MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Like system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2012-02-10, 10:31 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-10, 08:45 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-10, 08:09 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]You should always keep in mind that the more core features you have, the more potential vulnerabilities you are exposed to.
In my example, it would be easy to keep the 10 core feature software up-to-date, than the 1500 core feature one. If it's easy to uninstall a plugin and get rid of its vulnerabilities, it's impossible to uninstall a core feature...

I don't really know about that. XenForo has 3 confirmed bug reports (6 open reports) with tons of core features, MyBB has 16 confirmed on just the first page (139 open reports) with arguably a lot less core features. It's just all about how you implement them really. (And on top of that Xenforo only has two developers)

xenofobia = 6 open reports = 6 known bugs... how many SQA members do they have? How many real unknown bugs do they have?
MyBB = 139 open reports = SQA team working really hard to detect bugs..

+
You'll never make me believe that a huge software such as XF has only 6 bugs... You probably don't know PHP (PHP itself has multiple bugs)

They have no SQA members, doesn't mean if they added a couple their bug report count would dramatically increase, Jessie reports bugs here and he isn't SQA, so members are just as capable... Not saying they wouldn't find more, and I'm by no means trying to say Xenforo is better or anything, one is paid and one is free, they're entirely different things, I'm just saying, they have tons more features and less bugs. Even if they had the same amount of bugs as MyBB, they have more core features, so imo it's how it's coded, not how many features there are.

I know a little PHP, enough to write a couple custom plugins anyways, but I still feel if I knew a lot of it I'd feel the same.

Kier Wrote:Go ahead and try. XenForo's template system is highly resilient to accidental XSS, as you will see when we demonstrate its workings.

I was watching a demonstration video somewhere, and I believe it's lack of XSS vulnerabilities really helps to keep the amount of bugs down (Considering half of 1.6.6 is XSS fixes)

But again, I'm not saying one's better than the other, just weighing the amount of core features against the amount of bugs I can find and making a decision about core features from that.
(2012-02-10, 08:09 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to make you guys sad, but if you're currently using the Like system (like me), you will lose everything if it becomes a core feature, I am 99.99% that MyBB team isn't going to suit they core features with plugins.

IF it made it into the core since it's a pretty much just a single column in the post table it wouldn't be that hard to bring the likes from the plugin when you updated to 2.0.
Personally not a huge fan of the thank you system, though I can picture a lot of people enjoying it as a sort of built in plugin you can enable or disable, just like you can do with reputation.
(2012-02-11, 03:48 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]IF it made it into the core since it's a pretty much just a single column in the post table it wouldn't be that hard to bring the likes from the plugin when you updated to 2.0.

Two columns in posts table and new table in database, remember about scaling whole thing up for forums where such feature sees huge use.
You know, I wouldn't mind a dirt simple version being core. There are a lot of posts I see (Here even) that are like "Yea, that's Exactly what I thought" A like button cuts down on those.
(2012-02-10, 08:45 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really know about that. XenForo has 3 confirmed bug reports (6 open reports) with tons of core features, MyBB has 16 confirmed on just the first page (139 open reports) with arguably a lot less core features. It's just all about how you implement them really. (And on top of that Xenforo only has two developers)

Considering Xenforo is using a well built framework, less bugs will be found within Xenoforo and more would be found within Zend Framework itself. ZF has 2,391 open bug reports.

(2012-02-10, 11:18 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really know about that. XenForo has 3 confirmed bug reports (6 open reports) with tons of core features, MyBB has 16 confirmed on just the first page (139 open reports) with arguably a lot less core features. It's just all about how you implement them really. (And on top of that Xenforo only has two developers)

Actually, a good handful of those are my bug reports and have been confirmed by myself. It's just procedure to either let other SQA team members confirm the issue, or have the developers fix it directly. We have three SQA team members currently, and I've been taking time off work to work with MyBB and the rest of the team.

Just because the bugs aren't reported doesn't mean they don't exist. I can assure you right now that XF has hundreds of bugs.

(2012-02-10, 11:18 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]I was watching a demonstration video somewhere, and I believe it's lack of XSS vulnerabilities really helps to keep the amount of bugs down (Considering half of 1.6.6 is XSS fixes)

XSS vulnerabilities don't keep the number of bugs down. People who don't report bugs keep the number of bugs down.

The whole point of development is that there are bugs in the software that need to be patched.
Unfortunately your post just seemed to be defending MyBB (In some way), even though I was far from insulting it. You really never even addressed the point of if core features cause more bugs or not, which is the main topic I was getting at with my post.
(2012-02-12, 12:12 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately your post just seemed to be defending MyBB (In some way), even though I was far from insulting it. You really never even addressed the point of if core features cause more bugs or not, which is the main topic I was getting at with my post.

I was going off certain points that you made. But I think to answer that;

(2012-02-11, 08:43 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]The whole point of development is that there are bugs in the software that need to be patched.

Of course, more code means more possibility of bugs. It's inevitable. But again;

(2012-02-11, 08:43 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Just because the bugs aren't reported doesn't mean they don't exist.

Bugs and known bugs are two different things.
Another point I'd like to make then, if it's a great feature wouldn't it be better to have it bugged in the code (Which would mean it'd be fixed as long as the forum software is still supported) rather than to have it bugged in a plugin? If it's bugged in the plugin, there are chances the author might not be experienced enough to fix it, or possibly that they drop support for the plugin all together.

(2012-02-12, 01:26 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Another point I'd like to make then, if it's a great feature wouldn't it be better to have it bugged in the code (Which would mean it'd be fixed as long as the forum software is still supported) rather than to have it bugged in a plugin?

It depends on the experience of the developer. If they have enough knowledge to build such as plugin, they'll most likely have the ability to fix any issues which should arise.

(2012-02-12, 01:26 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]If it's bugged in the plugin, there are chances the author might not be experienced enough to fix it, or possibly that they drop support for the plugin all together.

Many of plugins released are released under an open source license. Because of this, anyone could take up development. If they're not experienced enough to fix the issue then they can always ask on the forums. That's what they're there for.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8