MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Like system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
So you'd leave a potentially great feature out because of the possibility that someone *might* release it open source, *might* keep it updated, or even if it's released open source, someone *might* pick it up after and continue coding it?
(2012-02-12, 02:01 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]So you'd leave a potentially great feature out because of the possibility that someone *might* release it open source, *might* keep it updated, or even if it's released open source, someone *might* pick it up after and continue coding it?

It depends on how you define 'great feature'. There are plenty of people who think that a blog or shoutbox as core would be a great feature. That doesn't mean we're going to include them.
So it should be core because someone *might* not make a plugin? Well damn, by that logic everything should be core.

Edit: ninja'd by Nathan ruining the effect of my statement.
Okay, so me feeling gangbanged out of the picture, by your logic we should just leave every feature out of the picture because it can all be a plugin. No need for user profiles, board stats, calendar, etc.. Just put all the work on the community.
I never said that, just pointing out flaws in your logic. Personally I wouldn't mind the like feature becoming core. But, you have to draw the line somewhere which is my point. For example, I wouldn't like profile comments to be implemented.
(2012-02-12, 02:08 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so me feeling gangbanged out of the picture, by your logic we should just leave every feature out of the picture because it can all be a plugin. No need for user profiles, board stats, calendar, etc.. Just put all the work on the community.

I'm not saying that at all. Features that are needed should be included. Plugins are there to provide enhancements and addition features.

I would never use a like system on any forum. The same goes for a shoutbox, gallery, or anything else like that. Because they're not needed for every forum. Every forum needs profiles, stats, etc... Otherwise it wouldn't be a forum.

Edit - Didn't realize Alex had posted...
I don't agree with that. Some sites might not need stats at all, or a subscribe feature, or possibly even a PM feature.

Features should make it into a software because they will see usage on a very *high* number of forums, not every single one. Just because you won't personally use it doesn't mean a lot of people won't.
Typical 2.0 discussion...

Eric J.,
are you using Windows?? Linux?? Mac?? OK
What browser are you honestly using?? IE? Firefox? Chrome? Safari? Opera??....

Well surpriiiiiiiiiiise... What you're using isn't a core feature, and it hasn't even been developed by the operating system company... It's sort of a "plugin" to the operating system.. But you're still using it and maybe even a fan of it.

Plugins = creativity!

There's nothing wrong in using plugins, why would you want EVERYTHING YOU qualify of IMPORTANT as core feature?

Don't get me wrong, I'm using the like system on my board and everyone likes it, I find the plugin flawless, I don't see any reason to making it a core feature.

MyBB team would better concentrate on the "forum" software itself rather than """"""important""""" features...
I still don't understand how you're classifying important. Any core feature available now (For instance this quick reply box) would never have even been considered in a forum software years ago. But now it's a default feature. If they would have all used your logic, forum software would still be ancient, still be flat and boring, and not be at the level it is now. If MyBB decides to stick with the same, extremely basic things, they aren't accepting that times are changing, and open the possibility of being left behind in the forum market.

Quote:why would you want EVERYTHING YOU qualify of IMPORTANT as core feature?
Yeah, because I'm totally asking for everything I think is important here. >.>

Quote:Well surpriiiiiiiiiiise... What you're using isn't a core feature, and it hasn't even been developed by the operating system company... It's sort of a "plugin" to the operating system.. But you're still using it and maybe even a fan of it.
So you're taking me for an idiot now? And what does this have to do with anything. I never said I didn't like plugins, I love them for things like wikis, blogs, arcade, a portal, but simple things such as likes? No, I really don't think I need to upload 3+ files and maintain yet another product for something so simple and commonly used as that.
You are probably unaware of what a forum software is.

I suggest you read this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_software

To keep you updated on the "basic" features of a forum software in 2012, I suggest you visit this page :
http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator

Like-my-post-please isn't in any way a basic feature... Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8