom.
I see many mybb sites being forced to use crazy spam prevention.
Completely destroying the usability of the forum.
Look at the ban rate here?
Many get through Tom, many get through.
(2012-01-20, 10:12 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-20, 10:08 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]

Keep telling yourself that Tom.
I see many mybb sites being forced to use crazy spam prevention.
Completely destroying the usability of the forum.
Look at the ban rate here?
Many get through Tom, many get through.

It's the same for other software too. When I used vBulletin I had about 3 ant-spam plugins installed and bots still got through at least daily. Same with when I was with phpBB.
(2012-01-20, 10:22 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]It's the same for other software too. When I used vBulletin I had about 3 ant-spam plugins installed and bots still got through at least daily. Same with when I was with phpBB.

Well ya must not know what your doing?
I have been running vB for years. And i cant remember the last spammer i had.
Well i can but perhaps 1 in the last 6 months.
The trick is to not get onto the database the spammers use.
When they know a certain release is vulnerable like mybb is now they will hit every high pr site and even some of the low ones for backlinks.
It dont matter how long they even last.
To just blast this place and get 1 link a day in would be worth while for them IMHO.
Whether I know what I'm doing or not is purely a matter of opinion. Obviously, I'm going to say that I do have a basic knowledge (at least) of how to administrate a forum/server. I was running modifications such as Is Bot and vbStopForumSpam - both of which helped at first, but slowly lost their advantage over time.

In my honest opinion, the best defence is made at the server level rather than software level. I just block IPs known to be spammers and utilise services such as SpamHaus. When I put these measures in place, the number of nasty bots visiting my sites was vastly reduced.
(2012-01-20, 10:29 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]Well ya must not know what your doing?
I have been running vB for years. And i cant remember the last spammer i had.
I was an admin at a vb forum and we had a team of 12 moderators simply removing spam from the forums. The site grew to nearly 100k users and over 3 million posts. The owner was great, and paid for anything we could get our hands on to slow down the spammers. It didn't work. Eventually the cost of standing up to DDoS attacks form hackers and spammers closed the site due to high server costs.

(2012-01-20, 10:29 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]Well i can but perhaps 1 in the last 6 months.
And how active is your site? Considering mybb gets at least 500 posts per day, sometimes over 1000.

(2012-01-20, 10:29 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]The trick is to not get onto the database the spammers use.
Enlighten us on how you do that then. Almighty spam repeller...

(2012-01-20, 10:29 AM)TomN Wrote: [ -> ]When they know a certain release is vulnerable like mybb is now they will hit every high pr site and even some of the low ones for backlinks.
1. They may know a release is vulnerable, but on a froum the version number is not visible, so they can't target specific sites from that.
2. MyBB is not currently in a vulnerable state.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8